+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    @SuperGranny - thanks i have started using that approach lately. I try for a bit then give up and try later. I used to stress about getting her right to nap on the two hours, but now I more wait for her to start getting shouty and eye rubbing (only cues I seem to get).

@VicPark - Thanks. I've try for around 2 hours between nap, more or less depending on her mood. I try to relax her with white noise, cuddle and dummy then I normally have to end up rocking her since it doesn't relax her enough. Day time naps I just leave her in the clothes she is wearing as it is getting pretty warm in qld now (short sleeve onesie). Think room temperature is around 24 during the day. Is there a website or guide with suggestions on what they should wear at different temperatures?

Thanks @sunnygirl79. We have a pretty set routine at night time and usually isn't too bad to get her to nod off, it is more the day time ones that take more work. I think we do have an active and social bub as she absolutely refuses to dose off in the pram (gets super cranky) so I have to take my carrier everywhere just in case. Lol. I will just suck it up and get over it, just find it tough when you hear alot of people say their bubs are sleeping through and are easy to put to sleep... but I know a few of them have done sleep training and I much prefer a gentler approach.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cupcake86 View Post
    Thanks @sunnygirl79. We have a pretty set routine at night time and usually isn't too bad to get her to nod off, it is more the day time ones that take more work. I think we do have an active and social bub as she absolutely refuses to dose off in the pram (gets super cranky) so I have to take my carrier everywhere just in case. Lol. I will just suck it up and get over it, just find it tough when you hear alot of people say their bubs are sleeping through and are easy to put to sleep... but I know a few of them have done sleep training and I much prefer a gentler approach.
    I know it's tough but try not to compare to others - a lot of the time they're not telling the whole truth anyway - and just because their Bub is sleeping through this week/month, it could be very different next month...

Day sleeps are hard around this age but it does get easier. Just ensure you're putting Bub down early enough, the tired window can be very short.

Hugs - it's hard when they won't sleep in the pram, my DS1 was like that. DS2 (6 mths) will sleep in the pram but not any longer than 30-40 mins.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

cupcake86  (14-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Settling Five Month Old

@SuperGranny - thanks i have started using that approach lately. I try for a bit then give up and try later. I used to stress about getting her right to nap on the two hours, but now I more wait for her to start getting shouty and eye rubbing (only cues I seem to get).

@VicPark - Thanks. I've try for around 2 hours between nap, more or less depending on her mood. I try to relax her with white noise, cuddle and dummy then I normally have to end up rocking her since it doesn't relax her enough. Day time naps I just leave her in the clothes she is wearing as it is getting pretty warm in qld now (short sleeve onesie). Think room temperature is around 24 during the day. Is there a website or guide with suggestions on what they should wear at different temperatures?

If you are not 100% sure of the room temp then perhaps get a gro-egg or other room thermometer. Knowing the temp and getting bedding right is a critical part of helping bub to sleep through. At 24 degrees I would still be at least using a light sleeping bag/swaddle/blanket. According to the gro-bag web site at 24 degrees you're looking at a short sleeve onsie and 0.5 tog bag. Some babies may also need a sheet etc to tuck them in
    http://gro.co.uk/what-to-wear/#EN

The best way to encourage bub to sleep through and not wake early/cat nap is to 1) time the naps appropriately and 2) to ensure the sleep environment stays the same from when bub falls asleep until you want bub to wake. If anything changes (dummy falls out, room gets colder, music stops, in cot instead of mums arms, no longer being patted, no longer with a bottle or boob) then bub will stir between cycles and think "wtf! Where is my dummy! Why am I in the cot when I fell asleep in mums arms!"
    - for this reason many parents chose to use sleep aids that don't require adult intervention to maintain (cloth comforters). If you have a cloth comforter use it at every sleep time (regardless of whether bub is in the car/pram/cot). Only use it at sleep time. This might not be something you want to hear however I would recommend not using a dummy, rocking bub to sleep etc - notorious causes of disrupted sleep.

Don't be so quick to knock sleep training. It can be as simple as monitoring room temp and bedding and not using sleep aids that require adult intervention to maintain. It doesn't need to involve controlled crying or anything like that.

Good luck
    Last edited by VicPark; 13-09-2016 at 21:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. Are there any sleep training websites you recommend that have a gentle approach? And hopefully suggestions for weaning off a dummy. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks. Are there any sleep training websites you recommend that have a gentle approach? And hopefully suggestions for weaning off a dummy. :-)
    Www.thesleepstore.com.au has great advice

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

cupcake86  (15-09-2016)