+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Kinder program in childcare if funding isn't approved?

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I am saying that if all else is equal (and the only way I would know that is too research outside of the myschools site) I would choose the school that on average produces better educational outcomes for their kids.
    But how do you find out which school has better educational outcomes? What does that actually mean to you personally? I'm not talking about NAPLAN or myschool here. How would you find that out? I'm genuinely curious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    But you are jumping to conclusions by saying that the school won't be able to meet the needs of your child. I fail to see the connection between the school's high percentage of students with a language background other than English and your assumption that because of this, the school would fail to meet the needs of your child.
    My kid needs a bit of extra attention. I believe if (assuming all schools are equally resourced and have an equal calibre of teachers) he was sent to a school where a chunk of kids were in need of extra attention, he may not get the attention he needs.

A chunk of kids at your school need extra attention - otherwise how do you explain that results for year 3 are in the red?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    But how do you find out which school has better educational outcomes? What does that actually mean to you personally? I'm not talking about NAPLAN or myschool here. How would you find that out? I'm genuinely curious.
    Let me re-phrase. If all else was equal I would choose the school where kids were getting Naplan results in the green and not red. I am sorry if that offends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My kid needs a bit of extra attention. I believe if (assuming all schools are equally resourced and have an equal calibre of teachers) he was sent to a school where a chunk of kids were in need of extra attention, he may not get the attention he needs.

A chunk of kids at your school need extra attention - otherwise how do you explain that results for year 3 are in the red?
    I thought I already explained this...anyway if there are children who need help because they don't speak English, the school is given EXTRA teachers to withdraw or support students in class. I assume your child does not need help with speaking English as an additional language so he wouldn't need the support of the EXTRA teacher that is provided for children who have a language background other than English. And again, James Ruse High and majority of selective high schools would have over 90% of students with language background other than English. The interesting thing is that the parents at my children's school do speak English very well, they just speak their own language at home. And as I already said earlier, being from a language background other than English doesn't mean a child needs help. Often children who are proficient in 2 languages do better than children who only speak one language. My daughter's best friend from school is from Bangladesh. She was just chosen to go into the public speaking finals competing against other schools. Her brother is at the selective high school.

Why is it in the red in year 3? Maybe parents take their children out for extended lengths of time to visit their home country (this is a common occurrence). Next year I will be going to Ireland in the middle of term 2 for an extended family holiday because my husband's brother is getting married. I said earlier that my son had only 15 in his class because 3 of his classmates have gone to their home countries for an extended holiday.

But I don't care about that. The red is not important to me. The red or green or white is totally insignificant.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/sch...-1225864756741

Not sure if you read this before but it discusses cheating in NAPLAN snd schools asking parents to keep their "below average" child at home.

Interesting reading...

http://www.saveourschools.com.au/file_download/40

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let me re-phrase. If all else was equal I would choose the school where kids were getting Naplan results in the green and not red. I am sorry if that offends.
    It doesn't offend me at all but it makes me feel a little sad because I know that good NAPLAN results doesn't automatically = best educational outcomes. However, it just reaffirms what I knew all along...parents look at myschool to choose their school thinking it's the best for their child because of a green line.

That's the whole point I made at the beginning. Parents will choose a school based on a green and red line and nothing else. I rest my case.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (17-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not all parents BRV.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I thought I already explained this...anyway if there are children who need help because they don't speak English, the school is given EXTRA teachers to withdraw or support students in class. I assume your child does not need help with speaking English as an additional language so he wouldn't need the support of the EXTRA teacher that is provided for children who have a language background other than English. And again, James Ruse High and majority of selective high schools would have over 90% of students with language background other than English. The interesting thing is that the parents at my children's school do speak English very well, they just speak their own language at home. And as I already said earlier, being from a language background other than English doesn't mean a child needs help. Often children who are proficient in 2 languages do better than children who only speak one language. My daughter's best friend from school is from Bangladesh. She was just chosen to go into the public speaking finals competing against other schools. Her brother is at the selective high school.

Why is it in the red in year 3? Maybe parents take their children out for extended lengths of time to visit their home country (this is a common occurrence). Next year I will be going to Ireland in the middle of term 2 for an extended family holiday because my husband's brother is getting married. I said earlier that my son had only 15 in his class because 3 of his classmates have gone to their home countries for an extended holiday.

But I don't care about that. The red is not important to me. The red or green or white is totally insignificant.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/sch...-1225864756741

Not sure if you read this before but it discusses cheating in NAPLAN snd schools asking parents to keep their "below average" child at home.

Interesting reading...

http://www.saveourschools.com.au/file_download/40
    If you want to convince me to hypothetically send my ds1 to your school then I am going to need another explanation for the below average Naplan results - kids taking extended holidays as the only explanation doesn't cut the mustard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Kinder program in childcare if funding isn't approved?

It doesn't offend me at all but it makes me feel a little sad because I know that good NAPLAN results doesn't automatically = best educational outcomes. However, it just reaffirms what I knew all along...parents look at myschool to choose their school thinking it's the best for their child because of a green line.

That's the whole point I made at the beginning. Parents will choose a school based on a green and red line and nothing else. I rest my case.
    No. You conveniently skipped over the part where I said "all else being equal." By all else I meant school community, extra curricular activities, diversity, sense of community, experience and calibre of teachers etc. Of course it is difficult to measure those aspects, however I would try. I would never choose a school based on Naplan alone. I don't know anyone who would I think you are being sensitive and alarmist with that claim.

That being said if by some miracle I was able to ascertain that 2 different schools were exactly the same in terms of all the non-Naplan aspects (difficult, perhaps impossible), I make no apology for saying that I would choose the school in which the children obtained better Naplan results. Parents wanting better for their kids is nothing to be ashamed of.
    Last edited by VicPark; 16-09-2016 at 22:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want to convince me to hypothetically send my ds1 to your school then I am going to need another explanation for the below average Naplan results - kids taking extended holidays as the only explanation doesn't cut the mustard.
    That is one reason. I've given you some others but you don't seem to want to listen. Given your quick response I assume you didn't read the links.

But I'm not here to convince you to send your child to my school or my children's school or any other school that may be in the red. I'm just trying to explain that a red mark is not the be all and end all and certainly not an indication of how YOUR child will achieve at NAPLAN. After all, what do we want from an education?

Here's the school I work at...

I would send my children here no hesitation if I lived closer and worked full time because I know how amazing my colleagues are yet people would turn their noses up at the red lines here as well.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1474030112.907577.jpg
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1474030260.502056.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    That is one reason. I've given you some others but you don't seem to want to listen. Given your quick response I assume you didn't read the links.

But I'm not here to convince you to send your child to my school or my children's school or any other school that may be in the red. I'm just trying to explain that a red mark is not the be all and end all and certainly not an indication of how YOUR child will achieve at NAPLAN. After all, what do we want from an education?

Here's the school I work at...

I would send my children here no hesitation if I lived closer and worked full time because I know how amazing my colleagues are yet people would turn their noses up at the red lines here as well.
    Attachment 84379
    Attachment 84380
    Of course I am genuinely interested. I admit though I don't like clicking on links and sifting through a tonne of information. More than one small para in a post and my attention is shot...