+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Wwyd offensive beauty therapist?

I've been going to a beauty therapist that works out of her own house for about a year now. She's fantastic with eyebrows, my brows have never looked so good, and she's conveniently located and charges very reasonably.

We've always had pretty light superficial conversations but the last time I was there it was around the election and she started talking politics and I was absolutely shocked to hear some of the things she said. Basically she said she hated gay people and didn't care if she offended people by saying that and that gay marriage disgusted her etc. I was gobsmacked and didn't say anything to call her out because I was so shocked and also it's quite a vulnerable position being half naked on a table, not really the time you want to call someone out on their offensive remarks.

Now I feel like I shouldn't go back because I completely disagree with her views. In the past few months I've tried going to other places but I can't find anyone whose as good as her.

Wwyd? Stand by your ethics and have crappy eyebrows or go back to her, have great brows and avoid those topics of conversation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd probably just keep going but avoid the conversation just due to the convenience and how happy you have been with the treatment.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsIsMe For This Useful Post:

kim85  (23-09-2016),KitiK  (23-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If we stopped using the services, talking to people, doing things, going places because people offended us with their views all the time we'd be pretty bored, hairy and lonely. I don't agree with her opinions, but that's just it they are hers and she is free to think them. Probably not the smartest to voice them when they can be quite outrageous and get her into trouble if she does voice them to the wrong person.

I'd keep going to her but would just steer clear of politics and sexuality topics.

On the other hand I understand why you wouldn't want to go back, that's a pretty serious and discriminatory view she has on the world and would make me uncomfortable in general. I am a non confrontational person and would seek out wonderful brows elsewhere and quietly and slowly cut my services with her.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsmac3 For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (23-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Go back.
    Every walk of life is out there, most of the time we aren't privy to the inner thinkings of these people so she would still be the same person doing her job if she hadn't divulged.
    At the end of the day it's her opinion. She hasn't committed a crime.
    I'd go back but steer the conversation away if it's headed towards hate speech again.
    If after that she couldn't control herself, then I would find someone else, because that to me would feel like she was only waiting to be familiar enough with you to let loose.
    That might have been a one off bad day for whatever reason.
    Not saying her words weren't horrible, but old dogs and new tricks...I'm guessing she's an older woman. Hopefully in a generation or two humans will be more accepting of each other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    I'm guessing she's an older woman. Hopefully in a generation or two humans will be more accepting of each other.
    Actually she's young (late 20s early 30s) and has some pretty well known clients in the entertainment industry. I really would have thought her views would be more liberal and I think that's why I was so shocked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not a service I utilise so can't speak to that regard of it, i.e I don't know how bad it would be to just go to another place. However, I would go back and give her the benefit of the doubt that it was just a bad day, or she was particularly worked up about it for whatever reason. BUT if she continued it, I would make it clear I'm not comfortable with it, and then if she still continued I would stop going. Not because of the difference in opinion, that part doesn't worry me. It's the unprofessionalism and almost like she is taking advantage of you being in an uncomfortable position. The principle of the fact.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wwyd offensive beauty therapist?

I'd go back.

There are idiots/bigots/unqualified experts everywhere. You don't have to agree or have the same viewpoints with everyone you come in regular contact with.

If she brings it up again simply tell her not to.

Good brows are hard to find!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 23-09-2016 at 11:42.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (23-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't go back. I totally understand that people have different views however I really couldn't accept that level of bigotry and hatred once she had expressed her views. I also would have called her out on it, but I am getting pretty outspoken as I get older. I get why you didn't.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hollypolly For This Useful Post:

A&S  (23-09-2016),Albert01  (23-09-2016),BluePixie  (26-09-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (23-09-2016),Unschooling4  (25-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be going back. I wouldn't be able to bring myself to pay money to someone who expressed views like that, no matter how happy I was with their work.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

A&S  (23-09-2016),Albert01  (23-09-2016),BluePixie  (26-09-2016),gingermillie  (23-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't go back. Vote with your feet.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

A&S  (23-09-2016),Albert01  (23-09-2016)