+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default ***trigger alert*** co-sleeping death

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/32598210...Snapshot#page1

I hope this 'mum' serves serious jail time. Not because she co-slept, rather she did it unsafely. 2 x kids died because she didn't care to do the right thing.

Rip poor babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    But 'murder'?

It wasn't premeditated... but maybe US laws are slightly different.

Tragic all round.

Edit: I hope the parents who are safely co-sleeping don't cop any misdirected backlash.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Very sad for those poor babies. But I rolled my eyes a bit at the story. The first child died on the couch, not from true co sleeping. And babies can and do die all the time sleeping in a cot. From bumpers, pillows, blankets over faces, old cots that aren't safe and they get limbs stuck. But no one says cot sleeping is dangerous - they say bumpers are dangerous, babies shouldn't have pillows. Co sleeping is safe if you follow the rules, just like cot sleeping.

It's like putting a child into a car seat, not buckling them up, having a shocking accident then everyone says babies should never travel in cars. No - the parent needed to do up the seat! Babies are safe 99% of the time in cars if you follow the rules. Just as they are in cots if you don't stuff them with bumpers and teddies.... and just as co sleeping is if you don't cover the baby in 10 blankets and go to bed trashed.

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (13-09-2016),binnielici  (14-09-2016),BornToBe  (14-09-2016),DT75  (13-09-2016),Elijahs Mum  (13-09-2016),HollyGolightly81  (13-09-2016),JR03  (13-09-2016),MissMuppet  (13-09-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (13-09-2016),Tinkers  (13-09-2016),Tiny Dancer  (13-09-2016),twinklify  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would hazard a guess that there's more to this story than just co-sleeping, I'd be interested to know the condition of the mother when the babies were found.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Full House  (13-09-2016),VicPark  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That article is terrible!

So the 1st died from sleeping on a couch. The 2nd was in bed with her and a 3yo (which is not a safe cosleeping practice).

I dislike the 'one in eight mothers commit that act' - like cosleeping is some kind of illegal/wrong activity.

I cosleep - safely. No pillows near bub. No doona. No DS. Currently it is me and DD so loads of room anyway.

Let the judgement of internet judges begin (I am not talking about BH btw - I have found BH to be accepting of safe cosleeping).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yep safe co sleeping here too. I did so with all 3 but my first two I cut much shorter as I took smoking back up. This time I'm still smoke free and will continue to be so

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is a horrid article and typical of the "co-sleeping is so wrong" brigade.

The first poor child died as a result of unsafe practices, and not co-sleeping.
    The second was unsafe co-sleeping. Not co-sleeping. But UNSAFE co-sleeping.

I am against co-sleeping, but even I can see that this is completely unfair to those who practice safe co-sleeping guidelines.

"The act"... not even touching that one.

Awful.

Those poor babies. And her other poor children! If she is making decisions like this, how safe are they?!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

It's a pretty sensationalized article. I googled her and she's being charged with third degree murder, involuntary manslaughter and endangering the welfare of a child. So not murder in the sense that it was planned, all charges are more extensions of punishment for poor judgement leading to an accident. I imagine the involuntary manslaughter or child endangerment charge will stick.

All that said. The article is ridiculous and trying to insight fear and judgement. Imagine if she had been pointed towards safe cosleeping guidelines rather than just telling her not to sleep with the baby.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Full House  (13-09-2016),twinklify  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

How awful for those poor children

Like all of you above, the article annoys the hell out of me. I'm another safe co-sleeper. We didn't co-sleep all the time but it happened a lot, especially when I had to breast feed at night and was too tired to sit up in a chair. I would have lost my sanity if I wasn't able to lay in bed to feed Bub. He and I would fall asleep and some time later, DH would move him to the bassinet or cot.

This fear mongering does more harm than good.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't co sleep with my first DS as he was a breeze to settle day and night but second DS is different. His first big sleep of the night is easy to settle but if he wakes during the night he is a lot harder to settle so co-sleeping takes place, he is on the middle wrapped tightly and on top of the quilt then with his own blankie on him. During the day he hates to sleep full stop unless it's quick 10 min nap in my arms

I've read the article and the first baby was on the couch and she forgot that he was there as she was off texting her friends. Who forgets their child sleeping to start with

With baby no 2 she was given videos and documentation of how to co-sleep correctly but didn't abide by how to do this, she was even made to sign forms of contracts. I think it also says that she knows best how to co-sleep