+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default How much for a front fence?

Has anyone recently (in the last 3 years) had a new front fence built for their house? What type of fence? How wide and high? How much was it?

I've been shocked at the prices we have been getting.

We are after a western red cedar vertical slat sliding drive way gate and swinging walk through gate and the remainder of the fence would be verticals timber slat fence with automation to the gate (so we can open and close the driveway gate when we are driving up the street)

1.5 meters high and the width is 15 meters.

We haven't received a quote under $15k yet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Red cedar is expensive.
    Good lord 15k
    Have you asked how much without red cedar? Maybe with wood that looks similar..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by rach4 View Post
    Red cedar is expensive.
    Good lord 15k
    Have you asked how much without red cedar? Maybe with wood that looks similar..
    We have and it reduces it by about $1,500 only and because we have western red cedar on the facade of our house, all the look a likes are too different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    3 years ago we got a 20 m wide rendered brink fence with aluminium slat panels, pedestrian gate and automated car gate - $23K. I nearly died. It looked amazing when finished though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (15-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have just had built a brick one with the aluminium slats in the gaps. I would say it is probably about 15m long, and about 1.8 high. But we got it in our build cost, so not actually sure of price of it. Would part brick be any cheaper ?

You can also get DIY kits online at some fence places, so you tell them what you want and they send you the whole pack to erect and put up yourselves ?

I think the auto gate is probably a lot of your cost. Can you just get the gate for now, and add the auto to it later ? once you maybe save a little for it ?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 4LeafClover For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (15-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    We have the money sitting in our offset account, but we also have Alfresco pacing, alfresco veranda, air con for our loft space play room and a few random things inside we need to do but our total budget is $30k, so we were hoping for some change out of that too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just asked my hubby whose a builder..... Didn't tell him how much you were quoted. He says it would be roughly 15 grand. There's a lot of work involved etc

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (15-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No idea about wood but our fence is the pool style fence and it is a lot more expensive than we thought!

Did they give you a breakdown of the quote (prices of wood, labour, concrete etc etc?). If not, ask for that and see where the expense is. And do that for every quote.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (15-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ask my DP who is a builder he does first fix, second fix, all external claddings, decks pergolas some wooden slat fences and was like $15k easy. A lot is soaked up on labour but as you want to put in an auto gate aswell you have to remember there is a line being run from the house to do that under ground and that's not cheap in the slightest

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (15-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first thought was it doesn't sound excessive. I've always found fencing expensive (haven't put one like yours in though). I think that you've got a few aspects that soak up a lot of $ - timber (so expensive), the automation on the gate, the mechanism for the sliding gate, the gate frame itself plus the extra gate.
    I think you'll find just the cost of the wood will be a few thousand on its own. Then you've got the framing, the posts, the gate frames, sliding mechanism, automation, screws and fixings plus 1-2 people wages for up to a week to install it all. So $15k is probably around the mark.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (15-09-2016)