+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamatotwo View Post
    "The reintroduction of the baby bonus had reportedly been a major part of the terms set out by the Nationals when striking a new Coalition agreement with the Liberal Party in September. Fairfax reported at least one Nationals MP had been surprised that the baby bonus had been scrapped in the bill."
    http://m.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/...mnibus-saving/

This makes it sounds like that the baby bonus they're speaking of being cut hadn't actually been implemented yet? So maybe they aren't referring to the newborn supplement?
    The more reading I do, the more I am wondering if it's a payment they hasn't been implemented yet as well.

There seems to be an awful lot of confusion about it

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Thescientist For This Useful Post:

mamatotwo  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Watching the 7.30 report and it seems like it was a lib/nat promise of additional baby bonus. So the NB supplement etc is all good.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

mamatotwo  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That reads to me like they were going to reintroduce the baby bonus that was scrapped a few years ago, but have now decided not to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Phew!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I so hope so!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm also trying to figure out what's going on. I didn't realise there were any other payments available other than PPL.

Turns out you can only have the newborn supplement if you aren't claiming the PPL anyway so we will just go with PPL because the other seems to only be about $500 anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TortoiseNotTheHare View Post
    I'm also trying to figure out what's going on. I didn't realise there were any other payments available other than PPL.

Turns out you can only have the newborn supplement if you aren't claiming the PPL anyway so we will just go with PPL because the other seems to only be about $500 anyway.
    You can also get part A of the family tax benefit while on PPL... But not part B. I didn't know this. Just put in a claim and they back payed. Sorry if I'm derailing!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TandR For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (13-09-2016),TortoiseNotTheHare  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another article said this

"The baby bonus payment, which formed a key element of the Coalition power-sharing agreement struck by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Nationals leader Barnaby Joyce in September 2015, would have given eligible families with a youngest child under one year an extra $1000 a year through an increase to their Family Tax Benefit part B payment."

The current Newborn upfront payment is just over $500 and the Newborn Supplement is up to just over $1500, so they're not talking about these amounts. You can't get either of those payments if you are claiming PPL regardless.

So it does look like they just intended to introduce an extra $1000, called a baby bonus, to be added to what you'd already get in FTB, but they've scrapped the idea. It looks like the only payment they've really reduced is any amount of FTB part A if you earn over $80k (whereas before it just reduced significantly and then stopped altogether when you earned $100k)

That's how the articles read to me anyway!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

mamatotwo  (14-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's interesting... I just did a calculator to see what we would be able to claim on the family tax benefits (A) and it says $0. Not sure if I'm just looking at the wrong thing. I don't know why I find this so complicated. Normally I'm so switched on with this sort of thing but I just can't seem to get my head around what our entitlements are.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TortoiseNotTheHare For This Useful Post:

Kazzy36  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tortise - we are entitled to no payments from centrelink other than the paid parenting leave

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazzy36 For This Useful Post:

TortoiseNotTheHare  (14-09-2016)