+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Blood pressure medication in early pregnancy

Hi everyone

I have a history of high blood pressure, inherited from my parents. After a reading in the vicinity of 180/95 I was put onto Tritace 5mg x 1 daily and my BP was well under control.

We are about to embark upon a round of IVF with an egg donor, and as such my GP thought I should come off the Tritace (apparently it's not good in pregnancy) and start something safer.

He prescribed Aldomet for me but unfortunately whilst it controlled my BP well, I had some side effects which he considered serious enough to take me off it - my urine turned brown and I felt like I had been hit by a bus.

He then prescribed Presolol 100 x 1 daily which I have just collected from the chemist this afternoon. Upon googling it I see there are stern warnings stating not to use this drug, particularly in early pregnancy.

Now...obviously I'm not pregnant YET but God willing I might be some time very soon. Does anyone have any experience with this, or helpful advice? I'm just a bit concerned that maybe I shouldn't be taking this one either...

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. Couldn't find one called Medicine Panic Room!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi lovely. It's me your stalker. But seriously, I reckon you should go to the doctor again, or see another in his rooms just to be sure.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinachris For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (22-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinachris View Post
    Hi lovely. It's me your stalker. But seriously, I reckon you should go to the doctor again, or see another in his rooms just to be sure.

Gah! You found me - again!!!

Yeah, it is worth checking I think. It's odd because he's usually so on the ball with everything....

Thanks
    Reviews
    No experience whatsoever but you can speak to the pharmacist before paying to see the GP again. Did they say anything when you were picking it up?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (22-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    No experience whatsoever but you can speak to the pharmacist before paying to see the GP again. Did they say anything when you were picking it up?

Not a word. And they know Im doing the IVF cycle....

I've emailed my FS to see what he thinks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A couple of thoughts: ACE inhibitors like tritace are definitely a no no in pregnancy. Aldomet is first line for controlling BP in pregnancy but is a pain in the butt cos you have to take it three times daily, plus causes yucky side effects. So that means you're moving on to second line drugs which may not have as much evidence for safety in pregnancy. However, many obs have vast experience using drugs with limited evidence & are quite confident prescribing them. It's worth while double checking, if it's your ob or FS I would be confident they know what their talking about, in GP land I would be asking a few more questions.
    Best of luck with your cycle!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (22-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    A couple of thoughts: ACE inhibitors like tritace are definitely a no no in pregnancy. Aldomet is first line for controlling BP in pregnancy but is a pain in the butt cos you have to take it three times daily, plus causes yucky side effects. So that means you're moving on to second line drugs which may not have as much evidence for safety in pregnancy. However, many obs have vast experience using drugs with limited evidence & are quite confident prescribing them. It's worth while double checking, if it's your ob or FS I would be confident they know what their talking about, in GP land I would be asking a few more questions.
    Best of luck with your cycle!

Thank you I just rang my chemist as well and they said as a category C drug it's not the best option but that you have to weigh up risks and benefits. They suggested talking to my Doctor again too. Once the FS calls back and I'm ar,ed with some knowledge I'll ring the GP and discuss it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (22-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    Thank you I just rang my chemist as well and they said as a category C drug it's not the best option but that you have to weigh up risks and benefits. They suggested talking to my Doctor again too. Once the FS calls back and I'm ar,ed with some knowledge I'll ring the GP and discuss it.
    I was prescribed a class C blood pressure tablet when pregnant. I only found out it was 'class C' when the pharmacy told me and I was a little concerned. I spoke to my Ob and he reassured me that it was quite safe for me to take (I can't remember what the drug was called, but it's commonly used for pregnant women).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (22-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took Dostinex during my last FET, had to reduce my prolactin & I had awful side effects from bromocriptine (class A) which I took the time before that. Same as pp, the FS & I talked it through, she found me some journal articles to suggest no known negative outcomes in pregnancy so I decided to take the Dostinex.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (22-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone for your replies

For anyone who might come across this thread in the future, I ended up speaking to my GP about my concerns.

He said that whilst Presolol is a Class C drug,I will be on a low dose and we have to consider risk vs benefit in deciding how to proceed.

The general consensus was that it's not ideal to have to take this medication, but dropping dead from a potential stroke or heart attack isn't a preferable alternative either.

With his permission, I'm going to see if I can chop the pill in half and try a half dose to start off with. If that controls my BP adequately at least I've cut my risk a little.

At the end of the day he said this new medication is really the only viable alternative and IS still commonly prescribed during pregnancy so....we'll see. You can only do what you can do.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (22-09-2016),rosey82  (22-09-2016),twinklify  (22-09-2016)