How to introduce a comforter? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to introduce a comforter?

I'd like to introduce a comforter for my bub who is almost 4 months old, few questions:
    1. What comforter do you suggest? I have currently a jellycat bunny and also one of those square material things with a head on it ( sorry such a bad description!)
    2. How do you introduce? Do you just place in the bassinet with them, next to them?
    I am just worried that she could suffocate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    IMG_1473926511.902002.jpg
    This is it here haha better to show a photo

Thanks
    Reviews

You can tie the blanket bit in a knot if you're worried about suffocation.

And yeah. I pretty much plonked it next to DD
    I started giving her the hat bit from the teddy head in her hand to hold, so if she was holding my finger I would do the switcheroo!
    Now she loves it. She snuggles right in!
    I didn't take long at all and it stays in her cot!
    Hope this helps a bit!

Good luck x

4. The Following User Says Thank You to clb84 For This Useful Post:

lauzie  (15-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Dd1 I used muslin wraps tied in a knot. She still is attached now at 3.5.

Dd2 I use the Aden anais security blankets (small breathable squares) just so they were "different" from dd1s blankies.

They are designed so they can't suffocate.

Introducing them is fairly easy but it takes time to get attached.Put it next to them in the bed or get them to grab it. I nursed both whole holding it with them. They will eventually start reaching for them through the night and snuggle with them.

Eta: oh and VERY IMPORTANT please make sure you have at least 2 of any comforter you introduce so you can rotate for washing or if it gets lost.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 15-09-2016 at 19:32.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

lauzie  (15-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies
    She is just starting to use her hands so hopefully grabbing isn't too far off
    Oh yes, 2 of everything I hear ya!!! Can imagine the issues it could cause washing or loosing one!

The nursing idea sounds great, I will try this too!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lauzie For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (16-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can I ask why you want to introduce one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Put the comforter over tmyoy face to see if you can breathe through it.

Shove it down your shirt for a day or so, then plonk it next to bub. Use it at every sleep time regardless of whether it is in the pram/cot/car. Only use it at sleep time - don't let bub play with it for an hour after waking.

If you are still swaddling bub may not totally fall in love with the comforter until you stop/bub can touch it while falling asleep. It doesn't matter, just keep it up.

Good luck

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

lauzie  (16-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Calstar View Post
    Can I ask why you want to introduce one?
    Could be because comforters encourages a method of falling asleep/self settling that doesn't require adult intervention to maintain through the night? (Such as feeding to sleep/dummy etc). Of course just guessing I could be wrong about the ops intentions.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (16-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Could be because comforters encourages a method of falling asleep/self settling that doesn't require adult intervention to maintain through the night? (Such as feeding to sleep/dummy etc). Of course just guessing I could be wrong about the ops intentions.
    Yep spot on there
    @Calstar We currently use a dummy and not that I am having an issue with it at the moment, I would like to wean from that and have her self settle with a comforter hopefully.
    The thought of having to put her dummy back in when she is in her own room doesn't sound appealing, even though we only have to do it once or twice at the moment.

I am hesitant to make any changes until we make it through the 4th leap which starts in October, or perhaps that would be a good time to say bye bye to dumm, not sure.

Thanks @VicPark they are some great tips, we are still swaddling at the moment so it sounds like it may take her some time to get used to then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All 3 of my children had/have comforters. I introduced at about 3 mths old by tucking it next to their body when in bed/sleeping and they all took to them beautifully.
    My kids are now 13, 10 and 5 and still have or sleep with their comforters. The 5 and 10yo take them if they are sleeping else where...
    As others have said you need at least 2 or 3 identical and rotate them so they all smell "right" and wear the same...trust me..I had to get an Eeyore snuggly shipped from the UK after lots of searching...