+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2be4 View Post
    How many hours per breast? I had to increase up to 5 at one point to slow down supply and encourage hind milk. Coughing and spluttering while feeding is definitely a big indicator for fast let down and sounds like you have a great supply what are her poos like. Frothy green can indicate too much fore milk too.
    I feed off 1 boob then 2-3 hours later she has the other one. Her poos are mustard yellow and seedy in texture. I've been keeping my eye on them as I heard green is too much foremilk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I feed off 1 boob then 2-3 hours later she has the other one. Her poos are mustard yellow and seedy in texture. I've been keeping my eye on them as I heard green is too much foremilk.
    Block feeding means to revisit the same breast for multiple feeds. You could try feeding one side for4 hours, might need to let off some pressure on the other side to avoid blocked ducts. It's hard until they are big enough to take both sides in one feed, that's when feeding seems to be the easiest imo.
    https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-.../too-much-milk

Although this is mostly addressing coughing and spluttering issue but also could help with more weight gain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you offered the 2nd side at same feed time? Will she take it? I always thought 2nd side should be offered even if they don't take it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2be4 View Post
    Block feeding means to revisit the same breast for multiple feeds. You could try feeding one side for4 hours, might need to let off some pressure on the other side to avoid blocked ducts. It's hard until they are big enough to take both sides in one feed, that's when feeding seems to be the easiest imo.
    https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-.../too-much-milk

Although this is mostly addressing coughing and spluttering issue but also could help with more weight gain.
    Ohhh.... Lol can I claim baby brain? Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    Have you offered the 2nd side at same feed time? Will she take it? I always thought 2nd side should be offered even if they don't take it
    I do offer but she refuses. She seems to drain the one side pretty well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do offer but she refuses. She seems to drain the one side pretty well.
    I'll add in here that DD mostly drinks from one side. I offered both on the first few weeks but does not need it so do not worry if she refuses the 2nd side.

I am of the belief that any gain is good. Unless of course the percentile continually drops.

The wet nappies mean she is drinking which is good. I might guess that any reflux may have impacted feeding. So maybe see how the next few weeks are.

Also, it could just be genetic/normal for her to be smaller. From memory your DD1 is small too (I also vaguely remember there was food/feeding issues for her?). Also, are there any lip/tongue tie issues?

The block feeding is a good idea. Try starting at 4 hours each side and see how it goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    IMG_1474370008.008213.jpg

Do you have any of these symptoms?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Yep, DD1 is small. She's 8% for weight at last check. She was formula fed and refused to feed. I think that was mainly due to silent reflux. No one picked up ties with her.

I don't have any of those symptoms but LB has reflux, poor weight gain, clicking when feeding and choking on milk at the start of the feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, DD1 is small. She's 8% for weight at last check. She was formula fed and refused to feed. I think that was mainly due to silent reflux. No one picked up ties with her.

I don't have any of those symptoms but LB has reflux, poor weight gain, clicking when feeding and choking on milk at the start of the feed.
    My DD had poor weight gain, reflux and clicking when feeding; turned out was an undiagnosed untreated upper lip tie was our problem with her.
    Maybe get an assessment by a paed dentist who could laser if needed. Our DS2 (#3bub) had ULT & PTT lasered at 13 days old and have had the best feeding relationship with him

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it's difficult with so many opinions and ideas but from my experience I would look very closely at the possibility of ties. A posterior tongue tie in particular. From my experience and that of many mums I know with symptoms from the list above are present. Doctors, nurses, midwives and LC's all say there are no ties and can't work out what's going on. Then baby is seen by someone who specializes in ties and knows how to properly assess for them. A tie is diagnosed and treated and then the symptoms finally start to resolve. It can be a very frustrating journey. Maybe this article can help. Take a look at the resources linked at the bottom. If you join the tongue tie Facebook support pages you can find out about people in your area who are really specialized in assessing for ties. Good luck. X

http://www.tinysparkswa.org.au/blog/...-upper-lip-tie

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (21-09-2016),twinklify  (21-09-2016),wobbleyhorse  (21-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Spoke to my midwife and she has recommended somewhere to take her for ties.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (22-09-2016)