+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cost of delivering a baby

Hi guys,

I just enrolled into UQ Masters degree and my wife and I were planning to move there in this coming January. But then we found out that we are expecting a baby. Of course, I will have Overseas Student Health Cover which will cover my wife was well but there is 12 months waiting period for pregnancy related services and she will deliver the baby way before that. We've never been to Australia before, so searched online and couldn't find any health insurance providers that doesn't require 12 month waiting period. We are not eligible for medicare. In short, we are probably going to deliver the baby without any insurance at all. What do we do here? What is the cost of delivering a baby without any insurance in Brisbane, Australia? What is the safest way to deliver the baby with a reasonable cost?

thank you all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Find out which hospital you're in the catchment for and contact them/their finance department. They will be able to give you an approximation of costs. We have many Medicare ineligible patients through and if your insurance won't cover your wife's pregnancy, then you will have to self pay. Things like an epidural or Caesarean section will cost more (they aren't cheap) so make sure you're well aware of costs before the end of the pregnancy. I had a lady the other week asking how much an epidural would cost on a Saturday evening. Not an ideal time or place to be worrying about the costs. I'm sure they can implement some kind of payment plan so you're not faced with paying an enormous lump sum but rather a more manageable amount over a period of time.

ETA: just Re-read that your haven't moved out to Aus yet. If studying at UQ you will likely be looking at the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital or the Mater Mothers. If you plan to live further out of the city there may be a closer public hospital to where you are living. How far along will your wife be when you move?
    Last edited by M'LadyEm; 22-09-2016 at 18:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In south Australia if you where to deliver with no insurance the bill for a c-sec is just over $20,000 for a natural birth it is around $15,000. So In turn if you can't afford to pay this your wife may have to return home to give birth and come back here when the baby is able to travel and get a passport. And "if" your baby was deliver early and need to be admitted you could be looking at around $1000 dollars a day while they are in hospital. I looked up my bills from July as I've just had a baby via c-sec in a private hospital. $3000 on scans, bloods and urine tests, $1000 of this was for an epidural. It doesn't show cost of theatre and accomodation as that's billed directly to my health fund. None of this includes a paediatrician which for me was $1300 tonne present at the birth and all visits in hospital and 3 post birth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys! I guess we have to return home to give birth.

Isn't there any insurance options that we pay higher premiums to get it covered without 12 months waiting period? That's something I should talk to insurance providers huh?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    How far along will your wife be when you move?
    When we get to Brisbane, she will be about 5 months pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kublai View Post
    Thanks guys! I guess we have to return home to give birth.

Isn't there any insurance options that we pay higher premiums to get it covered without 12 months waiting period? That's something I should talk to insurance providers huh?
    Paying for top cover doesn't get too fast tracked with medical insurance it only gives you better options and cover. A friend of mine is due next March and she won't qualify with the 12month waiting period by a month so she is delivering in public but you have to remember we are covered by Medicare and your wife and yourself won't be. You'll be out of pocket for all exp including visits to doctors etc for immunisation.

My sister is an Australian citizen but lives in the US her own daughter doesn't even qualify for Medicare because A) she wasn't born here and B) she doesn't live here for 2 months of the year if she did B she would qualify.

You might have to come here alone set up your place to live then go back home closer to her due date then come back when bubs in a couple weeks old and your wife to follow when bubs is 6 weeks which is enough time to allow to get a passport for the baby

Thanks
    Reviews

Firstly, congratulations!

The only private health fund that offers less than a 12 month wait period is the Teachers Health Fund, they offer a 9 month wait period. You don't have to be a teacher to get in so it's worth looking into, I was able to join as my mum works in child care (all I had to do was join her up to a union for a month and I was in).

Oh and if you join now you will get 6 weeks for free.

Good luck!