+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    thanks but I can assure you I'm more thorough.

I actually don't believe the difference in our pays has much bearing on performance.
    I believe you - just saying staff rarely do believe it's about performance even though a chunk of the time it is.

Do you have insight into the other dudes performance agreement/duties/additional projects? Do you have insight into the feedback he has received?

If he is not up to par maybe the management have a plan to deal with it that you are not aware of. Management might not have felt they could drop his pay when they took over. However maybe it's written into his performance agreement that he needs to meet XYZ goals or his rate will go down. Maybe they want your pay to be more equal, they just can't do it right away without attracting a lawsuit.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (12-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not paid under an award. I'm an accountant, my entitlements are as per my employment contract, which basically uses the NES guidelines. I'm 99.9% certain annual leave loading doesn't apply to me.
    I'm a salaried employee and don't get leave loading

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (12-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I believe you - just saying staff rarely do believe it's about performance even though a chunk of the time it is.

Do you have insight into the other dudes performance agreement/duties/additional projects? Do you have insight into the feedback he has received?

If he is not up to par maybe the management have a plan to deal with it that you are not aware of. Management might not have felt they could drop his pay when they took over. However maybe it's written into his performance agreement that he needs to meet XYZ goals or his rate will go down. Maybe they want your pay to be more equal, they just can't do it right away without attracting a lawsuit.
    it's a small firm, we just work on client work. it's pretty transparent, like nobody gets extra projects or the juicy work. in fact when I came on board 4 years ago my boss took a huge client off this other dude and gave it to me. I was only working on it temporarily while he was off on holidays but he came back and never got the client back lol. it became my baby, I fixed all the errors and keep it like a well oiled machine now. it's stuff like this that makes me think it's not performance related.

look who knows. end of the day, it is what it is. I'm probably just sick and feeling sorry for myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pay discrepancy - unfair?

If you are paid a salary and not pro rata then sometimes leave loading is incorporated into your base rate and you don't get it when you take annual leave, this is how my husbands company works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    I'm a salaried employee and don't get leave loading
    I don't think it's that common. It's to compensate for not getting paid overtime when on leave to try to make ones leave pay the same as their 'normal' pay. If you don't do a lot of overtime to start with its a non-issue.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (13-09-2016),turquoisecoast  (12-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A bit of backstory: I was part of a small accounting practice that was recently sold while I was on mat leave (old boss retired). the new boss has purchased the old client fee base and agreed to take on myself and the other accountant. so I have returned from mat leave and am working for the new boss. so far so good.

at the old practice, the other guy used to work on a contractor basis...he'd invoice the boss for hours worked each week. obviously as a contractor, he was not entitled to annual leave, sick leave etc. his hourly rate was about $60 per hour. he had been working under this arrangement for about 12 years with our previous boss.

I came on 4 years ago as a salaried employee. my salary was quite a bit less than what this other bloke was invoicing but whatever, he'd been there much longer and was invoicing on an hourly basis.

under the new boss, we've both come across as salaried employees. him on a casual basis and his hourly rate is $50. I'm permanent part time and my hourly rate is considerably less. I get that the trade off for getting employee entitlements is a lower salary, but this feels unfair.

I feel as though the new guy has taken us on both as new employees to his practice yet chosen to reflect our old pay levels. the business cards of this other guy and me both have the same job title. yet he is receiving disproportionately more money.

he's a fair bit older than me but I don't feel like he's that much better. in fact I feel I do a better job.

am I being unfairly paid here? or am I just feeling hard done by? I've complained about this to dh on a number of occasions and he seems to think it's justified. all I see is yet another pay discrepancy between a male and a female for doing exactly the same job.

I'm so over it!
    I haven't read the other replies so this might have already been said, but I don't think this is a case of gender bias. I think he is entitled to a a better salary package purely based on the fact that he has been there for 12 years and you for only 4.

Even if you feel you do a better job, and maybe you do, the new boss doesn't know that. He can only go by the info he is provided which is that the other accountant has been there 3 times as long, even if you do the same role. There's a certain privilege that comes with that level of loyalty to a business.

I hope I don't come across as harsh here, this is purely from the perspective of someone who actually runs an accounting practice and employs people just like you.

I think if you want a higher pay, you will either have to take on new responsibilities, add new qualifications to your resume (if possible), or buy into the business or another business.

I know you have a small Bub but maybe you could start working toward getting a public practice certificate now that you have some good years of experience under your belt, and eventually run your own firm? Your charge out rate working for yourself will be substantially higher than this guy who has been slogging it out in the same company for over a decade and only getting $50 p/h.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    not harsh at all witherwings! I respect your input as a fellow accountant, so thanks for taking the time out to respond.

I'm already CA qualified (other bloke is CPA) and I'm not looking to do any further study.

I think I'll just have to suck this one up and get over it.

thanks all for replying, I appreciate the frank responses and feel much better about this issue.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (15-09-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (13-09-2016),witherwings  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Can I just also add from my own experiences it's always hard going back after maternity leave. The landscape changes even if you're only off for a few months. Admittedly I took longer but it took me several months to feel comfortable. After my 2nd child when I returned a complete dip stick had been hired and I watched him climb ahead of me even tho I was 100 x better than him at being a lawyer.

These issues eat away at you unless you either make your peace or leave. In the end I couldn't and I left.

It was never enough for me that the job was flexible etc. The different treatment killed it for me.

Not saying this is how it will be for you but it is a transition after maternity leave from full time to part time and it takes a while. I hope you do feel better about it.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (13-09-2016),Wise Enough  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I don't think it's that common. It's to compensate for not getting paid overtime when on leave to try to make ones leave pay the same as their 'normal' pay. If you don't do a lot of overtime to start with its a non-issue.
    Being on a salary, I don't get paid overtime either, so probably why no leave loading

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never got overtime in any of my accountant jobs. in fact it's expected you work overtime.

one bonus of this new boss is he doesn't do timesheets. so I can get through the day without notating how I spend every 6 minutes of my time

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast