+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    3 kids in after school care + expenses of school, public or private would come pretty close. Send them to even a semi 'exclusive' school with OOSC and you'd be better off in DC.
    Sorry I don't buy for one minute that the cost of sending 3 x kids to a public school with oosc comes close to the cost if sending 3 x kids to daycare.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Zander15  (15-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Kinder program in childcare if funding isn't approved?

[QUOTE=BigRedV;8566695]Would you like it if the school taught your child how to do the NAPLAN and spent months preparing for *one* test or would you rather your child receive a balanced, broad curriculum that produces a well rounded student?

BigRedV QUOTE]

NAPLAN wasn't even on my radar for choosing schools but who is making these schools spend months preparing for it? Is that the principal making the teachers do that , the teachers taking it upon themselves or is it the education department? I would hate it if our school spent so much time on it , at our school they do one practice test the week before and it's not a big deal at all ( according to my year 3 mums !)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    [QUOTE=Elijahs Mum;8566735]
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Would you like it if the school taught your child how to do the NAPLAN and spent months preparing for *one* test or would you rather your child receive a balanced, broad curriculum that produces a well rounded student?

BigRedV QUOTE]

NAPLAN wasn't even on my radar for choosing schools but who is making these schools spend months preparing for it? Is that the principal making the teachers do that , the teachers taking it upon themselves or is it the education department? I would hate it if our school spent so much time on it , at our school they do one practice test the week before and it's not a big deal at all ( according to my year 3 mums !)
    I don't know if it's teachers or principals. Probably a bit of both snd happening at private and public schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sorry I don't buy for one minute that the cost of sending 3 x kids to a public school with oosc comes close to the cost if sending 3 x kids to daycare.
    I agree if we are looking at a 100 a day DC in Sydney vs a public school you'll save money.

But if we look at 60 a day which is what we pay (before rebate obviously), then factor in before and after school, which if you have even a 30 min commute you'll need. Add in everything it costs, uniforms, 'voluntary' fees, excursions, incidentals (which stack up quickly), I think you'll be shocked once both are at school what you are up for, everything told. Then if you plan to send them private....

We went public bc I believe it's just as good, and I'm atheist. But I admit I was shocked how expensive 'free' public education is..... and don't get me started about the ipads they now want us to buy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

There's a failure with the implementation here not a failure with the concept. I don't think schools should be allowed to teach for the Naplan tests. Infact when I am Prime Minister I am going to ban all prep bar a 1 hour familiarization session. Anymore and the offender gets the sack.

I don't agree that parents should only see their own kids results. Parents have a right to know about the schools strengths and weaknesses so they can figure out what option is best for their child.

I looked at the results You posted (thanks for sharing). The first thing that struck me was the % of kids from a non English speaking background. This can have positives (exposing your child to different cultures). And it can have negatives (teachers may need to focus more attention on kids who aren't from an English speaking background). The 'low results' were a secondary observation for me. To be honest for my eldest who has issues I am
    Not sure a school where a lot of kids need extra attention would be the best for him. For my second it might be a good option to widen his view of the world. That being said before considering enrolling due to the results I would look at parent reviews and check out the school for myself.
    There are plenty of schools that teach to the test as a result of the pressure from parents who think that a school's success is a direct link with NAPLAN results. Children have been asked to stay home to not bring a school's results down so it looks good on myschool. This is the reason that website is a farce when looking at NAPLAN results, along with the way they actually get the results of how well a school does. NAPLAN does not demonstrate a school's whole strength and weaknesses. I think it's quite naive to think like that. I would much rather hear about a school's programs they offer.

http://www.saveourschools.com.au/file_download/40

Did you know that children with more than one language often do better than children with only one spoken language? My children do not get left behind. My son's kindy class currently has 15 students and my daughter's year 2 class has 21. The local catholic schools have at least 32 and some 35 in one class! Many people would turn their nose up at my children's school because of it being multicultural or whatever. But it is a fantastic, innovative school and I find it fascinating that you think children would get left behind because some children don't speak English at home. NSW public Schools have English as an additional language teachers who are allocated to schools according to the percentage of students who come from a home where English isn't the main language and what phase of English they speak. It's not just left to the class teacher. To be honest, if my child had "issues" like you say your son has then that reason alone would make me keep my child home another year.

