+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm a loud and proud Naplan fan here!

I think more people would look at the My schools website if their closest 'applicable' school had a ****bag rep (like my highschool). It's easy to say you don't want to look at Naplan as your focus is on curriculum, diversity, social aspects etc when you live in a 'good' area and already know the school you are planning on paying fees to send your kid to has a gold class rep..
    Yep, I do know what you mean. We are lucky and I know it. Not bc our school has good naplan's but bc it really is an amazing school. We have publics here we could move zones for, but I admit if my choices were only bad public schools (and I know they exist) I'd have to send them private. Which makes me curl my toes as an atheist lol

I certainly am not against parents choosing a school that is best for them, looking around and not taking everything at face value. They shouldn't. I guess my point in these threads is for people to look past the numbers on myschool, to remember private doesn't always equal better. Do your homework and remember sometimes there is an amazing school in that bad suburb with not so crash hot naplan's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I personally think naplan is a fantastic tool if used as it was originally intended. The architect of naplan has come forward and publicly disowned it and said if his kids were at an age where they had to do naplan he'd make them stay home.

I think it is completely misused by schools (some) and an individual's performance on naplan should only be of interest to the school they currently attend and their parent. My schools is a disaster and the information should not be available publicly the way it is. The majority of parents don't know how to interpret naplan results until they actually go through the process.
    100% agree

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I think more people would look at the My schools website if their closest 'applicable' school had a ****bag rep (like my highschool). It's easy to say you don't want to look at Naplan as your focus is on curriculum, diversity, social aspects etc when you live in a 'good' area and already know the school you are planning on paying fees to send your kid to has a gold class rep..
    I actually agree with this. NAPLAN isn't even on my radar because we live in a high socio-economic area where all the public schools perform at the same level as the elite private schools right next door.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not the case for me! Most of the schools in my are have a less-than-favorable reputation. The only local public school with a good reputation among the general public that I can think of is one that I've completely ruled out sending my kids to (too academically-focused for my liking).

For me it comes down to the fact that I've taught in some of our city's "worst" schools by reputation, yet would happily send my children to school there. A reputation doesn't hold any weight with me. I value what the people involved with the school community think, but not those who are simply repeating rumors and judgement with a decided air of snobbery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I get that, our local zoned public school is a totally sh!t school that I just wouldn't send my kids to. I know it's sh!t because I have TRT teaching experience there - enough to see that it's not right for my kids at all. But it seems to have quite a good reputation amongst many people in the community - I keep my views of it to myself, but whenever there's a facebook post of 'what do you think of this school?', there seems to be a majority who rave about how good it is, & then some pipe up who hate it. I guess reputation really issnt always indicative of what really goes on there every day. I think Naplan can add a piece to the puzzle if you're trying to get an accurate picture od the school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I chose DD's school based on

size 200+ a small size provides lots of transperancy with teachers and students.

anti bullying policy

grassy play areas (too many were covered in portables and concrete)

teachers (observed during a taste of school sessions the previous year)

principal approach and manner

class sizes less than 20

buildings nicely ventilated .... So many were old and tired with poor air flow leaving students looking tired

distance to home

Didn't even look at NAPLAN but have heard it's not the greatest placement

Thanks
    Reviews
    NAPLAN is a croc. Honestly I wouldn't take it into consideration at ALL. Some schools actually "rig" the system. They don't get the children who they know aren't going to do wells it the test. Other schools who may have a high population of children with special needs get everyone to do the test no matter how well/bad they think they'll do. Also some schools teach "NAPLAN" which isn't a true measure of student's abilities. A lot of children don't cope well in that situation. In my opinion it is not a true test of a child's academic ability. I'm a relief teacher. I get to see all sorts of work from children. I can tell you now that I've been to schools where they've gotten a good result from NAPLAN but I'm left thinking how? They're writing and mathematical skills of a lot of these kids don't match the results. Vice versa as well. I really would take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I get that, our local zoned public school is a totally sh!t school that I just wouldn't send my kids to. I know it's sh!t because I have TRT teaching experience there - enough to see that it's not right for my kids at all. But it seems to have quite a good reputation amongst many people in the community - I keep my views of it to myself, but whenever there's a facebook post of 'what do you think of this school?', there seems to be a majority who rave about how good it is, & then some pipe up who hate it. I guess reputation really issnt always indicative of what really goes on there every day. I think Naplan can add a piece to the puzzle if you're trying to get an accurate picture od the school.
    This is where knowing a few teachers helps a lot. I usually find that schools have a very different reputation amongst teachers compared to the wider community and as lot of good teachers want to work at schools with more funding due to more students with additional needs if they are putting that funding towards good programs.

I had a child in my class one year with an intellectual disability whose parents were insistent that they attend the exclusive private high school that their sibling did. This school has a great reputation with waitIng lists to get in. But I knew from other teachers who had worked there that they would offer this child about 1hour each day of having an education assistant compared to the full 3 days a week they would get at the local high school they lived near. Myself and their assistant were worried that socially they would stand out, making them an easy target for bullying. Especially as none of their classmates were attending there - generally this kid would always have someone help them in the yard because they knew they were in need of that help (eg. "everyone always looks out for X"). So we spent most of their last year at school doing programs to build social skills and had many meetings with the new school to try to make sure they understood our concerns and met this child's needs. I heard from the child's mum 6 months into the year that they had been going through massive bullying and pretty much all our worst case scenarios had happened. It broke my heart.

One of the high school choices they could have sent their child to was the subject of a recent ABC doco. A school that would have been able to offer this child a wealth of wellbeing support, innovative teaching and a range of vocational training career paths well within this child's capabilities. But a school still struggling with having a "rough" reputation amongst parents.

IF I were to use Naplan to help me decide between a school, the only data I would look at is cohort progress. So if the Grade 3s in 2014 were in the green but then when they get to grade 5 in 2016 they are in the red, then that would have me asking questions.

A school I worked at in WA had Naplan scores falling each year (eg. Grade 3 in 2014 scored less than the grade 3 group in 2013, 2012 and so on.). But when you looked at those same kids in 2 years time, we were actually creating a bigger level of progress each year. What had happened in that school though was they had developed a very good reputation for inclusiveness of students with additional needs and for identifying those needs. Other schools either blatantly turn these kids away or subtly (or not so subtly) suggest their school is not the best choice for their child as they know they will drag down their Naplan scores.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Assuming parenting styles on bub etc hub is representative of parenting styles etc in the outside world?
    ROFL... have you looked in the sugary-hell-poison-liquid-of-sin... oh, I mean fruit juice, thread? Yet another example of how here is not representative of out there.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (19-09-2016),BettyV  (19-09-2016),delirium  (19-09-2016),mmaf  (19-09-2016),onionskin  (19-09-2016),Sonja  (19-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Naplan wasn't even a factor I didn't know it existed until DS started school in mid 2012. He did his first test this year and scored above school average for everything.

He goes to the local school that I went to. He can walk there with his friends when old and confident enough to do do. We are practising now doing sections by himself. First part walking up my folks through the park next will be that I meet him at the walkway (2ways to get there) and we go from there.

It only has around 250 kids. When I was there it was around 500-600. Still s very nice area but there more private schools around nowadays hence numbers are lower.