Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I use naplan to pick between the nearby schools

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm from a teaching background - only taught for 3 years, but have a strong interest in education.

Our main considerations were:
    -distance from our house; is it walkable?
    -preferably public
    -school philosophy and pedagogy
    -'feel' of the school
    -current students' thoughts

We've enrolled our daughter for 2 schools (both have an attached pre-school and she'll be starting at one next year). One is our local, and one is a few km down the road. Both are in low SES areas, and have a lot of kids with extra needs. That's the area we live in.

Our local is literally 'round the corner. I've heard nothing but praise from parents and teachers who have anything to do with the school. It seems like your typical suburban public primary school to me, and I'm sure it'll be perfectly fine; it's where our kids will probably go.

The other is about 3km away. The school has been quite innovative in recent years. They're implementing pedagogy and ideas that are evidence-based, and getting great results. We go to a playgroup at this school, and it's the kind of place that comes pretty close to my idea of the perfect school (child-led, focus on the whole student, encouraging risk-taking and kindness, focus on meeting student sensory needs etc.). In all likelihood, DD won't get in there as we're out of the immediate area, but we'll find out in November.

Wouldn't have a clue about their naplab.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Given the discussions the last few days I'm not sure people would admit to it lol
    I'll look, and if the scores were really poor is probably question the principal on it.

But it isn't my deciding factor.

What concerns me is that so many high schools base their entrance applications on it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    So it appears naplan isn't used much from all these responses.
    Assuming parenting styles on bub etc hub is representative of parenting styles etc in the outside world?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default What reasons do you use/need to pick a school for your kids? Is naplan even a...

Given the discussions the last few days I'm not sure people would admit to it lol
    I'm a loud and proud Naplan fan here!

I think more people would look at the My schools website if their closest 'applicable' school had a ****bag rep (like my highschool). It's easy to say you don't want to look at Naplan as your focus is on curriculum, diversity, social aspects etc when you live in a 'good' area and already know the school you are planning on paying fees to send your kid to has a gold class rep..
    Last edited by VicPark; 18-09-2016 at 14:53.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

delirium  (18-09-2016),misho  (18-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

I think more people would look at the My schools website if their closest 'applicable' school had a ****bag rep (like my highschool). It's easy to say you don't want to look at Naplan as your focus is on curriculum, diversity, social aspects etc when you live in a 'good' area and already know the school you are planning on paying fees to send your kid to has a gold class rep..
    We moved because we didn't want to send our kids to the school we were zoned to and I still couldn't tell you what their NAPLAN scores are. When we went school shopping, we never looked.
    ETA - I just looked the school up...they score better in NAPLAN than the school we did pick...and actually score really well overall.
    Last edited by Full House; 18-09-2016 at 15:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand what you mean but would hope we are not all sheep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    I'll look, and if the scores were really poor is probably question the principal on it.

But it isn't my deciding factor.

What concerns me is that so many high schools base their entrance applications on it.
    I don't think they base their application on NAPLAN , I think it's just included in the application as its a test everyone takes - my nieces got into a private girls school in your area and both girls had below average NAPLAN scores and 1 with special needs so I know they didn't get in based on that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

I certainly wouldn't judge on reputation alone. A reputation can be tarnished in one instant for no big reason and it sticks.

The school I work at has a really bad reputation for bad behaviour and people apply to the other public school down the road out of area because it's apparently better. But we've been on the news, in newspapers, the state education minister has visited our school several times because of our success and a few weeks ago at the early action for success conference, the keynote speaker mentioned the school I work at as one of the most successful schools for early action for success. She even said that we should be proud of our NAPLAN results So successful has our school been as a pilot school for the early action for success initiative that the state government has decided to fund the model for another 4 years until 2020 and extend it to another 400 public schools. Now I wouldn't have even known about her mentioning our school at the conference except that one of the teachers from my children's school went to the conference and told me that the speaker mentioned our school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default What reasons do you use/need to pick a school for your kids? Is naplan even a...

I personally think naplan is a fantastic tool if used as it was originally intended. The architect of naplan has come forward and publicly disowned it and said if his kids were at an age where they had to do naplan he'd make them stay home.

I think it is completely misused by schools (some) and an individual's performance on naplan should only be of interest to the school they currently attend and their parent. My schools is a disaster and the information should not be available publicly the way it is. The majority of parents don't know how to interpret naplan results until they actually go through the process.
    Last edited by Sonja; 18-09-2016 at 16:10.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-09-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-09-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (18-09-2016)