+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Weight gain

I know wet nappies are important but I'm just wondering what breastfed babies should gain on average per week.

If baby isn't gaining enough, what can be done?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think a week is too small of a time frame. I would be looking at gains over a month. When mine were babies the recommendation used to be 500g a month. I could never really understand that though because the all grow at different rates.

Mine certainly packed on the weight in the first 6 weeks or so and then slowly tapered off with their gains.

I hope everything is okay with your LB.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    If baby isn't gaining enough, what can be done?
    If you are worried about your supply, you could always spend a weekend in bed with the baby and feed and sleep. It should boost your supply and hopefully weight gains.

If you feel your supply is good, it may just be genetics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I don't think supply is an issue. LB literally coughs and splutters cause there is so much. She's gained 188g in a month and 50g in the last 10 days.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weight gain

I *think* 150g a week on average is the aim for the first few months. Definitely be guided by a trusted chn or paed. I have good supply, but DS didn't put on weight over a few weeks, and so we are treating him for reflux and he started putting on weight. I remember this is something you are thinking might be an issue for your LB, so definitely don't delay getting things looked at! Hope everything is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe you need to try block feeding so she is getting more hind milk as that is the fatty milk. Also the charts used to measure weight gains are from formula fed babies so it's hard to go by them, plus breastmilk is digested so quickly by infants that's why their weight gain can be much slower then formula fed babes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay, couple of thoughts.

If she is coughing and spluttering during a feed, she may not be coping with your let down. I would suggest hand expressing a small amount off first and then feeding her. You could offer her the expressed milk later in a small cup. Another idea would be to lean back a bit during a feed or feeding while lying on your back to slow down your flow that way. It probably would never be condoned by any LC but I used press on my boob a bit to slow down quick letdowns as well. In my experience, if it is a let down issue, it should correct itself when she is bigger and stronger.

Around the three week mark, my DD2 used to wriggle and squirm a lot during feeds. I quickly became engorged and was expressing for comfort. In hindsight it may have been reflux. I found she fed best while she was drowsy and half asleep. You could try getting more milk into her by feeding your DD in her sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I've been block feeding from the start as I just thought that's how you breastfeed.

We have also started omeprozole already for the reflux.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Okay, couple of thoughts.

If she is coughing and spluttering during a feed, she may not be coping with your let down. I would suggest hand expressing a small amount off first and then feeding her. You could offer her the expressed milk later in a small cup. Another idea would be to lean back a bit during a feed or feeding while lying on your back to slow down your flow that way. It probably would never be condoned by any LC but I used press on my boob a bit to slow down quick letdowns as well. In my experience, if it is a let down issue, it should correct itself when she is bigger and stronger.

Around the three week mark, my DD2 used to wriggle and squirm a lot during feeds. I quickly became engorged and was expressing for comfort. In hindsight it may have been reflux. I found she fed best while she was drowsy and half asleep. You could try getting more milk into her by feeding your DD in her sleep.
    I have already been expressing a tad before feeds (with a haakaa). We feed lying down at night half the time. I could try to do it more. She feeds every 2-3hours. In the afternoon she cluster feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I've been block feeding from the start as I just thought that's how you breastfeed.

We have also started omeprozole already for the reflux.
    How many hours per breast? I had to increase up to 5 at one point to slow down supply and encourage hind milk. Coughing and spluttering while feeding is definitely a big indicator for fast let down and sounds like you have a great supply what are her poos like. Frothy green can indicate too much fore milk too.