+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default another daycare gripe - wdyt?

I mean this is the nicest way possible but do you think it is possible that you are feeling extreme guilt over the fact that you have gone back to work and have had to put your ds into child care when you possibly weren't ready to? While I agree the formula situation and not knowing any of the staff is pretty poor form on their behalf and something I would be taking up with the director, you seem to be taking everything they do (I.e the newsletter/sickness) as if they are purposely neglecting your ds and being passive aggressive towards you (for what it's worth I don't actually think the newsletter was directed at you and your ds). I agree with the other's though, maybe you should be looking into other centres or even try family day care or a nanny. It's sounds as though it's been a very tough month with going back to work, your ds starting child care and sickness (both you and your ds) and maybe you are taking things to heart more than what you normally would. To me it doesn't seem like a good fit and you aren't happy with them.
    Last edited by Happymum2; 22-09-2016 at 23:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You're definitely not disproportionately upset. Take it up with the director. How the director responds will give you a very good idea of whether it's worth keeping your son in that centre or not. Often times the director/boss is not aware of the poor practices of their staff until it's brought to their attention. I've had so many issues with my sons' centre but the director has always been amazing with every issue and implemented changes to make the centre a better place overall for everyone.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would be really angry about this. I haven't read any of your other threads but 2 things really stand out to me here- 1: they have not been honest or at the very least have been evasive about what's happened. Trust is paramount in the people we leave our children with. If you can't feel you can trust them that's a big sign to get out. 2: they're absolutely not allowed to give your child someone else's formula. That's a big no no. They would get in big trouble if an accreditor found out about that, and the fact that the room leader offered makes it even worse.
    I'm usually pretty easygoing about child care things. As mentioned, mistakes happen, rooms are busy, etc. I'm willing to over look a lot of things that other parents may not let slide so easily. But this scenario makes me think you should be putting you DS's name down at some other centres pronto.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (23-09-2016),MissMuppet  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How awful that they thought the best option was not to call you but just not feed your son his scheduled bottle.

Id be looking and keep asking for an appropriate answer, also a proactive solution to ensure this never happens to any baby/child in their care.

I had an issue when DD1 was a toddler in daycare where one day she came home with a very wet nappy, so wet that her pants were wet thru.
    Then i discovered it was the nappy id put on her that morning 8.5hrs earlier (i used one brand at home and supplied a diff one for care) she'd not been changed all day

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd definitely be annoyed about the ridiculous way this was handled.
    All they needed to do was give you a call, explain what happened and maybe volunteer to pop down the shops and grab a can of whichever brand you use.
    The fact that they're so secretive and lack initiative would be a worry for me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mmaf For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (23-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post

I had an issue when DD1 was a toddler in daycare where one day she came home with a very wet nappy, so wet that her pants were wet thru.
    Then i discovered it was the nappy id put on her that morning 8.5hrs earlier (i used one brand at home and supplied a diff one for care) she'd not been changed all day
    This is awful

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (23-09-2016),yadot  (23-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thanks for all the responses.

I went home and felt pretty down about things, just on poor ds' behalf more than anything. as others have said, I feel trust is paramount in this kind of working relationship
    and without it, I feel wary and nervous leaving my little boy entrusted with these people all day!

the head educator of his room had told the centre director about it as she pulled me in for a chat this morning. the director is fantastic, echoed everything I said and totally understood.

I think the issue is largely cultural. most if not all of the girls in ds' room are from Indian and I think they tend to band together. the head educator I've noticed takes the rap for them then probably roasts them herself privately.

anyway the centre director was great and said she'd managed to get the story out of the girls. apparently someone mixed ds' formula into another bub's bottle and of course they couldn't use it so had to ditch it. a perfectly reasonable thing to happen. I'm not angry mistakes are made, I'm angry nobody is accountable!

I also then saw the head educator as we were dropping ds off this morning and she tried telling me the girls last night had tried to explain what happened but I got upset so they got scared wtf. I'm hardly walking around with a big whip in my bag? what actually happened is I was accused of not packing enough formula and once they realized I wasn't buying that story, they'd dug themselves in a hole and were too scared to own up as I was annoyed by that stage!

all I ask for is honesty!

I'm hesitant to pull ds from this centre, he's settled in sooo well, loves going and is always all smiles at drop off and pick up. I'm still perhaps not accepting that this centre mightn't be as good as I'd expected?

we've only been there 1 month today. realistically I think we will struggle to find another spot at another centre on such short notice. I'm also worried these kinds of things could happen anywhere.

I guess all we can do is put our names down at a few more centres and see how this goes. if another spot comes up then maybe reassess where we are at with this place.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (23-09-2016),Mamasupial  (23-09-2016),sunnygirl79  (23-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Definitely put your name down elsewhere are keep your options open.

Did the director say how they were going to rectify it? Is she going to speak to those involved about lying? Is there a consequence for them? Will they get training or a warning etc?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had ups and downs at my girls centre. We've been there 5 years now! Yes there have been times I've contemplated pulling them. Some big issues- for some reason a carer clashed with my 1yo??? Said DD1 was being rude by repeating what she said , and kept her blankie from her at nap time as punishment then told me how she cried herself to sleep . But most of the time it's fine. I rode it out as DD1 was about to go up a room anyway. I was scared when that same carer got DD2 but they got along great. I'm still very confused over why someone didn't like my sweet lovely 1yo!

I had similar issues in the bottles I packed weren't being used, but my DD was about 9mo and I was probably giving her too many anyway.

Each time I had an issue I raised it with the centre. Sometimes I got fobbed off. My DD1 is now in kinder there and they're onto the 4th teacher . But most of the time they take what I say on board and it doesn't happen again. Most of the carers are really truly lovely with the kids.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Definitely put your name down elsewhere are keep your options open.

Did the director say how they were going to rectify it? Is she going to speak to those involved about lying? Is there a consequence for them? Will they get training or a warning etc?
    the director said she'd be speaking with the girls involved and providing additional training on how to deal with mistakes and taking ownership in such circumstances. she said 2 of them have kids and to put yourself in the shoes of the parents, how would you feel if someone charged with taking care of your kid all day lied to you as the parent about something crucial like a feed? of course you'd be upset.

I think these educators are just scared and it's a cultural thing. maybe in their culture admitting a mistake is not done so you find a way to fabricate something to cover it up instead?? of course that just makes me more mad that they think I'm stupid enough to buy such a pathetic story and the whole vicious cycle continues!

wise enough thanks for posting, I really appreciate the balanced view. yes pulling him out is the easiest, most knee jerk reaction but there's more to consider than just punishing the centre. ds loves it there so they must do a good job. from what I've seen they're all fantastic with the kids, very kind and caring. I don't want to pull ds and then we find another centre with its own set of issues, meanwhile I've taken stability away from him.

I think we will press on and see how things play out. look maybe we've just been unlucky initially and a few roastings down the track and everyone will be operating like clockwork. basically who knows. yes I'm disappointed we've had these couple of incidences but I'm hoping it's just teething problems.

otherwise the centre is very clean, modern, large, nice play areas and balcony outdoor areas, fantastic undercover parking, good infants menu etc. my only real complaint outside of these speed bumps is the crappy thin nappies they supply!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (23-09-2016)