+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    So you don't allow your kids to have milk because it doesn't agree with you? How can you be healthier without milk? Milk isn't unhealthy.
    Milk is not "healthy". I will never agree to that proposition. And my kids don't like it. I don't offer it (ever) and they actually don't like the taste of it. We use almond and coconut milk blends. They love that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I don't think milk is healthy - the negatives far outweigh the positives but unfortunately the dairy corporation is great at marketing and has us believing you must drink cows milk for strong bones - it's interesting to note the countries with the highest dairy consumption also have the highest rates of osteoporosis

Negatives: hard to digest, inhibit iron absorption, our bodies are not designed to digest cows milk, over half the population is lactose intolerant which can cause serious health problems, it can fill up toddlers and kids and stop them from eating more solid foods

Positives: it has calcium and some vitamins that can be found in other foods

I'm not anti dairy but I also believe your diet is better without it
    Great summary! I totally agree. We do use a LOT of milk in our house though. My kids eat porridge almost every morning and I make it with milk. But I myself am lactose intolerant so I don't drink milk, only soy milk (BOnsoy! I'm a soy snob). I do eat a lot of ice cream at the moment (pregnancy cravings!) but I always feel sick afterwards lol

Kids don't drink a lot of milk, but they consume a lot of dairy products (in porridge, smoothie every couple of days, and I think they drink a bit at childcare too). I would say 99% of their beverage intake is water.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Juice and other drinks for kids

I don't think milk is healthy - the negatives far outweigh the positives but unfortunately the dairy corporation is great at marketing and has us believing you must drink cows milk for strong bones - it's interesting to note the countries with the highest dairy consumption also have the highest rates of osteoporosis

Negatives: hard to digest, inhibit iron absorption, our bodies are not designed to digest cows milk, over half the population is lactose intolerant which can cause serious health problems, it can fill up toddlers and kids and stop them from eating more solid foods

Positives: it has calcium and some vitamins that can be found in other foods

I'm not anti dairy but I also believe your diet is better without it
    Just curious as to what your qualifications are? I see you offering advice about food (drinks in this instance) & was interested in what your background was?

Hope that doesn't sound nasty, I'm genuinely interested!
    Last edited by AmyEL; 21-09-2016 at 23:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Juice and other drinks for kids

Quote Originally Posted by AmyEL View Post
    Just curious as to what your qualifications are? I see you offering advice about food (drinks in this instance) & was interested in what your background was?

I'll reply (knowing you didn't ask me). None of these comments about milk are particularly controversial. They are well known observations most nutritionists and dietitians advocate.

Most food we eat or drink is inflammatory; what is important to recognise is how our individual bodies react to those foods. A lot of people I know won't eat gluten even though they aren't gluten intolerant. I find that a bit odd but each to their own.

With dairy a lot of people are intolerant to it but don't realise this as the intolerance isn't making them "sick".

I recently did an elimination diet out of curiosity to see how eliminating different foods from my diet would make me feel. It was quite fascinating and challenged me to rethink how I viewed many staples in my diet.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Sonja thanks, I wasn't necessarily asking in regards to this topic, just in general.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We rarely have juice in the house - on really when there are birthday parties, etc. My kids might try some at a party, but usually prefer water because it's what they're used to drinking.

We are also mostly dairy free due to me + 3 kids having a dairy intolerance. All kids had CMPI from birth, so I dont have any traces of dairy when breastfeeding & the kids dont have any dairy for the first 3-4 years of their life. My kids tend to start slowly tolerating cheese & baked dairy in small amounts at around age 3-4, but still dont have milk, yogurt, or cream, and willj never be big consumers of dairy. It makes us too unwell & causes asthma attacks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyEL View Post

No qualifications! 1 nutritionist and 1 naturopath in the family, so we discuss nutrition, food a lot - I'm a big foodie , BLW advocate and have a huge interest in nutrition , especially for kids so do a lot of reading/research plus as a non meat eater for nearly 30 years I have researched a lot on how much healthier our bodies can be with a lot less animal products in them

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

A&S  (05-10-2016),A-Squared  (22-09-2016),AmyEL  (22-09-2016),witherwings  (23-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I'll reply (knowing you didn't ask me). None of these comments about milk are particularly controversial. They are well known observations most nutritionists and dietitians advocate.

Most food we eat or drink is inflammatory; what is important to recognise is how our individual bodies react to those foods. A lot of people I know won't eat gluten even though they aren't gluten intolerant. I find that a bit odd but each to their own.

With dairy a lot of people are intolerant to it but don't realise this as the intolerance isn't making them "sick".

I recently did an elimination diet out of curiosity to see how eliminating different foods from my diet would make me feel. It was quite fascinating and challenged me to rethink how I viewed many staples in my diet.
    My BIL was lactose intolerant as a child and supposedly 'outgrew' it. DH and him are from a family that think nothing of drinking 1L of milk with dinner and chasing it down with 1kg of yoghurt.

Recently BIL got given goat milk in a food hamper - apparently he felt better than he has for years and has now cut back on dairy and buys goat or lactose free milk.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Both my lids are CMPI and I used to be intolerant to it as a child too.

DD is 4.5 and can now toe rate it but doesn't want it or cheese, or real butter (but has no problems with chocolate or ice cream of course!!!)

I cut out dairy from my diet when DS was breastfeeding as he didn't take a bottle so I had no option. I definitely weighed less because of it.

Since weaning him I went back to cheese and ice cream and chocolate and piled on the weight!

So now I'm cutting it out as much as I can. I've always had soy in my coffee even before BF DS, so I continue that and try to do cheese and cream and butter in moderation. I do still have Greek yoghurt as a substitute for cream in recipes. It's definitely not as good as people believe, but is very hard to eliminate if you don't have a reason like I did with DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No qualifications! 1 nutritionist and 1 naturopath in the family, so we discuss nutrition, food a lot - I'm a big foodie , BLW advocate and have a huge interest in nutrition , especially for kids so do a lot of reading/research plus as a non meat eater for nearly 30 years I have researched a lot on how much healthier our bodies can be with a lot less animal products in them
    Thanks, just wondered as you seem to be called upon for advise relating to the topic a lot.