+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Transition from 2 to 1 Day Sleep and Length of Sleep

My LO is 15.5 months and we are in the process of transitioning from 2 down to 1 day sleep.

We have been following the SOS routine timings loosely from around 4mo, and this has worked well for us.

Current 2 sleep routine has him awake for 3h45m between naps, and sleeping no later than around 4.15pm to achieve a 7pm bedtime. This works perfectly - although the afternoon nap is often cut short due to the awake time bringing him close to 3:30 by the time he goes down - and he sleeps soundly until 7am most nights (unless he is unwell, teething etc).

He has been sleeping roughly 1h15m at each of these nap times, so roughly a total of 2-2.5hrs sleep over the entire day.

Now that we are moving to 1 sleep, he seems to only be sleeping for the 1h15m. I had assumed he would automatically stretch to a ~2hr nap, but it doesn't seem to be happening. I have tried leaving him in his cot until we get to the 2hr mark, and he doesn't cry or whinge, but on the monitor I can see he fusses around and doesn't end up going back to sleep. Sometimes he lays down as if he is trying but doesn't seem to be able to get there.

Is this just a "wait it out, and he'll get it" situation and the day sleep will naturally stretch out longer once he realises he's not getting another sleep later on, or should I be going in to help him resettle. He has a dummy but it doesn't interrupt his sleep if it drops out. If he wakes he just grabs it and pops it back in if he wants it. He is put down awake and he rolls over and self settles at all other sleep times so I'm hesitant to interfere.

Any tips?

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Transition from 2 to 1 Day Sleep and Length of Sleep

It took around a month, maybe even longer for dd1 to stretch out the big day nap. She just did it on her own. It was a long and painful transition with many an early night lol.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

MayGal959  (23-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. It makes bedtime pretty easy actually because he's wrecked but I just wasn't sure if I should be doing something to encourage him to rest longer. I'll just stay consistent and hopefully he'll stretch naturally!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In my experience, it will stretch out gradually on its own as he gets used to only having one sleep. Hard in the meantime!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

MayGal959  (23-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's good to know, thanks so much!

I'm very lucky that he is a generally happy (cheeky) boy and sleeps well so a shorter sleep in the transition period isn't going to be the end of the world 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What's the main reason you're moving to one sleep? Is it because he's naturally stretching out his awake time in between?

My 2 kids were quite different from each other in this regard. DD started to flat out refuse her morning nap and so we stopped bothering and brought her afternoon sleep forward to lunchtime, she quickly started sleeping 1-3hrs for her nap. DS on the other hand loved his morning sleep and I probably encouraged him to stretch it out rather than wait for him to be ready. Once we settled into a one nap routine (took about a month to settle into it) he started consistently sleeping for 2hrs.

I think if they are ready to go to one nap, once they get used to it they will generally do a decent block of sleep. But it does take time and they might need an early bedtime for a bit as they adjust.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What times are you doing the naps? That's critical in a transition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Cue partly because he's been on and off refusing his afternoon nap (just playing instead of going to sleep) which then means he's been awake for waaaaay too long by the time bedtime comes around and partly because when he does take a second nap it's almost always cut short because it falls so close to 4pm. The awake time between naps is just at an awkward length and doesn't work too well.

@VicPark on a single nap day he wakes between 7-730 and I put him down at 12. He goes to sleep with no problem, but only ever sleeps the same length as one of his naps in a 2 nap day.

Sometimes (rarely) he wakes at 615/630 and if he doesn't go back to sleep I have put him back to 2 naps but I have tried to avoid because I don't want him to get confused with inconsistency. In this case he'd wake at 615, sleep at 10-11.15, then sleep again at 3-4. (Or 15 mins later - always based on 3h45m awake time)