Working 20hrs per week local government | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Working 20hrs per week local government

For those who do 20hrs per week, how do you spread the hours out? What days and hrs do you work. For those in local government, how do you work around kids? Do you have flexibility if you need to pick up kids from school? Or if your children are sick?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would choose to work Monday, Wednesday and Friday full days if I could (thats when most public holidays and pupil free days fall) so at least you'd get paid days off...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

moosey  (17-09-2016),Wise Enough  (17-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'll be doing Mon/Tues/Thurs from next year with some flexibility to work around sick kids etc depending on how many staff on and what work is on and what deadlines etc

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

moosey  (17-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've found government to be very flexible. They are very family orientated.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

moosey  (17-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do 24 hour week - 8 hours a day wed, Thur and fri. It helps with school holidays to have my work days combined so my daughter can go to grandmas for a short 3 day holiday for the days I work. When I can't take annual leave.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

moosey  (17-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hours wouldn't work in local government, but I usually do 22-24 hours per week. I do 3 evening shifts, usually 2:45-10pm (sometimes a bit longer). Days vary, but often something like Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday. My partner runs his business from home, so has the kids when I'm at work. If I worked during "normal" hours more, then they'd be in childcare while I was at work.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

moosey  (17-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do 2 full days (Tuesday and Friday) and do 2hrs each on Wednesday and Thursday from home. That's on paper. In reality I work 7 days a week but that's my crappy job
    If I were you (and if the employer was flexible) I'd either do 2 full days and a short day so you can get errands done. Or 3 shorter days if kids are at school so you can tie in with school hours.
    It really depends on your role and manager as to flexibility - I worked in government for 10 years and we had some people who had no flexibility in terms of start or finish times or working from home due to the nature of their role and others who were able to negotiate hours and regular or ad hoc work from home days. They should have a policy on workplace flexibility being local government.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

moosey  (17-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I do 2 full days (Tuesday and Friday) and do 2hrs each on Wednesday and Thursday from home. That's on paper. In reality I work 7 days a week but that's my crappy job
    If I were you (and if the employer was flexible) I'd either do 2 full days and a short day so you can get errands done. Or 3 shorter days if kids are at school so you can tie in with school hours.
    It really depends on your role and manager as to flexibility - I worked in government for 10 years and we had some people who had no flexibility in terms of start or finish times or working from home due to the nature of their role and others who were able to negotiate hours and regular or ad hoc work from home days. They should have a policy on workplace flexibility being local government.
    Thanks for this!

I'd love to do two 10hr days but I don't know if it's a possibility. It is part of the policy to be flexible, I just don't know if they will be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do 21.5 hours per week. 7 hours Tues and Wed (I start late for school drop off) and 7.5 Thurs which is a standard day where I work.

I'm not in local government so can't say how flexible it would be. I'm lucky my workplace is pretty flexible although if I wanted to do pick up I'd have to end my day at 2:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    I've found government to be very flexible. They are very family orientated.
    That's what I'm hoping!