baby rice cereal in bottle | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default baby rice cereal in bottle

hi im wondering if anyone has tried putting some baby rice cereal in their babies night time bottle to fill them up a bit more? my bubs is 5 months and i have tried spoon feeding solids and they dont really seem to know what to do, but their bottles are not seeming to satisfy them

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think this is an old school train of thought. I personally wouldn't do it, but hopefully someone has a bit more info etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't try it without checking with a doctor first.

What makes you think your bubs are not satisfied with milk? What solids are you trying? At what times? Have you tried different types of spoons?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never really heard of this but as the pp says, it does seem like an old fashioned idea.

how much is he/she drinking from their bottles?

I'd personally probably be inclined to up the formula and bottle volume first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never really heard of this but as the pp says, it does seem like an old fashioned idea.

how much is he/she drinking from their bottles?

I'd personally probably be inclined to up the formula and bottle volume first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default baby rice cereal in bottle

My mum did this in the 70s.

I tried, it doesn't work.

Keep persisting with the rice cereal and maybe even try some basic puréed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Please don't! Aside from being dangerous there is absolutely no evidence that it makes babies sleep longer - never give a baby anything but liquids in a bottle , especially when he's laying down as not only is it a choking hazard ( especially if he's not used to solid food yet) but it will also more than likely upset his tummy and give him gas , formula has far more calories than rice cereal ( which is nutritionally void of any nutrients) he's probably just going through a growth spurt and needs to drink more , plus you will confuse him by giving solids in a bottle - he needs to learn how to chew and regulate the amount of solids he's given , which he can't if he's drinking them!!
    Try increasing his milk , he's only 5 months old he's not supposed to sleep through the night yet

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (15-09-2016),BornToBe  (16-09-2016),gingermillie  (15-09-2016),SookiLala  (15-09-2016)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummy12 View Post
    hi im wondering if anyone has tried putting some baby rice cereal in their babies night time bottle to fill them up a bit more......i have tried spoon feeding solids and they dont really seem to know what to do
    I think those smart little twins of yours are telling you in their own quiet way that they are not quite ready for solids.
    It is not recommended to put rice cereal in bottles sorry. As far as solids go though, maybe try some chunks of cooked soft pumpkin, some ripe avocado etc when the twins show some readiness signs?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

SookiLala  (15-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum did this to us kids in the 70's worked for her but everyone is different and every baby is different aswell with the amount of time they sleep at night. My DS was shocking to start with but he has found his rhythmn now and sleeps well at night generally around 9 hrs straight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies will give it a miss! And try again in a few weeks