What reasons do you use/need to pick a school for your kids? Is naplan even a choice? | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We picked our school but it's the only one I could chose from BUT important things for me, which our school does have

The attitude and approachability of the principal and a firm but fair stance

Friendliness of teachers and how well they "get on" with the kids

Approach to bullying

Approach to dealing with children who are falling behind for whatever reason

School programs such as sport and music

How well parents are included into the school community

School size and class numbers.

I had a look at myschool yesterday (only because of the other thread, I kind of forgot it was a thing) and our school doesn't rate very well for NAPLAN. It's in the red a lot. But there are quite a few children who can't speak properly let alone read or write before starting school. The old principal was disinterested in bringing those children up to standard (they weren't going to amount to anything anyway, right?) so those children are still disinterested, and their younger siblings who are coming into primary now, are coping them. Our new principal is pushing really hard to implement new programs to really help them out. These programs are great for challenging my "average" eldest child and he has come forward leaps and bounds. These programs will be amazing for my ASD child (starting next year) who is one of the ones who needs help. So whilst on paper, we may not look great, a large percentage of our school is starting from behind to begin with, and if you could just spend a bit of time in the school, you would see the amazing work they are doing with these kids.

Our senior classes aren't as good (a central school, k-12) but that's more to do with resources etc due to lack on enrolments. However our principal is currently trying to get it so that our children can go to a nearby (4 hours away) boarding school, which is an amazing school, on full scholarship. That won't affect us as we don't want to send our children away so will unfortunately have to move before then. But it just goes to show how dedicated our principal is to making sure our kids get the best education. Myschool didn't mention any of this when dishing out those little red marks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    NAPLAN was only a consideration in that I did not want DS2 being required to participate!

So for us considerations we're:

Play based preschool/kindergarten (1st year of school here in ACT)

Delayed introduction of formal schooling (7/8 years onwards no earlier)

Holistic approach to child

Extensive opportunities for outdoor play and activities - so school vegetable gardens and animals, nature walks, free unstructured play.

Technology free in primary years.

Limited or no religion (more DH than I)

No standardised testing or optional

Encouragement of independent and critical thinking and learning from primary.

No homework in primary.

Strong bullying policy. Strong social media policy.

No particular order although no formal schooling until 7/8 was non negotiable and probably the number 1 priority. Followed by no tech in primary.
    Curious as whether the non formal schooling was easy to find.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our reasons were pretty simple;

- I don't want to send my children to a religious primary school and there are no independent private schools in the area, so that narrowed our choice to public
    - we love the suburb we live in and I want them to be able to have friends living nearby
    - feedback from other parents, regarding the social and emotional aspect of the school. We would have considered moving to have point 2 if the school didn't have good feedback
    - the local preschool is excellent and majority of the kids will go to the local primary, so they will already have formed friendships

I have the my school website open now to look at it for the first time out of curiosity, so obviously that holds no bearing in my decision.

As someone that thrived academically, I found that it comes down to the individual teacher each year and that's not something that I can plan ahead with, so that's not something I have put any consideration in to for primary school. However, the academic ability of my girls will be the main deciding factor when it comes to high school.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have chosen the primary school. Have not chosen high school. The primary school is literally behind our house. So it is super close. A friend also did teacher prac there and has said it was a good school from his POV. Also, it is smallish ~300 for prep-6.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What reasons do you use/need to pick a school for your kids? Is naplan even a...

I won't be looking at NAPLAN. For me it will be the feel of the school, the quality of resources and outdoor areas, their bullying policies (and success in following them), class sizes and how the teachers interact with the students. I'm a teacher so I can make up any academic shortfall at this stage of necessary. I just want somewhere she will be happy and able to develop as a person.
    She will be going to the high school that my hubby works at.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't believe in the naplan. I would get my kids results in mail and chuck them out. It is a waste of money and time ! Kids have enough to worry about without adding extra stress.

We moved a lot when kids were at school One year they had 2 schools in term 1and term 2 in diff states ! I chose their schools by location. By talking to principle and researching class numbers etc. naplan results weren't important

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default What reasons do you use/need to pick a school for your kids? Is naplan even a...

Wow, feeling like an uncaring parent. The school we are zoned to is known as a good school simply because it's in a relatively affluent area. I knew there was low staff turn over and that was good enough for me.

Oh and NAPLAN isn't a factor, wouldn't have a clue what the school's scores are, having said that, I assume they're good
    Last edited by A-Squared; 17-09-2016 at 12:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Wow, feeling like an uncaring parent. The school we are zoned to is known as a good school simply because it's in a relatively affluent area. I knew there was low staff turn over and that was good enough for me.

Oh and NAPLAN isn't a factor, wouldn't have a clue what the school's scores are, having said that, I assume they're good
    Not a bad parent at all. IRL we are the only people in our circle who seeked out a school. Everyone else just went to the zoned school without much thought.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Curious as whether the non formal schooling was easy to find.
    No it wasn't. There are a few independent schools around Australia that delay formal schooling. Other than that if you don't live near one it's Steiner or homeschooling.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

misho  (18-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Location, location, location.

I'm a firm supporter of free education and believe that school is only one part of my children's overall learning. I also want DD to have friends who live nearby.

Of the 4 schools DD has attended there was only one time where I actually had 2 to choose between (lived exactly half way between) and I used my teaching contacts to gather some info, then went for a tour of the one I thought would be the best fit, liked it, DD liked it, so that was that. The factors that swayed me to it rather than the other choice were that it was a bit smaller (450 instead of 700), traditional style classrooms (not open learning spaces) and I'd anecdotally been told the other school had a greater students transience level due to a higher number of rental homes in its immediate area.

I ended up doing relief teaching in both schools and I 150% had made the right choice for my DD! She would never have coped with the open learning spaces as she is highly distractable.

Naplan was never looked at. I do use the Myschool site when I am considering applying for jobs at schools to get some information on their size and demographic. Again, don't bother looking at the Naplan data.