+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    His feet were freezing, a clear sign he was underdressed and cold. Wouldn't that be enough to upset you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    His feet were freezing, a clear sign he was underdressed and cold. Wouldn't that be enough to upset you?
    Sometimes my kids gets cold feet. I like to know the context of the setting before going off my tree at the scenario.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Every time I went to pick up my DS1 from daycare as a baby he was fully dressed ready to go. Shoes/socks on, outdoor jacket on, and the carers would come greet me with a report of his day - how he went, any trouble they may have had, how much he ate/pooped/wet etc. I would be really annoyed if my 6 month old was alone on the floor at the end of the day, half dressed any no one seemed to know anything about anything.

That's just me though. Maybe I have been fortunate with my Childcare facilities but I do think babies in particular need a bit more attention than it appears the OP's son is getting.

I also think it an be really hard to find a good Childcare centre - unless you have a recommendation it can be hard to know what the staff are really like from just one visit. And it's the staff that make it IMO, facility itself is one thing but I really think it's important the staff really care about the kids (all of the staff) and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.

Sorry you're having so much trouble OP. You need to feel comfortable and confident your DS is getting looked after to a high standard and all these little things would make me want to change too. Best of luck xx

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-09-2016),MissMuppet  (27-09-2016),rosey82  (27-09-2016),turquoisecoast  (27-09-2016),witherwings  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure they get cold feet @VicPark, when they are cold!

I think she described the "setting" pretty clearly actually, your line of questioning suggests you think her concerns are invalid?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Every time I went to pick up my DS1 from daycare as a baby he was fully dressed ready to go. Shoes/socks on, outdoor jacket on, and the carers would come greet me with a report of his day - how he went, any trouble they may have had, how much he ate/pooped/wet etc. I would be really annoyed if my 6 month old was alone on the floor at the end of the day, half dressed any no one seemed to know anything about anything.

That's just me though. Maybe I have been fortunate with my Childcare facilities but I do think babies in particular need a bit more attention than it appears the OP's son is getting.

I also think it an be really hard to find a good Childcare centre - unless you have a recommendation it can be hard to know what the staff are really like from just one visit. And it's the staff that make it IMO, facility itself is one thing but I really think it's important the staff really care about the kids (all of the staff) and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.

Sorry you're having so much trouble OP. You need to feel comfortable and confident your DS is getting looked after to a high standard and all these little things would make me want to change too. Best of luck xx
    This.

Even now (DS is 3.5) the carers talk to me about his day, know whrre he is/everything is etc etc. And the nber of kids they look after has tripled.

I have never had stories like the OP with DS.

There really are childcare places that are good. And caring.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sometimes my kids gets cold feet. I like to know the context of the setting before going off my tree at the scenario.
    I understand what you're saying...but I think the difference is in the complete lack of communication.
    Had TC came in and asked why her baby was on the floor in minimal clothing and they said that he was a bit sweaty with his jumperon in the warm room and he had been playing happily since, and knowing where his jumper was it would be a completely different story. It's their inability to effectively communicate that makes the situation concerning. I'd be uncomfortable having my baby there, mainly because a baby can't tell you about their day so you have to be able to trust your carers. I would struggle to trust these carers based on what TC has said.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (27-09-2016),JR03  (27-09-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (27-09-2016),Mod-Degrassi  (27-09-2016),Olive Oil  (27-09-2016),PinkPopsicle  (27-09-2016),rosey82  (27-09-2016),turquoisecoast  (27-09-2016),twinklify  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with @sunnygirl79. My DD is always dressed to go home at the end of the day, often she will have her spare jumper on under a puffer or something if it's gotten cold in the arvo, as well as shoes & socks (even as a crawling baby).
    DD has also been dressed in "spare" clothes belonging to the centre if she's been through her spare set too (wet day/messy play/TT).
    There really is no excuse. The other stuff I could put down to communication problems/teething problems with starting daycare, but it seems like they are now avoiding communicating with you & your son is suffering because of the attitude.
    The few times I have had "words" with my centre manager the girls in DD's room have always been extra aware of the issues & made sure to take the extra time to reassure me all is well at the end of the day.
    Sounds like the opposite is going on at your centre - the staff have been "told off" by the manager, but have decided to close ranks & wont communicate with you.
    I'd be contacting alternative daycares ASAP, as well as talking to the centre manager again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I'm with other posters. At the end of the day, my kids have always been reading to go. Socks, shoes, and a jacket/jumper if it's a cool day. I would be annoyed if they were on the floor with inadequate clothing on when it's cold.
    Not to mention I get a rundown of the day. Sleeps, mood, nappies/toilet, meal times/refusals. My current daycare sends home a notebook with all this information too.

I would be looking at other centres and getting your names on lists and explain to these centres what's going on where you are now. There is a lack of communication on their end and you're not happy - and when you're leaving your child to be cared for by other people you need to be happy and confident with them. Don't get me wrong, a few things have happened over my 6 years of using daycare, but I can count the instances on one hand (with my two good daycares, we had one crap one). We used one centre with my first and we had similar issues to you, and we pulled out after about 6 weeks because they weren't taking me seriously. I would walk in at hometime and she would be crying in a bouncer alone, she wouldn't have had all her feeds, she'd be under a thick blanket on a 40 degree day then they'd call me saying she was hot etc. I gave them enough chances to sort it out but they didn't so we pulled her out and moved to a new centre. But we were extremely lucky, I know it's not always that simple with places being hard to come by.

You don't seem happy and unless they change, you probably won't be happy going forward either. It will make your working life hard if you're constantly stressing about daycare.

Good luck

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

matalee  (27-09-2016),turquoisecoast  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be looking for another centre and as previous posters have said, try and explain the situation to them to see if you can get a spot sooner.

It sounds like you just don't trust this centre (I don't blame you) and your baby is the most precious person to you, you need to feel that he's happy and well taken care of. Another centre will hopefully take better care of him. Lots of people switch centres until the find the right one.

Good to keep in the back of your mind too, that daycare just isn't for everyone. It's hard because most of us have to go back to work eventually and its the easiest option but it can be hard to adjust to.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry TC but thats not something id be happy with either. The blank looks and "i dont knows" always infuriated me. Start actively looking and go with your gut instincts

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post: