School uniform sizes | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default School uniform sizes

This may seem like a completely obvious question but I just don't want to get it wrong...

Ordering school uniform for the first time for my son, he will be 5yrs & 4 months when he starts kindergarten (big school in NSW) next year.

The sizes on the order form are 4, 5, 6, 7 etc.. I assume this corresponds with the age of the child? He's big for his age so do I get size 6?

Shoe size for socks is more tricky.. The sizes offered are weird. 9-12, 13-3, 2-8... This doesn't make sense to me, and that's the order it's in too...

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1473803268.344041.jpg

I'm also quite shocked at how expensive all this stuff is! Geez!!!! I'm going by the minimum recommended quantities and $70 for school shirts?

ETA - school hat? Sizes are 55cm, 57cm and 61cm ... I assume he would be the smallest, since these sizes are for k-6?
    Last edited by witherwings; 14-09-2016 at 07:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeah get size 6. And the sock sizes correspond with kids shoe size. They go up to size 13 and then start at 1 again. My DD is 9 and is now size 4 shoes (only three sizes behind me actually, I'm a size 7 in men's sizes!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (14-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Can you go try them on? We went for a fitting for DS and he was a 6 in shorts but 8 in shirts ( he's tall ) and the sock sizes are the shoe size so DS would get 13-3 as he is a size 2 shoe - his hat is a 57cm which is big for kindy so try that on too!
    Do the white shirts have a logo? Ours don't so you can get them anywhere - Marks and Spencer have great white long sleeve collared white school shirts and when on sale you can get them for about $12 each!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 14-09-2016 at 07:59.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh ok! DS wears US12 and UK11 so should I get him size 9-12 or 13-3? lol he will grow out of the current shoes he's wearing by February for sure..

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm not sure if the shirts have a logo! I'm so clueless, feeling silly getting stumped by school uniform order form.

I'm working full time so ordering from the school shop and picking it all up at orientation day seems the most convenient. I think I'll take this hit now and next year when he grows out of the clothes and I'm more savvy about it all, I can buy generic clothes that match from other stores. But things like school bag $60! All together without the sport tracksuit (I assume he won't need it until winter), it's come to $391!

The orientation info says parents will have an opportunity to swap over clothes if they don't fit. So I'll get DS to try it all on at orientation day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest I've saved heaps of money on clothes and shoes since he's been at school , yes the initial outlay is big but it lasts them a whole year whereas I was buying more clothes and shoes when he was at home!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like the sound of that! Lol
    I buy him new clothes ALL the time. If he isn't growing out of them he is getting the knees all ripped up from constantly falling off his scooter lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD has a 54cm hat which she has had since prep. She started pre-prep in 9-12 socks, I think prep-1 in 13-3 and now 3-7 but I found the socks got shorter in the dryer so you might try a size up. (she's now size 1 shoes but 3-7 socks).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've put the medium sized hat on the form and figure this can easily be swapped in the shop if necessary. I also ordered the size 13-3 socks, and size 6 for all the clothes.

Thanks for the advice ladies!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (17-09-2016)