Interview, possible new job and very newly pregnant - what to do?! | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Interview, possible new job and very newly pregnant - what to do?!

Hi,

Hoping to hear other's members thoughts on my current employment situation.
    I am full-time employed in a government position in a permanent contract. I applied for a 12 month contract position which I am very interested in and sat an interview last week. It went well and I found out they have contacted my referees - now anticipating I may be offered the role. On the weekend I found out I am pregnant (probably around 4-5 weeks).

Not sure how I should proceed - if I were to be offered the new position.
    I would prefer to not tell an employer I am pregnant until 12 weeks, however ethically I feel torn, as the position is a 12 month contract that was specifically created as a one off position due to federal funding. It has a focus on service development so is quite outcomes driven. Debating if I should:

- Tell new employer I am early in pregnancy and try to negotiate a shorter contract (as I won't be able to complete the 12 months)
    OR
    - Just stay in my current permanent position

How would you proceed? I am aware that should I be offered the position, it is within my legal rights to accept and not inform them of the pregnancy until I see fit. However given the context of the role (once-off position, outcome focused) I feel ethically torn.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated! Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If it were me I would stay in my current position. Unless it was super ****ty. Your call though!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Raeshellie88  (16-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would stay in the current position

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would stay in my current position. Nothing to do with "doing the right thing" by the new mob. Just more about security returning to work. They probably won't hire you again then you're stuck with no job. Returning to government after mat leave is great, they are very accommodating.

If you renegotiated to 6 months but miscarried then you have nothing. I hate saying that but I'm a what if kind of girl

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (16-09-2016),Raeshellie88  (16-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd stay in your current position. Particularly with mat leave rights etc, starting the new position might mean you'd lose those wouldn't it?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Katvee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, thanks for your thoughts I should've added that I have great job security - as I have a permanent position currently. I can take 2-3 contract positions and still retain this role. Meaning I have rights at all times to return to my permanent role. I also have the right to return to this role after maternity leave. Pretty good benefits of being permanent when working for the government!

So I guess my concerns are more about taking a job contract that has certain timeframes and expectations that I won't be able to complete. My current job isn't too crappy but the new one would be a good opportunity for skill development

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You're going to be tired. I still say don't take it so you can cruise and not stress while pregnant

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

JR03  (16-09-2016),Raeshellie88  (16-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Wise Enough, thats an important thought. Tiredness and sickness wouldnt be as easy to manage in a new job.

Think im on the same page and are probably going to stay in my current job. Too many unknowns and possible stressors

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And you'll have appointments and scans to get yo that may involve time off work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree, if you are unlucky and experience morning sickness (I had it bad and didn't work from week 7-20) it will be easier to manage that with your current employer