Here's a snippet of my children's school from our local paper. The school was chosen to have educational leaders and principals from all over Sydney to see how they do things at the school because they've made huge gains in students achievement, especially K-2 but if you looked at myschool and the NAPLAN results you would be put off as you say by the large proportion of children whose families don't speak English at home. The children obviously being in the local paper have permission from parents to publish photos but I've blocked them anyway.
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226523826536

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1473858355.090952.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    There are plenty of schools that teach to the test as a result of the pressure from parents who think that a school's success is a direct link with NAPLAN results. Children have been asked to stay home to not bring a school's results down so it looks good on myschool. This is the reason that website is a farce when looking at NAPLAN results, along with the way they actually get the results of how well a school does. NAPLAN does not demonstrate a school's whole strength and weaknesses. I think it's quite naive to think like that. I would much rather hear about a school's programs they offer.

http://www.saveourschools.com.au/file_download/40

Did you know that children with more than one language often do better than children with only one spoken language? My children do not get left behind. My son's kindy class currently has 15 students and my daughter's year 2 class has 21. The local catholic schools have at least 32 and some 35 in one class! Many people would turn their nose up at my children's school because of it being multicultural or whatever. But it is a fantastic, innovative school and I find it fascinating that you think children would get left behind because some children don't speak English at home. NSW public Schools have English as an additional language teachers who are allocated to schools according to the percentage of students who come from a home where English isn't the main language and what phase of English they speak. It's not just left to the class teacher. To be honest, if my child had "issues" like you say your son has then that reason alone would make me keep my child home another year.

Here's a snippet of my children's school from our local paper. The school was chosen to have educational leaders and principals from all over Sydney to see how they do things at the school because they've made huge gains in students achievement, especially K-2 but if you looked at myschool and the NAPLAN results you would be put off as you say by the large proportion of children whose families don't speak English at home. The children obviously being in the local paper have permission from parents to publish photos but I've blocked them anyway.
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226523826536

Attachment 84333
    Bottom line if students from your school are not in need of extra attention then why are their educational results in the bottom of the results table? You can't put it all down to other schools doing a dodge by keeping their 'worst' performers home. Not saying the kids are bad or the teachers aren't doing a great job. Just that the kids and teachers face some extraordinary challenges and thanks to the Mygov website as it helped me realise that and hence some to the theoretical decision that your school wouldn't be suitable for my eldest child.

Also, a kid having issues doesn't mean they need to be left home anther year - without the details of said issues you are flying blind in terms if making that call. It just means that he shouldn't go to a school where a large chunk of the student population also have issues that require the teachers attention.
    Last edited by VicPark; 15-09-2016 at 05:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also, a kid having issues doesn't mean they need to be left home anther year - without the details of said issues you are flying blind in terms if making that call. It just means that he shouldn't go to a school where a large chunk of the student population also have issues that require the teachers attention.
    I agree with this 100%. In fact, for some kids starting school can be the best thing for a child with "issues" in some cases because at school the child has greater access to targeted support and resources.

Obviously it's not the case with most bubhub families, but many kids start school having had no questioning of whether or not their development (cognitive, social, emotional) is typical. Starting school at 6 can mean one less year of intervention to support these kids. Like I said, not the norm amongst the bubhub community, but it becomes apparent time and again that here does not represent the greater parent population.

As a side on the Naplan thing. The govt school I teach at is *** feeder for many private schools. For some kids there is a lot riding on their grade 5 naplan results as the schools look at these during their selection process. The flow on from that is a lot of parent pressure to prepare the kids for the tests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If all the teachers keep saying the NAPLAN tests don't really prove or show anything then why do high schools look at the results of the each child in their selection process ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think it's the private system that cares about naplans. They tend to be more elitist and want kids on their books that outwardly perform well. I don't think anyone, teacher or parent, is saying naplans are meaningless. Just that there are many complexities that scores don't reflect about both students and schools. I certainly believe far too much stock is placed in them.

And as an example, my DS1 sat the yr 3 naplans. He scored well above school and above national average but his maths wasn't good. That would be bc he got bogged down on a few questions and spent literally an hour stressing and trying to work them out rather than leaving them and moving on. So he only completed half the test lol So on paper his score wasn't good, but had he actually kept moving and left them he would have scored really well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (15-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    If all the teachers keep saying the NAPLAN tests don't really prove or show anything then why do high schools look at the results of the each child in their selection process ?
    Good question. I'm neither here nor there on NAPLAN so I'm keen on hearing all sides of the coin on this one.

The school we are sending DD to is zoned to us and part of the reason we chose to buy and build where we are. I know it's a very good school given the area and it's reputation, I have NO idea what their na plan results are or how they are used.

So are parents using NAPLAN to find suitable public schools as well as private, then moving to those areas or are zones a bit more relaxed in other states?