+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    THANK YOU!! I think we all need to stop using both terms. Everyone is sending their child when their eligible to attend.

Sending early would be sending a 3 year old turning 4. Sending them late would be sending them 7 turning 8

None of us are doing that. So yay for everyone!!
    I agree. I don't like the terminology of sending 'late' or 'early'. Where there is a permissible variance each parent is exercising their right to choose so they aren't sending them early or late they are sending them within the permissible parameters.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (11-09-2016),MrsSS  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Sometimes parents make decisions because they learn from their previous kids, new research coming out or because of their parental styles and values.

I've got a June baby who could have started kindy (QLD) this year but as we've moved to the ACT can't start till next year. I'm happy with this as she isn't emotionally ready.

Btwi did start my dd3 on solids at 8 mths. She sailed thru it wonderfully. Best decision I made. But then I'm only her mother ... How could I not know what she needed?
    Fair points. I still think it's a bold call stating with a newborn that you're going to delay solids until 8 months.
    Can I have me some of that crystal ball

Welcome back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Hm I found it interesting, and as a topic I have studied at a tertiary level, this article was in direct contradiction to almost everything that I've read. Funny that the authors talk about 'studies show....' and 'evidence..' and 'multiple studies...', yet at the end of the article, they only have 3 citations - one is an article from 'The Guardian' and the other two are both research studies conducted by the same person a year apart. So hardly a strong argument there. I would be interested to see the original study and it's data from the one person who's research they are citing.
    Yes! This article was linked before in another thread. Interestingly, the guardian article cited spoke about the benefits of brain development of 4 year olds who are with their parents *at home* playing, not in a formal school setting learning. Also, if you look at the studies and the man who conducted them, they are discussing children who start school after already turning 6, not 5 year olds.

I also found it interesting that it discussed studies but no links to said studies???

Let's just have a think again about all the other countries that rank ABOVE Australia in educational outcomes all have a starting age of AT LEAST 6, some 7 and even 8. This is including Asian countries!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    THANK YOU!! I think we all need to stop using both terms. Everyone is sending their child when their eligible to attend.

Sending early would be sending a 3 year old turning 4. Sending them late would be sending them 7 turning 8

None of us are doing that. So yay for everyone!!
    Sending children at 3 years old or at 7 or 8 is against the law.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Kinder program in childcare if funding isn't approved?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Let's just have a think again about all the other countries that rank ABOVE Australia in educational outcomes all have a starting age of AT LEAST 6, some 7 and even 8. This is including Asian countries!
    That disparity could be due to starting age or it could be due to something totally different like the various Departments screwing up programming and the government being Scroogey with the education budget. Or funding for a more robust early education program (preschool) in the 'Asian' and other high performing countries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Sending children at 3 years old or at 7 or 8 is against the law.
    Exactly my point. Therefore if you're sending at 4 turning 5 you aren't sending them 'early', likewise if you are sending them 5 turning 6, you aren't sending them 'late' either.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (11-09-2016),gingermillie  (11-09-2016),VicPark  (12-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    That disparity could be due to starting age or it could be due to something totally different like the various Departments screwing up programming and the government being Scroogey with the education budget. Or funding for a more robust early education program (preschool) in the 'Asian' and other high performing countries.
    Many things would be a factor but you can't dismiss the importance of starting age!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Yes! This article was linked before in another thread. Interestingly, the guardian article cited spoke about the benefits of brain development of 4 year olds who are with their parents *at home* playing, not in a formal school setting learning. Also, if you look at the studies and the man who conducted them, they are discussing children who start school after already turning 6, not 5 year olds.

I also found it interesting that it discussed studies but no links to said studies???

What are these educational outcomes? I'm not questioning that Australia is behind, however I'm sure it's an amalgamation of A LOT of factors over and above starting age that has led to us being behind the 8 ball

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Fair points. I still think it's a bold call stating with a newborn that you're going to delay solids until 8 months.
    Can I have me some of that crystal ball

Welcome back.
    I think though, that many decisions as parents are made bc of our philosophies. With my first child I delayed solids bc that was the guidelines back then. With my boys I introduced at 4 months bc I felt given the info that had emerged since my first that delaying wasn't what was best for us.

You sleep train all your children bc that's your belief system about sleep. I co sleep and don't sleep train as it goes against mine.

While I acknowledge kids are different I also feel as humans we tend to go with what works and what feels right. I feel turning 5 is too young given the high expectations in that first year of school. The evidence shows older starting kids perform better and cope better. Thus why I would say 90% DS2 will go turning 6 not 5 even though he's still little.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (12-09-2016),cheeeeesecake  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Kinder program in childcare if funding isn't approved?

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think though, that many decisions as parents are made bc of our philosophies. With my first child I delayed solids bc that was the guidelines back then. With my boys I introduced at 4 months bc I felt given the info that had emerged since my first that delaying wasn't what was best for us.

You sleep train all your children bc that's your belief system about sleep. I co sleep and don't sleep train as it goes against mine.

While I acknowledge kids are different I also feel as humans we tend to go with what works and what feels right. I feel turning 5 is too young given the high expectations in that first year of school. The evidence shows older starting kids perform better and cope better. Thus why I would say 90% DS2 will go turning 6 not 5 even though he's still little.
    I agree, what *if though* he showed signs of being ready before that age, would you ignore those signs or go with your philosophy no matter what?

Also you've hit the nail on the head when you said we all tend to do what feels right at the time, there are some kids who are ready at 4 turning 5 and others who aren't.

I did have some initial concerns about DD but sent her to kindy at 3 turning 4 (after 1 month of starting) because I
    didn't want to miss the chance of sending her as soon as the rules allowed it, knowing I could hold her back if need be. But after her first term her kindy told us she was doing really well and obviously wasn't ready for school yet, but showed she was ready for kindy and had a few fine motor and gross motor things to work on, but now they're really happy with how far she has come with all of that, that they think she is absolutely ready.

I started off going with my philosophy of sending her when she was first eligible (because why not? I didn't see any real reasons for me not to other than her individual 'readiness', but knowing at the time I went in with an open mind that if she wasn't ready then she could go to kindy again next year.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (12-09-2016)