+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,055
    Thanks
    2,306
    Thanked
    1,387
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    Being on a salary, I don't get paid overtime either, so probably why no leave loading
    Eh me too. Work a 60 hr week and get paid for 38 hr. Pretty standard in my industry 🙄

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,055
    Thanks
    2,306
    Thanked
    1,387
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    Being on a salary, I don't get paid overtime either, so probably why no leave loading
    Eh me too. Work a 60 hr week and get paid for 38 hr. Pretty standard in my industry 🙄

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,086
    Thanks
    1,285
    Thanked
    1,181
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Pay discrepancy - unfair?

    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    not harsh at all witherwings! I respect your input as a fellow accountant, so thanks for taking the time out to respond.

    I'm already CA qualified (other bloke is CPA) and I'm not looking to do any further study.

    I think I'll just have to suck this one up and get over it.

    thanks all for replying, I appreciate the frank responses and feel much better about this issue.
    Honestly, if you feel you are better at your job and you're already qualified, I would seriously consider looking into public practice certificate or at the very least registering as a tax agent and start building up your own client base. You could start with your friends and relatives and go from there. I did this myself about 5 years ago and my client base grew exponentially - friends with business started sending their employees my way, other people were referred to me through friends of friends... So as well as being a practice manager in my family accounting firm and earning a salary, I now have my own firm, and have doubled my income. If you believe you're capable, just go for it. Getting a PPC takes less than a year.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

    delirium  (13-09-2016),turquoisecoast  (13-09-2016)

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6,869
    Thanks
    4,776
    Thanked
    4,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Honestly, if you feel you are better at your job and you're already qualified, I would seriously consider looking into public practice certificate or at the very least registering as a tax agent and start building up your own client base. You could start with your friends and relatives and go from there. I did this myself about 5 years ago and my client base grew exponentially - friends with business started sending their employees my way, other people were referred to me through friends of friends... So as well as being a practice manager in my family accounting firm and earning a salary, I now have my own firm, and have doubled my income. If you believe you're capable, just go for it. Getting a PPC takes less than a year.
    thanks. tbh I don't think I want to do this kind of work forever. which really just underscores I guess how silly my prior complaining was.

    after 10 years in tax I am ready to move on. ideally I'd like to go do a finance role within a company, preferably something within the creative field.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

    witherwings  (13-09-2016)

  7. #45
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sutherland Shire Sydney NSW
    Posts
    1,943
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked
    569
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Pay discrepancy - unfair?

    I am also a CA and am surprised you can't work this out yourself if you are also a CA...

    Let's say you both work 20 hours per week for ease of calculating. Your hourly rate is $39 (rounded) and his hourly rate is $50. He has to pay his super out of the $50 so we need to compare with your rate incl super.

    Your rate inc super is $42.70.

    Annually ex adj for leave for you - $44,408
    For him - $52,000

    Add on your extra 4 weeks annual leave and two weeks sick leave and you are at an annual amount of $49,532

    This is also assuming his rate is $50 ex gst per hour and not $50 inc gst which would make you better off.

    I have done these calcs on my phone so could be off a tad but I hope this helps you see you aren't that much worse off..
    Last edited by nattie84; 14-09-2016 at 19:46.

  8. #46
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,844
    Thanks
    2,908
    Thanked
    1,627
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nattie84 View Post
    I am also a CA and am surprised you can't work this out yourself if you are also a CA...

    Let's say you both work 20 hours per week for ease of calculating. Your hourly rate is $39 (rounded) and his hourly rate is $50. He has to pay his super out of the $50 so we need to compare with your rate incl super.

    Your rate inc super is $42.70.

    Annually ex adj for leave for you - $44,408
    For him - $52,000

    Add on your extra 4 weeks annual leave and two weeks sick leave and you are at an annual amount of $49,532

    This is also assuming his rate is $50 ex gst per hour and not $50 inc gst which would make you better off.

    I have done these calcs on my phone so could be off a tad but I hope this helps you see you aren't that much worse off..
    I think she said he's now a casual employee earning $50 per hour. So no GST and his super would be on top of this

  9. #47
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sutherland Shire Sydney NSW
    Posts
    1,943
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked
    569
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    I think she said he's now a casual employee earning $50 per hour. So no GST and his super would be on top of this
    Ah sorry missed that part..

  10. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6,869
    Thanks
    4,776
    Thanked
    4,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nattie84 View Post
    I am also a CA and am surprised you can't work this out yourself if you are also a CA...

    Let's say you both work 20 hours per week for ease of calculating. Your hourly rate is $39 (rounded) and his hourly rate is $50. He has to pay his super out of the $50 so we need to compare with your rate incl super.

    Your rate inc super is $42.70.

    Annually ex adj for leave for you - $44,408
    For him - $52,000

    Add on your extra 4 weeks annual leave and two weeks sick leave and you are at an annual amount of $49,532

    This is also assuming his rate is $50 ex gst per hour and not $50 inc gst which would make you better off.

    I have done these calcs on my phone so could be off a tad but I hope this helps you see you aren't that much worse off..
    perhaps if you'd read my post properly you wouldn't mouth off and be so rude?

  11. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks
    520
    Thanked
    713
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    IMG_1473850915.541551.jpg
    Couldn't help myself...

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (15-09-2016),Wise Enough  (14-09-2016),witherwings  (14-09-2016)

  13. #50
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sutherland Shire Sydney NSW
    Posts
    1,943
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked
    569
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Pay discrepancy - unfair?

    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    perhaps if you'd read my post properly you wouldn't mouth off and be so rude?
    You can still use the same principle I provided and calculate the difference as you have leave and he doesn't... Sorry for trying to help... Guess next time I shouldn't help as its rude..
    Last edited by nattie84; 14-09-2016 at 21:06.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Unfair work conditions WWYD?
    By sunnygirl79 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 18-04-2016, 12:53
  2. Due Date Discrepancy
    By Leettieb in forum Third Trimester Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 25-09-2015, 13:30
  3. Due Date Discrepancy
    By Leettieb in forum Third Trimester Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 23-09-2015, 21:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Baby Monitors
Looking to buy a baby monitor? :: Read viewer reviews of baby monitors BEFORE you buy :: Buy at a local or online Baby Nursery Shop
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!