+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Next time give her a list too!
    I would but I'm not materialistic (my birthday wasn't long ago and everyone kept asking & I was like I don't really need anything. as I said earlier for my birthday I'd rather go out have a good feed somewhere with a few drinks and have the night off cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    Oh dear. That's pretty bad! I thought it was bad that BIL and SIL write lists of expensive crap for extended family to buy for their kids!
    Yeh I was a bit surprised the first year we got her list. Her birthday is 2 weeks after Christmas so it's expected we get something for chrissy off the list and turn around 2 weeks later and get another one. She's the type to blow her stack if DH is at work and doesn't call to wish a happy birthday but calls a day later for one of the kids birthdays and not at all for mine. As I said double standards. So rather then worry is rather do nothing at all and save the money we can't always afford ESP when DH isn't in his normal role & between jobs now it's quiet in his sector.

At Xmas we buy for the kids. We also buy for my siblings and partners sister (plus their partners too) and our patents. We don't bother with aunties and uncles etc

We agreed on a set amount for siblings & nieces/nephews amongst our families (spend whatever we want on parents). Is that an option? Could you find a figure that is comfortable & agreeable?

I like to budget for all gifts over the year so this helps to plan. Also takes any awkwardness out of varying contributions.

Another idea is to agree to spend time together in lieu of presents. I.e., all families go to a theme park/theatre/event & you pay for your family.