+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Exercise in first trimester

Hi Everyone, I was just wondering when others adapted workouts, I'm 6 weeks and wondering if ab exercises are still ok? Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to smv For This Useful Post:

mummy2beSarah  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smv View Post
    Hi Everyone, I was just wondering when others adapted workouts, I'm 6 weeks and wondering if ab exercises are still ok? Thanks.
    My PT suggested I lift slightly lighter weights but do more reps, and if something is uncomfortable or hurts, don't do it. I'm now 12 weeks and she hasn't stopped me from doing anything, I've just requested less cardio as it makes me want to vomit lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    First trimester, just listen to your body. Ab exercises are totally fine - but would stop doing them around 16 weeks or so.

General rule is to exercise as you have been prior to pregnancy but lessen the intensity as you feel necessary and as the pregnancy progresses. Don't push yourself to exhaustion and avoid overheating (as this is dangerous for your baby). Your body will tell you when you're doing too much!

Personally I kept going with my workouts but found I had to reduce the intensity due to morning sickness and general feeling like rubbish around the 6-7 week mark. Vomiting after a workout is it a good sign! I felt better during 2nd trimester and stepped it up again until my body told me it was time to slow down and adapt. I kept up swimming, light weights, yoga and walked up a mountain every week right up to birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with only doing what you were doing before pregnancy and listening to your body. I am a dance teacher and taught up until 36 weeks each time. I eased off on things when my body let me know it wasn't handling it anymore.