+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are there actually any negative effects of waiting until the year your child turns 6? Ie. if they're ready at 4 turning 5, does it hurt to still wait another year?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    Are there actually any negative effects of waiting until the year your child turns 6? Ie. if they're ready at 4 turning 5, does it hurt to still wait another year?
    If they didn't do 4yr old kinder when they were 4 (so they were 5 or turning 5) then that's ok I suppose, but if they do 4yr old kinder (like my son who turned 4 in Feb) it might be hard for them to see their friends go off to school and then they have to start kinder again with 3 year olds turning 4 and some turning 5 (usually after March/April).
    Would be better to delay 4yr old kinder but some parents don't know around age 3 if that's the right choice (like myself).

There's also some reading around. But like most things on the net you don't have to believe what you read.

http://www.safeschoolshub.edu.au/docs/default-source/Parents-files/when_should_your_child_start_school.doc

Also if you google Professor Andrew Martin you might find some info. But he also agrees that formally assessing the child for readiness is important as well...he doesn't say that all 4.5yr - 4yr 11m should start no matter what.

But my son is 5 in mid-Feb, so slightly different to those 5 from April/May etc.

Another thing too, my son is already above average in height, Some kids feel out of place towering over most of the 5 year olds as well!

There so many things to consider I guess and every family and child is different.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 14-09-2016 at 12:16.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-09-2016),atomicmama  (14-09-2016)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I've been reading along. I used to be set on a later starting age but now I'm not so sure. I started at turning 6 even though I could have started at turning 5. I used to think it was great but thinking back...it would have been much easier starting earlier once I hit puberty. I was an early developer so getting af before starting year 5 was not fun! And my friends were still enjoying childhood...plus I lost a lot of motivation in high school. Not sure if age would have made a difference.

So now as ds is a Jan baby I believe in assessing each kid individually. I thought I would send him at 6 but now thinking of sending him at 5, likely to an alternative school which I think avoids a lot of the readiness issues in main****** schools. At least at primary level anyway...haven't put much thought into high school yet!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (14-09-2016),A-Squared  (14-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    I'm not really annoyed if they make an informed decision based on kinder feedback. However some Jan-Feb kids might be "ready" but parents still hold them back because they don't want them to be the youngest. Not all parents make their decision based on that though, I understand some parents genuinely believe their kids aren't ready even if they are born Jan/Feb.

What about your Feb baby when is he starting?

I'm actually worried my son will regress after 6 months of another year of kinder. I don't really believe he needs another year, it would be great if he could start prep mid-year!
    He's confident and academic but I'm just anxious about it all, so that's why I'm having him assessed in term 4 to help me make the best decision.
    It is one thing sending your child based on kinder feedback that they are ready then, but there are so many other issues to take into consideration.

Another thing to think about is for the child to continually cope through out their schooling life.

My DD9 started school at 4.5, she is an end of June birthday. Cut off here in QLD then was June 30. This makes her about the 3rd youngest in her year.

I would loved to have kept her back a year and sent her the following yet, except everyone e.g preschool (kindy), her father, my partner told me she was ready.

Sure... academically she was ready and still is now in year 4 and is holding her own. Social/emotionally she was not ready and still struggles with the whole girl dynamics'.

It also means I will be sending her off to high school at 11 1/2, I find this so concerning. My DD12 is in year 6 and there is a huge difference between the girls who are 12 and the girls who are 11.

So for me it is not just about their starting age, it is about the age they go off to high school and dealing with friendship dynamics.

I got annoyed with the school in Prep as I was continually told she was not coping emotionally (I knew this), but repeating her wasn't an option.

If I had my time again I would have kept her back and started her at 5.5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    It is one thing sending your child based on kinder feedback that they are ready then, but there are so many other issues to take into consideration.

Another thing to think about is for the child to continually cope through out their schooling life.

My DD9 started school at 4.5, she is an end of June birthday. Cut off here in QLD then was June 30. This makes her about the 3rd youngest in her year.

I would loved to have kept her back a year and sent her the following yet, except everyone e.g preschool (kindy), her father, my partner told me she was ready.

Sure... academically she was ready and still is now in year 4 and is holding her own. Social/emotionally she was not ready and still struggles with the whole girl dynamics'.

It also means I will be sending her off to high school at 11 1/2, I find this so concerning. My DD12 is in year 6 and there is a huge difference between the girls who are 12 and the girls who are 11.

So for me it is not just about their starting age, it is about the age they go off to high school and dealing with friendship dynamics.

I got annoyed with the school in Prep as I was continually told she was not coping emotionally (I knew this), but repeating her wasn't an option.

If I had my time again I would have kept her back and started her at 5.5.
    Fair enough, I guess there is a big difference between turning 5 in Feb or June. 4 months can make such a difference.
    Our cut off here in Vic is end April.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 14-09-2016 at 14:50.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (14-09-2016),VicPark  (14-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the solution is obvious and I'm surprised no one has suggested it so far?
    Stop having babies in the first half of the year. Duh.
    Sorry I couldn't help it
    In all honesty though I am glad DD was born 2nd July so she will have to start at 5.5 no option to send earlier or later as cutoff in SA is 1st May. Same rule applies for kindergarten/preschool here.
    Yay one parenting decision I don't have to make.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (14-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I think the solution is obvious and I'm surprised no one has suggested it so far?
    Stop having babies in the first half of the year. Duh.
    Sorry I couldn't help it
    In all honesty though I am glad DD was born 2nd July so she will have to start at 5.5 no option to send earlier or later as cutoff in SA is 1st May. Same rule applies for kindergarten/preschool here.
    Yay one parenting decision I don't have to make.
    Haha! So true!
    Ds was an Ivf baby, why didn't I hold off 3 more months?!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    In some states parents don't chose though, their kid will have to start when they are 4.5, like my DD who was born on 30 June and will go to school in Queensland. That's the rules here. So the education system does need to support that as they are the ones dictating that 4.5 year olds have to start school!! Of course the option is out there to delay start until 6 but then the kids will skip prep and half of year 1 which is less than ideal. And I would think harder to teachers for manage as they will have to assist the children who are 1.5 years behind in their eduction catch up with the rest of the class.
    If you have a June or July baby- you have the option of delaying a year in the public system and definitely in the private system. I have a June baby and was given those options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    If you have a June or July baby- you have the option of delaying a year in the public system and definitely in the private system. I have a June baby and was given those options.
    That's good to hear... I'd previously been told it was only an option for July babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't think the education system should change just because people choose to send their child before they turn 5.
    People have been sending their just about/newly turned 5 year old to school since day dot. It's been the norm for a long time not the exception and is within the guidelines set by the appropriate Education Department. If the kindy/prep program in certain states hasn't been suitable for those just about/newly turned 5 year olds all along then that's shame on the education department for delivering a service which wasn't matching the advertised target audience. The fact that there is now a trend to send kids later doesn't dissolve the Department from doing what they should have been doing all along - delivering a kindy/prep program that is suitable for the age group they invite to participate in the program (which includes just about/newly turned 5 year olds).

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-09-2016),bezzy  (15-09-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (15-09-2016)