+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What size washing machine to buy?

I'm currently using a 5kg top loader for our family of 4 and it's getting difficult.
    I've always had top loaders - in fact I think the one I have is the only one I've ever had as it just keeps going.

Even though it is very reliable, I want a bigger machine and a front loader I think. I assume front loaders are better??

For a family of 4, what size front loader do you think would be best? What works or doesn't work for you?
    Any recommendations on brands would be welcome too please.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just upgraded from a 5kg Simpson front loader to a 10kg LG front loader this week. I've always had front loaders and think they're great so would always have one. I can't compare to a top loader but certainly think if a top loader has an agitator it would be rougher on clothes.
    I have only done 2 loads of washing so far but did a load of 3 towels, bathmat, 3 hand towels and a full-ish load of clothes in one go and it was only half full so I am loving the 10kg capacity!!
    I got an LG but it's a superseded model - I assume their other models are similar in function. The thing I am most impressed with is that even on 1400rpm spin it is so quiet which is amazing. My old Simpson washer was 13+ years old and so loud, tiny and terrible at washing really. The LG had pretty good reviews and I got a great price.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

CookingMonster  (17-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I just upgraded from a 5kg Simpson front loader to a 10kg LG front loader this week. I've always had front loaders and think they're great so would always have one. I can't compare to a top loader but certainly think if a top loader has an agitator it would be rougher on clothes.
    I have only done 2 loads of washing so far but did a load of 3 towels, bathmat, 3 hand towels and a full-ish load of clothes in one go and it was only half full so I am loving the 10kg capacity!!
    I got an LG but it's a superseded model - I assume their other models are similar in function. The thing I am most impressed with is that even on 1400rpm spin it is so quiet which is amazing. My old Simpson washer was 13+ years old and so loud, tiny and terrible at washing really. The LG had pretty good reviews and I got a great price.
    Do you mind if I ask how much you paid??

Sounds awesome! Massive and really quiet!? Tick! Tick!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Do you mind if I ask how much you paid??

Sounds awesome! Massive and really quiet!? Tick! Tick!
    $1049 brand new in box from grays online I just checked and they don't have it any more. I got the lg wd14071sd6 model. It's been replaced by wd1410sbw.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

We have a 10kg LG front loader as well. We've had it for over 3 years it was $1700 - the price has dropped substantially on the current models. Ours has a steam function which is brilliant for whites, stain removal, doing towels/sheets etc.... it so has a steam refresh cycle for your dry cleanable.

Anyway it is my first front loader and I would never go back jow. It is much gentler on clothes, uses less water and a lot quieter.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

CookingMonster  (18-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went from a Simpson top loader 4kg (never any issues, the ex wanted it in our settlement) so bought a front loader fisher and Paykel 4kg front loader. Never again I lost count how many times it was fixed

Last year I bought an asko 8kg or 8.5kg for $1649. I love it so much it's super quiet and uses very little water. It has so many different settings I'm still confused by some of them

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried a front loader when our old washer broke. It was terrible! It took sooo long to wash, the towels came out scratchy, and the whole house shook when it was spinning, even on low settings. Turns out a front loader is not a good idea if you live in a weatherboard pole house. It damaged things. So we went back to a top loader and I love it. But I always think for size, get the largest you can fit in the space.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have the LG 9.5kg.... It has a sensor also, so you can't waste water, it just uses how much and tops up if needs to. It's brilliant. That was from the good guys I believe. It's a top loader.

Edit to add....we are a family of 4.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went back to a top loader. It's 10kg with no agitator. I don't love the way it washes (fisher and paykel), but will replace with another top loader when the time comes. I don't love front loaders.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I absolutely hated my Harvey Norman brand Ariston. Had it for 3 years, it didn't wash properly or rinse and the handle would get jammed shut. It started playing up bad once we moved states (removalists didn't put the stabilizers in), anyway our warranty replaced it. I now have the new model ariston which is awesome. Washes so well, it's quiet which is a plus considering my bedroom is right near the laundry and has that many wash cycles to choose from which I love.