+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Work and govt maternity leave

Hi, I am very confused! I am eligible for maternity leave and with my organization it is 10 weeks full pay or 20 weeks half pay. My manager has also said up to 12 months (after mat leave then unpaid). Is it right that you also receive an allowance from the government after the company has finished paying their maternity leave? If so, what is this called?
    Thank you! Feeling very overwhelmed and just trying to get a straight answer...Google is not my friend

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Paid parental leave. You apply for it through mygov website. I'll find a link for you

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are awesome! So I apply for that and it gets paid once my maternity leave is up? I thought that might be the one but then there is newborn allowance which got me confused. Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by givingitago85 View Post
    You are awesome! So I apply for that and it gets paid once my maternity leave is up? I thought that might be the one but then there is newborn allowance which got me confused. Thank you so much!
    Newborn allowance may be the old baby bonus (so for SAHP).

You can actually apply when pregnant. Then finish it off once bubs is born (there is a form the hospital completes and this is uploaded for proof of birth).

You can choose when to start payments. Although I *think* it may start after all your maternity leave through work is paid (there are questions etc so it will run you through it) You can nominate for it to be paid through your workplace (government gives the money to your workplace - they then then pay you according to your payroll).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perfect, thank you. I will have a look over it tonight and get everything I need ready.
    I did think I may only be eligible for my work mat leave so this is fantastic news, thank you for helping me out

7. The Following User Says Thank You to givingitago85 For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Work and govt maternity leave

Yes definitely complete it in advance otherwise it can take weeks to process after the birth.

Whilst you do have an option on the form whether you want the ppl to come from centrelink or your employer it actually goes through your employer regardless if your currently employed- it does make it easier as you only need your work group certificate at tax time.

Yep you can nominate when payments start so I just calculated when my work paid mat leave would run out and started it from then.

Congrats!

And don't forget at tax time to also complete a form for family assistance -you may be entitled to something even if you think you aren't! I had no idea and missed out on THOUSANDS in the first financial year with my dd1 as I only found out about it when she was 18 months lol.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 13-09-2016 at 15:15.