+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Kinder program in childcare if funding isn't approved?

Ds will have a school readiness assessment soon as I've requested it so we can apply for another year of 4yr old kinder.
    He turns 5 in mid Feb to start school (prep).
    I was so sure that I would send him but now I'm having doubts based on his maturity and honestly I don't think I want him the youngest through high school.
    The council most likely won't allow funding if reason is maturity. So if they don't allow it, what are my options? I don't want to be forced to make him start school.
    Could he do the kinder program in a daycare (day care fees would apply??) or he still wouldn't able to do that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    He certainly can. He can also repeat at his current kinder, it will just be more expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    You could pay to put your kid in a private preschool. I wouldn't use a preschool program in a daycare centre as my exposure to them (which may not be all encompassing) is that it's just daycare and in no way compares to a proper preschool - it's going backwards.

To be honest if my kid wasn't eligible for another year of preschool and the teachers weren't bringing up any red flags I would put my kid in kindy next year. Better that (and repeat if needed) than daycare.

In what ways do you think your child isn't mature enough? Have the preschool teachers (or kindy teachers for next year) mentioned that will be a problem?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Vicpark it's the stigma. I'm so annoyed at some of the parents holding their kids back because the don't want them to be the youngest. If all parents went by the April cut off then it wouldnt be a problem because he would be amongst other kids turning 5 Jan-March/April, but it looks like other kids will be turning 6 making it more difficult for my child (I'm sure joining in play etc would be harder with 6 year olds as opposed to 5 year olds).
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 10-09-2016 at 18:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You could pay to put your kid in a private preschool. I wouldn't use a preschool program in a daycare centre as my exposure to them (which may not be all encompassing) is that it's just daycare and in no way compares to a proper preschool - it's going backwards.
    I completely disagree. If it's a government funded kindergarten in a daycare setting then the program is the same as a private one. Both are run by qualified teachers.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (11-09-2016),BettyV  (10-09-2016),Busy-Bee  (17-09-2016),Full House  (13-09-2016),harvs  (10-09-2016),MrsSS  (10-09-2016),smallpotatoes  (10-09-2016),sunnygirl79  (10-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I completely disagree. If it's a government funded kindergarten in a daycare setting then the program is the same as a private one. Both are run by qualified teachers.

Even though I've asked the question, honestly I would prefer the council run kinder because at my eldest son's day care/kinder, although the teacher was fantastic I found that there was more free time to play outside, rather than set times like school. Also there was a mix of 3-5 year olds in this "kinder" room. I'm not saying all are like this, but from my experience of day care run and council run.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is a Feb baby and we sent him at 4 turning 5. It has worked out fine for him, but in your case I think if you really believe he won't be ready, and he doesn't get funding then a kinder program in long day care setting would be fine. I agree with PP's that it may seem like a 'step backwards' but I guess weighing it up, a small step backwards seems like a better option than a huge leap forwards that he's not ready for. DS attended a long day care program just like the one you have experienced- ages 3-5 and a lot less structured than a sessional kinder program. I don't think it makes a huge difference once they're all settled in to school.

Thanks
    Reviews

Everyone I've met who have experienced both settings say there is a big difference. Being in a room with half the children barely out of toddlerhood is completely different to being in a room almost entirely made up of children going to school the following year, even if the programs are the same on paper. Activities need to be adjusted, many kids still need naps, staff have to spend time dealing with less mature children instead of solely focussing on school readiness. It's not the same at all.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (10-09-2016),cheeeeesecake  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

You missed the bit where I specified I was speaking about those centres that I had been exposed to. And trust me when I say there is no way in heck they come close to the preschool my little one is now enrolled in. The daycare centres had instability with staffing, kids changing rooms willy nilly (kids were placed in the room to make way for new kids in younger rooms, not because they needed to be in a school readiness program) , minimal scope for excursions, staff (including room leads who were preschool trained) that worked long daycare hours and had minimal time to plan appropriately (as opposed to In a preschool where the teacher works 9-3 and has adequate planning time budgeted into the day). Does that mean all are the same? no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You missed the bit where I specified I was speaking about those centres that I had been exposed to. And trust me when I say there is no way in heck they come close to the preschool my little one is now enrolled in. The daycare centres had instability with staffing, kids changing rooms willy nilly (kids were placed in the room to make way for new kids in younger rooms, not because they needed to be in a school readiness program) , minimal scope for excursions, staff (including room leads who were preschool trained) that worked long daycare hours and had minimal time to plan appropriately (as opposed to In a preschool where the teacher works 9-3 and has adequate planning time budgeted into the day). Does that mean all are the same? no.
    Our centre was very stable in terms of staff and children, went on regular excursions and the kinder teacher had 2 hours of planning time every day and it still wasn't the same as sessional kinder. I don't think you can compare the two at all. Ours was a fantastic centre, and I was happy for DS to be there, and he adjusted well to school (sessional just couldn't work with our 2 parents working household!) but I do recognise that it's not the same thing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (10-09-2016)