Kinder program in childcare if funding isn't approved? | Page 24 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My heart hurt reading that about your students Harvs I can imagine how hard it is in a 'advantaged' school who of course have plenty of disadvantage (just as I pointed out low SES schools have lots of middle income too) and no funding.

And this kind of highlights my point. That sending your child to a low SES/ lower performing NAPLAN school can sometimes be advantageous. Bc they get the funding to provide so much more support and diverse learning opportunities..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (17-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    VP I too went to a socially disadvantaged highschool, and upset a few not so long ago by mentioning on here that I wouldn't live in that area anymore as I don't want my kids going to those schools. But if you are deeply invested in finding the right school for your children then ask the school's what their thoughts on naplan are...if you have a school that sees naplan as important and really focus on it, but are below average, then absolutely that would raise concerns. However, maybe they perform badly for reasons that actually appeal to you when you ask.
    I look at my kids primary school, a school that performed below average in NAPLAN but produced great, well rounded happy kids with a decent education (celebrating and encouraging individual strengths and providing support where needed), to now...our great naplan and academic results, but a school so disconnected from everything else that was so great about it that it's not even half the school it used to be...and it really highlights how completely useless the myschools website is.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (17-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The red marks don't actually mean that the school is "below average." It means they scored less on NAPLAN than the other schools. It's quite possible that the students at the school with red lines achieved proficiency in the NAPLAN yet other schools had more children in the higher bands.

I don't know how to be any clearer than this but I'll try one more time ...I don't care about NAPLAN. I know you do but I really don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Kinder program in childcare if funding isn't approved?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't know how to be any clearer than this but I'll try one more time ...I don't care about NAPLAN. I know you do but I really don't.
    You're a naplanaphobic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    The red marks don't actually mean that the school is "below average." It means they scored less on NAPLAN than the other schools. It's quite possible that the students at the school with red lines achieved proficiency in the NAPLAN yet other schools had more children in the higher bands.
    Even if the red schools were proficient, if a majority of kids scored higher than them, that is still below average.

I would concur that below average doesn't always mean not proficient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You're a naplanaphobic!
    My daughter is in year 3 next year and will do NAPLAN for the first time. I'm not opposed to NAPLAN. I'm opposed to myschool. My daughter's and son's reports tell me all I need to know.

I'm sure she will do her best

Here's my son's half yearly report marks for English and maths.

Not bad for a school in the red, eh

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1474107191.674230.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1474107202.363700.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even if the red schools were proficient, if a majority of kids scored higher than them, that is still below average.

I would concur that below average doesn't always mean not proficient.
    Umm, no. Proficient is the expected band of the NAPLAN test for their year. If they are proficient, they are where they should be according to NAPLAN bands. Below average would be the bands below proficient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    My daughter is in year 3 next year and will do NAPLAN for the first time. I'm not opposed to NAPLAN. I'm opposed to myschool. My daughter's and son's reports tell me all I need to know.

Attachment 84389

Attachment 84390
    Well done - You don't need to prove yourself to me though.

you think the sun shines out of your schools butt and there is nothing they could be doing better despite being in the red. You are happy with the school, and that's your prerogative. We keep going around in circles so I might just crack open a bottle of red ( I like red in my glass even though I'm nervous about it in my kids school) and turn elsewhere for now.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kinder program in childcare if funding isn't approved?

Well done - You don't need to prove yourself to me though.

you think the sun shines out of your schools butt and there is nothing they could be doing better despite being in the red. You are happy with the school, and that's your prerogative. We keep going around in circles so I might just crack open a bottle of red ( I like red in my glass even though I'm nervous about it in my kids school) and turn elsewhere for now.
    I'm not trying to prove myself. I'm just demonstrating that children can still do well in what you consider to be "below average" schools. And reiterating what I said earlier...yep my children's school is in the red for NAPLAN. So what. It doesn't mean my children will be.

Enjoy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Attachment 84389

Attachment 84390
    I found my ds's schools results interesting when I got that report. They are in the red too but not surprising probably when you look at the ratio of indigenous. Ds was above average too in all subjects. How he is performing is all that matters to me.