+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you're getting shin splints I would see a podiatrist or at the very least a Physio and get your gait properly assessed. They can then advise what type of shoe would best suit you - not all 'supportive' shoes are the same and everyone has a slightly different foot type.

Training in the wrong shoe can cause massive problems down the track. Talk to anyone that's ever had plantar fasciitis/heel spur/fracture which will all put an end to your boot camp (and cause you a lot of pain) potentially for months.

I would also exercise caution using those foot pads at athletes foot etc. They're shop assistants trained to sell you shoes, not health professionals.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (24-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Training shoes

Get shoes that are for cross training. If you exercise regularly you should buy new shoes every 6 months, depending on how they wear.

I have had brooks the last 2 times and saucony before that. I wouldn't use Skechers for exercise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    If you're getting shin splints I would see a podiatrist or at the very least a Physio and get your gait properly assessed. They can then advise what type of shoe would best suit you - not all 'supportive' shoes are the same and everyone has a slightly different foot type.

Training in the wrong shoe can cause massive problems down the track. Talk to anyone that's ever had plantar fasciitis/heel spur/fracture which will all put an end to your boot camp (and cause you a lot of pain) potentially for months.

I would also exercise caution using those foot pads at athletes foot etc. They're shop assistants trained to sell you shoes, not health professionals.
    Yep, I've had plantar fasciitis. Horrendous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I agree with this. OP, here in VIC I buy my shoes from a shoe shop staffed by podiatrists. Maybe it's worth seeing if there's something similar where you are?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Thanks I will definitely try get in to see a podiatrist I didn't realise shin splints were so bad

7. The Following User Says Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (24-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    Thanks I will definitely try get in to see a podiatrist I didn't realise shin splints were so bad
    I didn't mean to freak you out btw, shin splints are more of a warning, which it sounds like you're listening to .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

loodle  (24-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    Shin splints often go away as soon as you buy properly fitted shoes. I used to do a lot of running (like 30km every weekend) and would sometimes forget when I needed to replace my shoes. As soon as I got a shin splint it was time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    I agree with this. OP, here in VIC I buy my shoes from a shoe shop staffed by podiatrists. Maybe it's worth seeing if there's something similar where you are?
    I didn't know there was such a thing. What is the name/location of the shop?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Brooks- hands down. My podiatrist recommended them to me. I have a pair for exercise and black pair for work (I'm a nurse) never have aching feet since. My DH has shin splints and wears orthotics he sees a podiatrist and physio all of which would only recommend brooks. I have a wide foot too which is why other brands have never worked well for me, They crush my feet. I always look at people's feet as they can tell SO much about a persons health not many people look after their feet properly. Even look at your everyday footwear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
    I didn't know there was such a thing. What is the name/location of the shop?
    In Vic I went to a place called active feet. The one in Prahran.
    I was exactly the same. Shin splints ALL the time!
    They ended up fitting me with Brooks - never had shin splints again

They said that my feet were rolling in and that the brooks were my last resort of 'normal' shoes. Next step would have been orthotics.

Best move ever getting professionals to check your feet.
    Beat of luck x