+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Growth spurt, leap or bad habits?

Hi all

As a general rule, I don't believe in babies forming 'bad habits', rather they become used to something and find comfort in that.

My breastfed DD is 15 weeks old on Friday (she was 2 weeks over due) and for the past month now she has been waking every 2 hours during the night. She doesn't wake crying, she just wriggles around and bashes her legs on the bed. I usually leave her to see what happens, but eventually she will start whinging (she isn't much of a crier).
    I've tried settling without feeding but it doesn't work and she seems genuinely hungry. After a short feed she's back to sleep without me doing anything else.

During the day she is not that interested in feeding. She comes on and off the breast to look at me, or at whatever is going on...even if it's shadows in a dark bedroom . She also likes to arch her back and almost fall out of my arms while yelling at me. So I give up and try again later.

Prior to this, she would sleep in a 5 or 6 hour block, then wake every 3 hours after that for a total of 12. She'd feed nicely during the day every 3 or 4 hours without any issue.

I understand BIG changes happen around 3/4 months. I know all babies are different. I know you can't change a baby. I don't expect her to speed up her developmental milestones or to go back to how she was for my convenience, I guess I just want to commiserate with fellow mums dealing with the same issues

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi renbird. I agree these sort of changes are common, and they are not a 'bad habit' that bub has developed. The arching her back and complaining, that is sometimes a sign of wind pain, or colic ? Perhaps you could start to block feed, give the one side a few times in a row, because the 'hind milk' has more satisfying nutrients. Also , attempt to fit in more feeds through the day, so that the tendency for two hour feeding at night is less of a 'necessity" . I am sure there are many mums in the same boat, I can remember this time well. hugs, marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    hi renbird. I agree these sort of changes are common, and they are not a 'bad habit' that bub has developed. The arching her back and complaining, that is sometimes a sign of wind pain, or colic ? Perhaps you could start to block feed, give the one side a few times in a row, because the 'hind milk' has more satisfying nutrients. Also , attempt to fit in more feeds through the day, so that the tendency for two hour feeding at night is less of a 'necessity" . I am sure there are many mums in the same boat, I can remember this time well. hugs, marie.
    Hi Marie

She never spends more than maybe a few minutes a day crying. She doesn't spit up milk and seems quite settled most of the time so I don't think it's wind pain or colic at all. She would just rather babble or blow raspberries than drink milk sometimes!

I try feeding her every 2-3 hours during the day. I even tried adding an evening bottle of EBM and it makes no difference to her night waking

I think I just need to wait it out and hope it passes!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It will pass. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing, I was just thinking of some suggestions. There are also 'wonder weeks' that cause all sorts of upset to routine. My motto was 'one day at a time". marie.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (20-09-2016),sunnygirl79  (20-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babies change all the time, especially during the first 6 months (or 12 months even). It's especially frustrating when they appear to go 'backwards'. My DS2 was sleeping 12 hours or only waking once for a feed overnight at 3 months. Now he's up minimum 3 X a night at 6 months. Some weeks he isn't interested in feeding much during the day, others he wants feeding all the time.

I agree with SG take one day, one week at a time, try not to overanalyse it. Figure out what 'works' for now and no doubt you'll probably have an entirely different situation in another week or 2.

15 weeks is still very young and you're right, 4 months is notorious for sleep problems and fussy feeding. Best of luck, you're doing a great job mumma!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (20-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Babies change all the time, especially during the first 6 months (or 12 months even). It's especially frustrating when they appear to go 'backwards'. My DS2 was sleeping 12 hours or only waking once for a feed overnight at 3 months. Now he's up minimum 3 X a night at 6 months. Some weeks he isn't interested in feeding much during the day, others he wants feeding all the time.

I agree with SG take one day, one week at a time, try not to overanalyse it. Figure out what 'works' for now and no doubt you'll probably have an entirely different situation in another week or 2.

15 weeks is still very young and you're right, 4 months is notorious for sleep problems and fussy feeding. Best of luck, you're doing a great job mumma!
    This!

I found that it is almost a 'honeymoon' period the first few months - because once they 'swotch on' it can be harder for them to switch off.

It is totally normal. I know I vent about being so tired etc etc but I know that the time will pass quickly (in hindsight) .

I just do what I can to get through that day.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (20-09-2016),sunnygirl79  (20-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My 16 week old is doing exactly this. He was doing a long stretch at night and then every 3 hours after. So would sleep about 7-midnight and then wake about 2 or 3 times after. Then a couple weeks ago it went to **** for a week and waking constantly from bedtime and then every two hours. Then he went back to normal for a week and now this week it is **** again. I don't even try to resettle because he does seem hungry and there seems to be so much going on with him right now, trying to roll, distracted during the day so not feeding properly and needs to make up for it at night, etc. he also just seems to want to be constantly against me. I reckon he would never wake if I let him sleep against me all night but I can't sleep that way .

We started a sh1t sleepers club thread if you'd like to join and whinge with us .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    My 16 week old is doing exactly this. He was doing a long stretch at night and then every 3 hours after. So would sleep about 7-midnight and then wake about 2 or 3 times after. Then a couple weeks ago it went to **** for a week and waking constantly from bedtime and then every two hours. Then he went back to normal for a week and now this week it is **** again. I don't even try to resettle because he does seem hungry and there seems to be so much going on with him right now, trying to roll, distracted during the day so not feeding properly and needs to make up for it at night, etc. he also just seems to want to be constantly against me. I reckon he would never wake if I let him sleep against me all night but I can't sleep that way .

We started a sh1t sleepers club thread if you'd like to join and whinge with us .
    I'm sorry you're going through almost the exact same thing, but it is nice to know I'm not alone!!

I think it's one big cluster f*** of wonder week leap 4 and 2 growth spurts. This developmental leap is a doozy - it's two parts and lasts like a million years. What I'm scared of is how much longer is it going to last?? It's been over a month already!!

I just fought with DD from 3pm til 6:30pm because she refused to nap. Husband walks in the door and suddenly she's a snoozing little angel. I think mum just needed a break!

I definitely want to join in your sh1t sleepers thread!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Growth spurt, leap or bad habits?

Deleted
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 20-09-2016 at 20:38.