+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Australia vs Overseas

Hello ladies,
    I have decided to try and access some of my Superannuation funds to enable us to use a donor egg, as at 46, I'm out of my own eggs
    My husband and I have an appointment with Lynn Burmeister from Monash IVF on 11th October to discuss our options, but in the meantime we're trying to decide whether we want to try and find a donor here in Australia or go overseas.
    For those of you who have decided to use a donor from overseas, may I ask:

Where did you find your donor? What country/clinic?

What made you decide to source an overseas donor rather than someone within Australia?

How quick was the process?

What was the cost in AUD?

Did you have success in getting pregnant?

Lastly, for those of you who may have accessed your Superannuation to fund the process, were you able to add your travel and accommodation expenses into the quote that you provided for DHS or will they only pay out on the medical procedure?

I'm just so confused about what to do. I know that going locally will be less expensive, but I just don't know about the whole process of having to find a donor, build a rapport with her and hope that she likes us enough to want to donate.
    Thanks so much for your time and support everyone.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

MysticFalls  (03-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can anyone offer me their opinions, please???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey. I don't know as I have no experience but try the IVF over 40's thread and I know there is also an overseas donor egg thread.

I would start with IVF over 40's as those ladies know lots. Good luck and I hope your journey is short and successful xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

siansmum  (23-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I can't comment of the local donor stuff although I will say that I'm not sure it works out cheaper to use a local one and if it does I don't think it would be by much, also I think if you wanted a known donor then a local one would be best.
    * I went to the Czech Republic and used the crm zlin clinic
    * the didn't want a local donor and for us having one that was anonymous was excellent
    * from initial contact it was about 3 months but I got to choose the date I wanted to go as the clinic I used has set egg retrieval and transfer days so it's easy to organise flight and accomodation before hand
    * The cost was about $6500 then meds on top of that, about $250 then I bought more at the clinic $200, then airfare and accomodation costs, we had a holiday as well so ours cost a little extra
    * got pregnant with twins first time, and have just got pregnant with a singleton from our fet

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stacey10 For This Useful Post:

siansmum  (23-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Australia vs Overseas

Hi, I was Lynn's patient and went overseas to spain earlier this year for an egg donor. The clinic was called IVF spain in Alicante. I choose this option as I was emotionally exhausted by IVF trying with my own eggs for a few years and didn't want to try and find a donor in oz myself .. just in case they weren't suitable, changed their mind etc I couldn't deal with any further setbacks. Ivf spain organise the donor etc for you. It is costly depending on the type of option you go with. We paid more to guarantee us a minimum of 4 blastocysts.. we ended up with 5, transferred 2 and 3 have been frozen for us to use in the future. I contacted them in dec and flew out on 1st April. It would have been less but I had to have a laparoscopy in January first which set me back a month. So I think the quickest they could do it is about 2 months prior to going over- as they also do a mock cycle to check how your body will respond to their treatment plan and to sync you with the donor. I think we spent about 20k all up including flights and accom- although we were there for 2 weeks and made it into a holiday too. I tried to access super to fund the overseas egg donor cycle but was told no- this response was from Supercare. They said the dhs would only approve the application if I decided to go with an Australian clinic for a donor. It may have changed as this was around dec last year so worth looking into still. There is a very active thread on here with people going to Greece so maybe check that out. Best of luck with what you decide! I found that making the decision to go overseas and finding a clinic was half the battle! Once you start planning everything it becomes more real and time flies.. I am now 26 weeks and although it was tough at the time am so glad I did it .. we are having a girl
    Last edited by kuwtk; 23-09-2016 at 10:37.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kuwtk For This Useful Post:

siansmum  (23-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where did you find your donor? What country/clinic?
    I think you would find lots of info on overseas clinics on eggdonationfriends com and fertilityfriends. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in the same boat. I'm 43 trying with own eggs tomsee if just maybe this will work.

Then im also deciding either local donor or overseas in South Africa. I hate hate hate flying.

I have one lady 30yrs I'm talking to who is local. but I'm scared once I tell her the whole process she will pull out!

Mysticfalls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found my donor on Egg Donation Australia. I chose that path because I wanted a known donor - it was important to me that any future children have access to details about their genetic heritage. We are open with our family and friends about this.

My donor and I are close friends and stay in regular contact. I am also in contact with her other recipients.

We cycled in QLD at her preferred clinic with EPU in early October. According to my blood tests I am pregnant - although until I see a HB at a scan, that is hard to believe!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no experience myself but my friend was 45/46 years and went to Greece. She got alot of eggs from the first round ( of that is the correct terminology) and she now has a DD.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

MysticFalls  (04-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have been quoted around 74,000 rand for IVF through South Africa. That equals approx 7,500 australian dollars. Then there is the money for the egg donor i cannot remember if this was quoted to us in the form of rand which i think it was and it was 8,000 rand. and in our case sperm donor as well which has not yet been quoted to us. Then there are medications and Im not sure of this cost at all. Have never got that far.

I am a nervous nervous actually terrified flyer, only been on one hour journeys with 25mg of valium and i was searching qantas as its never killed anyone or gone missing. And from sydney to joburg and then capetown it was going to be approximately $5,000 return for my family. I never got around to looking at accomodation yet. I was looking for qantas flight that connected with a british airways flight to capetown. sorry Im a terrified flyer, wanted a qantas and british airways flight only. If your not fussy then you might be able to get a better deal.

The flight centre were telling me i could take emerates to dubai and then dubai to capetown but I have never been on an airbus and i didn't want to make a longer flight than I have to. And different times of year all have different costs.

Does this help your original question?

Mysticfalls.