Weaning the dummy - thoughts and ideas please | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weaning the dummy - thoughts and ideas please

My LO is almost 4 months old (3 corrected) and is generally a pretty good sleeper.

She does 9 to 11hrs overnight with maybe one or two stirs for her dummy sometimes at around 6am (which is ok as she is in our room so easy enough to pop it in) she sleeps most of the night without her dummy as it generally falls out when she falls asleep.

Day naps are similar, she is up 1-1.5hrs pending on how she is, when I see her tired cues I put her down. She is able to put herself to sleep within 5-15 mins, of which she does have her dummy for that as well.

I would love for her to not need / want her dummy as there will be a point where she will sleep with her arms out and I am sure that will cause havoc with knocking the dummy out.

Any tips on how to go about weaning her off?
    Any other bubs using their dummy and don't find it to be an issue?

Love to get some thoughts on keeping vs weaning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was like this. Often the dummy would be out before I'd even fully left the room. One night I just decided not to give it to him and see how he went. He was fine. Fairly sure I never gave it to him again for sleeps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Dust For This Useful Post:

lauzie  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think with dummies it's a case of every mum you ask will have a different idea of what is best. I personally would try to swap it out for a comforter. For me personally I find a comforter offers some help and comfort to baby at bedtime but doesn't have the possibility of disrupting sleep by falling out. Also I am happy for my kids to use a comforter for as long as they needed or wanted but I would not want them using a dummy past baby or toddlerhood. I also think if you want to wean from it then now could be a good time. Once bub is a bit older they might really notice and I would find it hard to not give it back if my kids cried hard asking for it. Good luck with doing whatever works for you! X

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

lauzie  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Weaning the dummy - thoughts and ideas please

My advice is if it ain't broke don't fix it!

I'll think you'll find if you hit the four month regression that then would be the ideal time to take it away. Otherwise- enjoy the sleep!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 13-09-2016 at 17:41.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

lauzie  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's up to you if you want your child to have one or not but both of my kids have kept theirs and been fine with it for sleeping as they have been able to put it back in themselves from about 6 months. My DD still has hers, it's only for sleep so I don't mind, I'm not in a hurry for her to give it up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

lauzie  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone
    At the moment I don't mind and am enjoying the long stretch of sleep and how she seems to settle and have a pretty positive association with sleep at the moment.

I think I will leave it for now, at least get through the crazy 4month regression (eeeek not looking forward to that) and then try wean after that. Will depend on how she goes once her arms are out and flapping about haha