+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids are 6 and almost 4. They have mostly water, with milk sometimes. Also fruit tea or hot honey/lemon drink at times in winter. Juice at parties.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My little guy doesn't like milk. He gets water as his standard drink. If we are out and I get a juice or smoothie he can have some of mine. we make smoothies at home too (banana, milk and honey).

If he's sick and needs to drink fluids (or is vomiting) he gets a little ribena.

I'm pretty chilled out about most things though - God knows how many marshmallows he ate when we started toilet training him! - and he knows at home it's only water and a little treat beverage here and there doesn't hurt him.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

sproutx3  (21-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Watered down juice most of the time.

The older two will happily drink water though. The youngest has been spoilt by grandparents and will refuse to drink anything other than juice or milk.

The middle kid is also happy to drink very weak tea or milo as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS will only drink water.

I wouldn't mind if he wanted to drink watered down juice occasionally, but he is just not interested.

He's an incredibly fussy eater, so I guess it's unsurprising that this fussiness extends to beverages too.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Mine mainly only drink milk and water, but will drink milo, sometimes watered down juice. And even cordial here and there lol I believe in moderation, there is nothing wrong with some juice or cordial as long as they are mainly drinking water and brushing their teeth. But then my eldest two are much older than many kids of members on BH. Nothing wrong with wanting them healthy, but you can't keep them in the bubble forever
    Lol, my bubble was burst with DD when she was about 10 months old. I was holding DS's slurpee while wearing her in a ring sling and she leaned over and took a great big gulp of it I didn't even know she could use a straw!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (19-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    in my case I was not allowed fizzy drink at home rarely juice just water. When I was old enough to get a job all I did was buy cartons of coke and indulge. So I'm not sure which way will work for Making our kids not go nuts like I did. same for chocolate and lollies. I hardly got them now I go nuts for them. I am trying not to limit ds like I was because I don't want him to go nuts on it when he can himself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Mine mainly only drink milk and water, but will drink milo, sometimes watered down juice. And even cordial here and there lol I believe in moderation, there is nothing wrong with some juice or cordial as long as they are mainly drinking water and brushing their teeth. But then my eldest two are much older than many kids of members on BH. Nothing wrong with wanting them healthy, but you can't keep them in the bubble forever
    My kids don't live in a bubble, and my reasons for no juice/soft drink/cordial have nothing to do with their teeth. Interestingly, I always feel I need to justify my reasons irl due to people judging me when my kids decline a popper at a party, or I say no if asked on their behalf. It would be nice if people wouldn't automatically think that a parent is keeping their kids in a bubble (or being over the top, or whatever other judgements may go through people's heads) because they have rules about what they can and can't drink.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

giveitago  (19-09-2016),MissSparkles  (21-09-2016),witherwings  (19-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    My kids don't live in a bubble, and my reasons for no juice/soft drink/cordial have nothing to do with their teeth.
    Do your kids have restricted sugar intake for behavioral reactions to additives etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    in my case I was not allowed fizzy drink at home rarely juice just water. When I was old enough to get a job all I did was buy cartons of coke and indulge. So I'm not sure which way will work for Making our kids not go nuts like I did. same for chocolate and lollies. I hardly got them now I go nuts for them. I am trying not to limit ds like I was because I don't want him to go nuts on it when he can himself
    This is a good point. I was talking to a friend last week who wasn't allowed any junk as a child. As soon as he got a job and moved out he went crazy. He ended up in a state of drinking 5L of coke a day and eating McDonald's etc every day. Weight ballooned of course and he was unhealthy for ages. Now in his 40s he tries to stay away from that stuff but still finds it really hard to control sweet intake and will demolish a whole block of chocolate, or a whole jar of Nutella in one sitting. So I do think there is some value in not 'with holding' and perhaps making it an option and role modeling healthy consumption so kids have experience having a bit and being able to regulate and say no. Not 100% sure on how to achieve this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

kim85  (20-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No VP. It's not behavioural related. Sorry for being cagey, I just don't really want to give out such personal info on a forum.