+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default WDYT - Pregnant women who stop smoking offered gift vouchers

So, what do you think about pregnant women being offered gift vouchers to stop smoking?

Full article: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-1...regnan/7831562

For the non-clickers:

"A Launceston-based study is using vouchers from a department store as an incentive for women to quit smoking during pregnancy.

Tasmania has the second highest rate in the nation of women smoking while they are pregnant.

About one in six Tasmanian women smoke while pregnant, and for women under 25 the figure rises to one in three.

A University of Tasmania study is now offering monthly $50 gift vouchers to expectant mothers to stop smoking.

Each participant receives the voucher for a department store after they have taken a simple test to determine if they have remained smoke-free for that period.

Dr Mai Frandsen is a research fellow with the Cancer Council of Tasmania and the University of Tasmania, and she said the premise of the research raised tricky questions.

"It's a health psychology question," Dr Frandsen said.

"We all know that we should exercise, we all know that we shouldn't have too many beers, we all know that sitting in front of the television for too long is bad for us, but information isn't enough."

Dr Frandesn's brief and passion was to try and reduce the rates of smoking in pregnancy, and she said the first step in wanting to quit is quite often already present in pregnant women.

"The tricky thing about wanting to quit while pregnant is that a lot of the treatments that are available for people who aren't pregnant and want to quit," Dr Frandsen said.

"Unfortunately even though they're extra motivated to quit, these women don't have as many strategies or don't know that they have as many strategies for actually doing so."
    Dr Fransden said midwives and general practitioners who often have contact with pregnant women do the best they can to convey the dangers of smoking while pregnant, but they are often racing the clock.

Taking part in the study is Angela (not her real name) and she was under the impression that quitting smoking would be relatively straight forward.

"I always thought if I was pregnant it'd be easy, I'd quit straight away no problem but it's actually harder than first thought," she said.

While Angela said she did not take part in the study purely for the money, it had been an incentive to help her give up cigarettes.

"I would have been able to do it because I cut down a lot when I found out I was pregnant but I think this made me quit a lot sooner than what I think I would have on my own," Angela said.

Dr Frandsen said participants were put through a rigorous process to make sure they were a suitable candidate for the study and it was not going to impact on their relationship.

"Obviously women have to consent to be part of this so they know full well what they're going in for," Dr Frandsen said.

"Some of the concerns were that the women would be coerced into doing the study because of the financial incentive involved."
    Is there a stigma attached to smoking while pregnant?

Dr Frandsen said she thought there was still a massive stigma attached to smoking during pregnancy.

"Even the women who do admit that they smoke during their antenatal appointments with their midwives, there are still quite a number who don't admit to it," she said.

Midwife Susan Gee said women often feel pressured by the public once becoming pregnant.

"We feel suddenly that we can comment on all aspects of this woman's life because she's carrying a baby," Ms Gee said.

"I think it's probably the fact that the baby doesn't have a choice and perhaps people are advocating for the baby."

Dr Frandsen said she been criticised in the past over the fact the study pays women to quit smoking, a view that she said was a "naive" way of looking at it.

"Whatever we are doing isn't working. We still have the second highest rates of smoking in the country and the state and national aim is to get that down," she said.

The vouchers used in the study were paid for through a grant to the University of Tasmania.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Anything that encourages people to stop smoking, particularly pregnant women, I think is good. But I'm not sure $50 would be much of an incentive. If it works, great.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-09-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Not sure how successful it would be..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a long term solution, just a temporary bandaid

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I was lucky enough to be able to quit cold turkey as soon as I found out I was pregnant. But I do understand how difficult it is to stop, and the effect that the shame spiral would have on a pregnant woman.

I would prefer the money to be offered to women to subsidise quit smoking aids. They are really expensive!

I also think work/money should be put into 'reducing' the stigma of smoking when pregnant so that women will feel OK to be honest about their habits and seek help. I am not suggesting we should pretend that it's fine to do it, but rather acknowledge that some women do, and find a way to help them.

People are very judgey of these women (and I do understand why), but I think the number of women that smoke while pregnant who don't feel like cr@p about it would be very low indeed. Feeling shame/being shamed by others isn't going to help someone break an addiction. They need help and positive support, especially with such high stakes as this.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (11-09-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not fair for those who don't smoke while pregnant anyway. What do those women get?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kim85 For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    Not fair for those who don't smoke while pregnant anyway. What do those women get?
    Why does it have to be fair?

I think that anything that helps women to stop smoking while pregnant is a good thing. I'm not convinced that this would work though. Addiction is a powerful thing.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (11-09-2016),Gentoo  (11-09-2016),Wise Enough  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default WDYT - Pregnant women who stop smoking offered gift vouchers

As a smoker I find it insulting.

I desperately wanted to quit for the health and well being for my baby.

I failed.

It implies that women can be more motivated by a gift voucher instead.

I think it won't make a difference to the actual quit rate. A bloody $50 voucher- yay good for you, you must be a poor bogan- is insulting and a further kick in the pants for those who are failing to quit.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 11-09-2016 at 15:05.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (11-09-2016),Hasselhoff  (11-09-2016),kim85  (11-09-2016),TheGooch  (11-09-2016),Wise Enough  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was just showing that I think it's a load of Cr.ap tbh and to me it's like rewarding them for being smokers in first place so what about a reward for those who didn't to start with and those trying to be healthy. I agree with what little miss sunshine said too

Thanks
    Reviews
    If a measly $50 a month is enough to get you to quit then you should be able to quit for your baby. I doubt something like that would work. It implies that quitting is easy, but it's bloody hard. I had my last cigarette the night before my FET and haven't picked one up since.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BB77 For This Useful Post:

kim85  (11-09-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (11-09-2016)