+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids are mainly water drinkers. We cut milk out for DD2 about a year ago and it's filtered through the house. Although I'll still have it when I buy my coffee.
    But I agree with others, dairy isn't the best so I try and limit it in our house! I was really worried when we originally cut out milk for DD2 about calcium, but was surprised at how little dairy a child actually needs per day and how easily that can be replaced with other things to get their recommended daily intake.

But back on topic, DD1 gets lemonade for special occasions, like birthdays and movie trips.
    We don't really do juice, I'm not a fan of sugar so it's just easier to not have juice in the house, because they'd want it with every meal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Mainly water here. Once a week he will have a lemonade but will sometimes choose to drink water. Breakfast he may sometimes have a juice but it's only every few days really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Milk is not "healthy". I will never agree to that proposition. And my kids don't like it. I don't offer it (ever) and they actually don't like the taste of it. We use almond and coconut milk blends. They love that.
    I grew up on a dairy farm where we had milk daily straight from the vat which still had the cream on it.
    While we grew up with alot of milk we have it in our house in moderation. I personally believe it is an important part of your diet. Not alot but some.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    I grew up on a dairy farm where we had milk daily straight from the vat which still had the cream on it.
    While we grew up with alot of milk we have it in our house in moderation. I personally believe it is an important part of your diet. Not alot but some.
    You're not really getting what Sonja is saying. That's fine for you to believe that milk is an essential part of a healthy diet for you, but you asked her "how can you be more healthy without milk?". She and a few others have replied about how *for them* a life without milk is more healthy than one with. If both parents are intolerant to something, then it's pretty like their kids will be too and if you have yourself set up with a healthy, dairy free life there realky isn't any need to introduce dairy for the kids.

My family of 4 gets through around 14l of milk a week. I am by no means anti-dairy. But I understand and respect that it is not an essential part of a human's diet.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (22-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OBoth my kids are under 4 and they have water in their drink bottles all day, my oldest might ask for 'fizzy' at dinner which is half Soda half water. The both love babycinos so we'll have them if we're at a cafe. Occasionally juice for my 3.5yo. When they were both just starting solids I was very focused (*cough *obsessed) about what they ate, now we just allow them to eat and drink what we have (perhaps not mums evening glass of wine!). We're pretty healthy and I think modelling good choices works better for us than focusing on the nitty gritty of what the kids are having.
    Eta actually 'modelling good choices' didn't work so well when we were all in the car and dd1 saw a maccas and asked for nuggets! Pipe down little one! Mum was pregnant and was satisfying a craving!
    Last edited by Mambo; 22-09-2016 at 20:57.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mambo For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (23-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    well... you're all much better parents than me.

My kids have their water bottles full all day and have water with their meals, but they are allowed juice or flavoured milks when we're out. They're also allowed soft drinks at parties. The only drinks I would never ever consider letting them have is caffeinated drinks.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (27-09-2016),kim85  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    well... you're all much better parents than me.

My kids have their water bottles full all day and have water with their meals, but they are allowed juice or flavoured milks when we're out. They're also allowed soft drinks at parties. The only drinks I would never ever consider letting them have is caffeinated drinks.
    High five. Someone else like me... We go out pretty rarely and they never really have soft drink or store bought juice, but sometimes we give them weak cordial or those Sipahh straws in milk with dinner as a treat. And they are 6, 4, 3 and 2.
    They constantly have their water bottles with them and we have a Brita filter in the fridge and they all get their own water all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mainly water here. Usually a small cup of milk before bed, a milkshake as a treat once a week. Juice is only for when he's sick (i.e. Has been vomitting and needs to recover). He only ever asks for water (he's 3). He goes totally hyper on juice. Now he's older i let him have it at parties etc. he's used to water and that's generally what he asks for. It was one of the things I was very strict with when he was little and im glad he loves water now. He knows it quenches his thirst.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 2 years

Fruit juices yes (thinned with water)
    Soda NO