+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    3 kids in after school care + expenses of school, public or private would come pretty close. Send them to even a semi 'exclusive' school with OOSC and you'd be better off in DC.
    It would be cheaper to send my three to the most exclusive school in my city than to have three at daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    If all the teachers keep saying the NAPLAN tests don't really prove or show anything then why do high schools look at the results of the each child in their selection process ?
    Unfortunately, as an external exam it has the highest consistency ratings. Report cards are useless sometimes because one school might give a particular assessment a 'b' grade whereas it may only be a 'c' grade elsewhere.

NAPLAN is just a starting point. Most private schools will do their own testing but it gives them an idea of classes to place students in, learning support needs etc UNTIL they are actually in class at the school - and then they go on their own assessments

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zander15 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (15-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Wow we need to move I think! All the childcares in my area are $100-120/day. I'm in suburban Melbourne, ds's cc is $110 and will be $120 next year before rebates.

I wonder what the average cc cost is over all of Australia?
    We are suburban Brisbane and our is over $100

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zander15 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (15-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think it's bloody awesome teaching and those kids are lucky to have such great teachers. I wouldn't say growth or improvement is necessarily more important though. As a parent do I want my kid to be in an environment where kids are improving in leaps and bounds, but still well behind average in core skills? No. Assuming everything else was the same (size, sense of community, extra curricular activities, room for play, empathy of teachers etc) I would absolutely prefer my kid to be in an environment where the kids are performing above average in core skills (and hence where there is less room for growth and improvement).
    Absolutely growth and improvement is important in anything! If there's no growth, there's no learning. Schools would look at their value added (growth) just as much if not more than the actual results.

If you interpret the myschool graph of my children's school, you would've noticed that in year 3, the lines are dark red which means they were performing significantly lower in NAPLAN than similar and all other schools but the year 5 one shows the lines are light green, which means slightly above, white which means achieving the same as other schools or pink which means only slightly lower. So they have caught up to all schools across Australia in some areas. Those results that I showed are for 2015, this year the results were even better but they haven't published 2016 on my school yet.

The bottom line is that NAPLAN is supposed to be used as a snapshot or diagnostic tool, not a measuring tool. The myschool website means NAPLAN is not being used how it was intended. And the only losers are the kids whose educational opportunities are compromised by a narrower curriculum that only teaches them how to sit a test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Overall I agree with a lot if your points. However for whatever reason I get the feeling you are perhaps unnecessarily sensitive/defensive regarding your kids school. I don't know anyone who has or is considering choosing a school based on Naplan alone. If your kids school has lots of good extra curricular activities surely parents will take that into consideration. If they don't choose the school for whatever reason, that's their prerogative and it doesn't make their choice a bad one.
    I'm not sensitive or defensive of my children's school. I am just a passionate teacher who thinks myschool shouldn't even be considered when choosing a school.

I don't know what other parents look for in a school but you expressing your concerns over my children's school having such a high percentage of children with language background other than English demonstrates the difference in people's values because I sure as ship would not want my kids going to a school that lacked diversity!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (16-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Kinder program in childcare if funding isn't approved?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm not sensitive or defensive of my children's school. I am just a passionate teacher who thinks myschool shouldn't even be considered when choosing a school.

I don't know what other parents look for in a school but you expressing your concerns over my children's school having such a high percentage of children with language background other than English demonstrates the difference in people's values because I sure as ship would not want my kids going to a school that lacked diversity!
    See there you go - jumping to conclusions. I value diversity however you are living in a bubble if you think your diverse school is going to be the best choice for every kid. My concerns over the non English speaking aspect related to the suitability for my first child not my second.
    Last edited by VicPark; 16-09-2016 at 07:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Absolutely growth and improvement is important in anything! If there's no growth, there's no learning. Schools would look at their value added (growth) just as much if not more than the actual results.

If you interpret the myschool graph of my children's school, you would've noticed that in year 3, the lines are dark red which means they were performing significantly lower in NAPLAN than similar and all other schools but the year 5 one shows the lines are light green, which means slightly above, white which means achieving the same as other schools or pink which means only slightly lower. So they have caught up to all schools across Australia in some areas. Those results that I showed are for 2015, this year the results were even better but they haven't published 2016 on my school yet.

The bottom line is that NAPLAN is supposed to be used as a snapshot or diagnostic tool, not a measuring tool. The myschool website means NAPLAN is not being used how it was intended. And the only losers are the kids whose educational opportunities are compromised by a narrower curriculum that only teaches them how to sit a test.
    You're missing my point. Not knocking your school at all for having such growth rates. Just that if everything else was the same I would prefer a school that goes from average - quite a bit above average rather than below average to slightly above average. Growth is good however at the end of the day it's all about the level skills and capabilities the kids are left with.

I use Naplan as a snapshot not a complete diagnostic/decision making tool. Don't deny me access to MySchools because some teachers are doing the wrong thing (teaching to Naplan) and some parents (non from my experience however I trust you that there are some) are numpties and don't look beyond Naplan/Myschools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're missing my point. Not knocking your school at all for having such growth rates. Just that if everything else was the same I would prefer a school that goes from average - quite a bit above average rather than below average to slightly above average. Growth is good however at the end of the day it's all about the level skills and capabilities the kids are left with.

I use Naplan as a snapshot not a complete diagnostic/decision making tool. Don't deny me access to MySchools because some teachers are doing the wrong thing (teaching to Naplan) and some parents (non from my experience however I trust you that there are some) are numpties and don't look beyond Naplan/Myschools.
    You are contradicting yourself. On one hand you are saying you don't use myschool alone to choose a school but then you are saying you would choose a school in the green, not the red. But where do you get that information from?

And also, as I said earlier, even if a school is "below average" in NAPLAN to use your words, it doesn't mean your child will be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    See there you go - jumping to conclusions. I value diversity however you are living in a bubble if you think your diverse school is going to be the best choice for every kid. My concerns over the non English speaking aspect related to the suitability for my first child not my second.
    But you are jumping to conclusions by saying that the school won't be able to meet the needs of your child. I fail to see the connection between the school's high percentage of students with a language background other than English and your assumption that because of this, the school would fail to meet the needs of your child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    You are contradicting yourself. On one hand you are saying you don't use myschool alone to choose a school but then you are saying you would choose a school in the green, not the red. But where do you get that information from?
    I am saying that if all else is equal (and the only way I would know that is too research outside of the myschools site) I would choose the school that on average produces better educational outcomes for their kids.