Party at home or at a park? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Party at home or at a park?

Need some opinions please..

DS1 (turning 5 in October) DS2 (turning 3 in November) are having a combined bday party this year because DS3 is due to be born around DS2's bday.

Last year we had a really great party in a playground near our home. It worked out amazing, the kids had tonnes of fun because of the space and the play equipment and I didn't have to organise any games. We set up trestle tables with food and a cake and some balloons and that was it. and we were able to invite heaps of people. All our friends and family (even those without kids) and the boys' friends from childcare.

We've recently moved to a new house, not close to the park we did it at last year. It's about 15 mins drive away, not super far.. But not as close either. I'm going to be 8 months pregnant when the party will be on.

Having it at the park will mean carrying lots of stuff (DH will do a lot of the lifting but I'll still have the hassle of transporting things and having to set up in a public place without home conveniences).

Our house is large but doesn't have a big yard. It's a great place to have a party but it would have to be on a smaller scale. It's also lacking some furniture at the moment so I feel like having a party here will put pressure on us to finish furnishing it in the next 4 weeks which doesn't feel like enough time..

I just like the idea of having all the food and activities in a comfortable and convenient location and not having to travel anywhere or transport things. Then again, this would mean "organising activities" as we don't have playground equipment. I'm not worried about the clean up because we will get help, but we won't be able to invite as many people..

What would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Honestly, go for a play centre party if you can. Can that be an option?

I did the same when 8mths preggers with ds3.

Kids can play, you don't have to prep and you don't have to clean up.

Otherwise house sounds good - you don't need to furnish for a kids party, everyone will understand your situation xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (10-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Honestly, go for a play centre party if you can. Can that be an option?

I did the same when 8mths preggers with ds3.

Kids can play, you don't have to prep and you don't have to clean up.

Otherwise house sounds good - you don't need to furnish for a kids party, everyone will understand your situation xx
    I didn't even consider that option! But it might work out. I think even our childcare centre organises parties.. I might contact them and ask..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Play centre or McDonald's at 8 months pregnant.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (10-09-2016),witherwings  (10-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I would have a smaller party at home , don't stress about furniture as long as there are chairs and tables for the food , get as much help from family to clean,set up and cater ( at 8 months pregnant you can just sit down and play party host - I'm planning my nieces 5th party next weekend for my 8 month pregnant SIL) and all little kids need is a jumping castle ( can you hire /but one and fit it in the yard?) or a trampoline ( good birthday present) and if it's warm some water balloons! Do a quick pass the parcel and maybe piñata and get a bubble machine and at that age that's all you need! Or you could hire a party entertainer ( magician, reptile man, balloon animals, face painting etc ) and they entertain the kids ( you don't need a big yard)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    No way I would do either - both sound like a lot of work (pain in the ****) and I don't trust the "people will help, you can just sit back" philosophy. With either option you will likely be buggered.

I vote for the indoor play centre.!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeah, definitely the playcentre at 8 months pregnant. That way you do minimum work, the cherubs can burn themselves out and everyone is happy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did DDs 5th recently, we had it at home because we have a decent backyard in our new place. I planned it for the afternoon (after lunch) and just put out a few snack type things for the kids that were easy to make or heat in the oven. I hired an entertainer and kept the party to 2hrs (half an hour for arrivals, 1hr entertainer, half hour for cake and that was it). It was actually surprising much easier than the party I did last year at a local pub with play area. I also had some help from family to make it easier, but I wasn't pregnant at the time! I'd probably either do it at home or go somewhere that does food and activities and all you need to do it bring a cake.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do not have it at home under any circumstances. I would go for a McD's joint party, it even comes with an outdoor playground and coffee for the adults!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the feedback ladies! I'm leaning towards doing it somewhere like a play centre where everything is organised by someone else lol I've emailed my childcare director to see if they will host, as they did it for another boy in DS1s room a few months ago and it was really amazing, they even baked a themed cake for him and organised all the activities etc.. But it was in another branch of the centre, nowhere near my home. If that's their only venue where they host parties, I'll do it at home but very small.