Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I realised it wasnt clear, so also did a ninja edit
    i could have sworn I read something different!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Very interesting. I've also read something similar about older peers being less motivated in high school.
    That's interesting, I'm Early Childhood trained, but have never in my years of education read any research that suggests this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's interesting, I'm Early Childhood trained, but have never in my years of education read any research that suggests this.
    http://www.safeschoolshub.edu.au/docs/default-source/Parents-files/when_should_your_child_start_school.doc

My sons a Feb baby and I'm still confused though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    So you can only send them turning 5 and not 6? I don't know the WA system. If you can send them 6, then sending them at 6 is sending them when they are expected to as well? In NSW those born Jan- July can be sent turning 5 or 6. Some choose to send them at 4.5, some at 5.5. Both are within the guidelines and are left up to parents.

I don't see it as 'holding them back'. I see it as exercising the movement I have to send them at 5 or 6 and deciding 6. You exercised your judgment to send at 5. Every teacher I've discussed the topic with, both personally for my kids and professionally as a pre service teacher, has clearly said they support later starts.

Only on BH, where parents who make a decision which falls into line with research all over the world are criticised lol
    Exactly you don't know the WA system. You don't see it as holding them back where you are and I'm not sending them too early where I am so what is your issue exactly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    http://www.safeschoolshub.edu.au/docs/default-source/Parents-files/when_should_your_child_start_school.doc

My sons a Feb baby and I'm still confused though!
    Hm I found it interesting, and as a topic I have studied at a tertiary level, this article was in direct contradiction to almost everything that I've read. Funny that the authors talk about 'studies show....' and 'evidence..' and 'multiple studies...', yet at the end of the article, they only have 3 citations - one is an article from 'The Guardian' 😂 and the other two are both research studies conducted by the same person a year apart. So hardly a strong argument there. I would be interested to see the original study and it's data from the one person who's research they are citing.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (12-09-2016),BornToBe  (12-09-2016),gingermillie  (11-09-2016),lilypily  (12-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Kinder program in childcare if funding isn't approved?

Thought twice about this one.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 11-09-2016 at 21:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I say it ALL the time on here - legally, in Australia, we are required to send our children to school by the year they turn 6. Whether the parent chooses to send them at 4 turning 5, or 5 turning 6 is up to parent, and usually have an option of either, depending on the cut off date - neither is 'sending them early' or 'holding them back', it is making a valid choice between two options, based on what is best for your child, and hopefully armed with information from preschool teachers.
    THANK YOU!! I think we all need to stop using both terms. Everyone is sending their child when their eligible to attend.

Sending early would be sending a 3 year old turning 4. Sending them late would be sending them 7 turning 8

None of us are doing that. So yay for everyone!!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (11-09-2016),Chippa  (13-09-2016),gingermillie  (11-09-2016),harvs  (11-09-2016),VicPark  (12-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Exactly you don't know the WA system. You don't see it as holding them back where you are and I'm not sending them too early where I am so what is your issue exactly?
    Bc of this comment you made which I originally quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    I'm curious how some parents determine their child isn't ready. And should the parent be able to delay their child starting kindy because of what they think?
    Meaning you are questioning the 'delaying' as you put it and whether parents should be allowed to make that decision. Which I found ironic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    THANK YOU!! I think we all need to stop using both terms. Everyone is sending their child when their eligible to attend.

Sending early would be sending a 3 year old turning 4. Sending them late would be sending them 7 turning 8

None of us are doing that. So yay for everyone!!
    Yeah I do agree here. Which is why I've been going through the long hand of saying turning 5 or 6 rather than early or holding back. In NSW you can send them turning 5 or 6 if they are born July or before. If they are post July they have to start the year turning 6.

There is wiggle room for a reason. I choose to send mine turning 6 bc that fits with my beliefs about education. Others choose 5 for their own reasons as well. Both are within the guidelines.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-09-2016),babyno1onboard  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsboyts View Post
    This isn't entirely correct. A kindy teacher in a long daycare can be the ECT if they have finished a minimum of half their early childhood degree.
    Sorry let me clarify, they can be studying to be an ECT, but they still do prac at a school and are working with children at the same time, so they have hands on experience. Where my children attend they are strict on it being a pathway to prep and having a qualified ECT is the norm.