Help! Toileting at night | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What about a potty? My DD has just started getting herself out of bed & using the potty in her room independently (she's 2.5). She has a touch lamp she can turn on herself. We have been reading some Bing books where he used the potty before bed & I think that's encouraged her.
    Sorry I can't help with the bottle situation.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Sweetcheeks1  (15-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! Toileting at night

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetcheeks1 View Post
    I've tried leaving the toilet light on and everything ready for him. It's right next to his bedroom but he will scream and cry until I come into his room or run to the other end of the house (my bedroom) to get me to help. He's still really new to it so need a help putting clothes back on etc.
    I wish he would just wee in the nappy at night to be honest but it doesn't look like he will anymore!
    What do you do with you 5 year old regarding drinks before bed? Do you stop at dinner time? Or do you let him drink if he wants and just deal with the accidents?
    That would be hard to deal with, him crying for help in the middle of the night but hopefully once he stops drinking milk at night he won't wake up needing to wee.

With our 5yr old we usually don't let him drink after dinner. He goes to bed shortly after dinner though but we make him go to the toilet immediately before sleep time. If we are still awake around midnight we actually take him to the toilet again when he's half asleep.

He used to beg for his drink bottle in bed but now he's accepted that's just not happening. If we take him to wee at midnight he won't have an accident but most of the time if he doesn't go at night he wets the bed! It's so annoying.

ETA - with denying water, if he gets Thirsty, you can tell him there is water in the bathroom for him so he needs to get up to wee and then can drink his bottle..

One of the comments above about wetting the bed not being linked to drinking overnight, I really don't agree with this. It completely depends on the habits of the child. Mine is a deep sleeper and will not wake for anything, even his brother crying loudly in the same room next to him. He guzzles down water and drinks plenty during the day. He doesn't NEED the water, he just wants it. So he knows if he is thirsty he can get his bottle from the bathroom but then needs to pee too
    Last edited by witherwings; 14-09-2016 at 17:09.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Sweetcheeks1  (15-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Potty in the bedroom is a great idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    What about a potty? My DD has just started getting herself out of bed & using the potty in her room independently (she's 2.5). She has a touch lamp she can turn on herself. We have been reading some Bing books where he used the potty before bed & I think that's encouraged her.
    Sorry I can't help with the bottle situation.
    I'm going to try this tonight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    That would be hard to deal with, him crying for help in the middle of the night but hopefully once he stops drinking milk at night he won't wake up needing to wee.

With our 5yr old we usually don't let him drink after dinner. He goes to bed shortly after dinner though but we make him go to the toilet immediately before sleep time. If we are still awake around midnight we actually take him to the toilet again when he's half asleep.

He used to beg for his drink bottle in bed but now he's accepted that's just not happening. If we take him to wee at midnight he won't have an accident but most of the time if he doesn't go at night he wets the bed! It's so annoying.

ETA - with denying water, if he gets Thirsty, you can tell him there is water in the bathroom for him so he needs to get up to wee and then can drink his bottle..

One of the comments above about wetting the bed not being linked to drinking overnight, I really don't agree with this. It completely depends on the habits of the child. Mine is a deep sleeper and will not wake for anything, even his brother crying loudly in the same room next to him. He guzzles down water and drinks plenty during the day. He doesn't NEED the water, he just wants it. So he knows if he is thirsty he can get his bottle from the bathroom but then needs to pee too
    Thanks, I tried giving him water last night and he didn't want any. Just kept crying for milk. He was up twice last night for the toilet which is fine but he got up another 4 times asking for milk. I'm hoping tonight will be better but I doubt it :-( maybe a potty in his room will work!!

It's so frustrating, he has not needed to wee this morning until 12 but is getting up hourly over night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe you can implement a reward system for not having milk at night? Bribery worked for me with Ds1 toilet training lol

It sounds like a really rough situation for you and him, but in my opinion, which might not be what's right for your son/family, the milk has to go.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Sweetcheeks1  (20-09-2016)