+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found at this age and then more so at 6-7 that I needed to guide DD with a lot of situations where there were arguments over opinions. Eg. She'd come home upset because her friend has said Stormfly was the most powerful dragon but she was adamant that Toothless was. So we would talk a lot about the difference between fact and opinion, beliefs and critiquing evidence beliefs are based on and respecting that some people are very passionate in their beliefs - be it the football team they barrack for or the god they worship.

I don't particularly single out religion as something to be questioned and prefer to tie it in with this bigger picture learning. I just explain that they believe X, mum believes y (agnostic) and dad believes none of it (athiest). I see it as part of the bigger picture of learning to deal with people respectfully regardless of their views and not letting others force their views onto you.

She's 9 this Christmas and I'm pretty sure I'll need to break the whole Santa myth to her. So I think this will give us some opportunity to talk about religion a bit more deeply at an age when she's ready to comprehend the depth, history and 'why'.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even if your child believes in God for a little while because of something someone else said, it's sort of the same as how they believe that Santa, the Easter bunny, etc are real for a while. No harm in that?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-09-2016),witherwings  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Even if your child believes in God for a little while because of something someone else said, it's sort of the same as how they believe that Santa, the Easter bunny, etc are real for a while. No harm in that?
    No harm done if he keeps on believing either.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Catzilla  (11-09-2016),misho  (11-09-2016),witherwings  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't mind if he believes in God or wants to be religious but preferably not because a girl in preschool told him this is fact.. But anyway, he doesn't believe it in any case. He was just telling me a story about what the girl told him.

I had a chat to him about it last night after reading the replies on here. I was very careful and persistent with explaining that it's ok to have different beliefs and that if the girl believes the stories about God then that is perfectly fine. I told him mummy and daddy dont believe that about God but that doesn't mean it isn't true, and that he can believe whatever he wants etc.. I think it sunk in a bit about respecting other people's feelings (rather than beliefs which I think is a concept a bit beyond him). He said something along the lines of "I know that God isn't real but I won't say that to her because that will hurt her feelings". I was pretty proud of my boy

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-09-2016),MrsTugs  (12-09-2016),Tiny Dancer  (12-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also wanted to add, I was trying to explain to him about different beliefs - not necessarily religion and God but just anything, and I used an example of "some people believe dinosaurs can fly" and he goes "but dinosaurs CAN fly mummy!" Whoops! Haha!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I don't mind if he believes in God or wants to be religious but preferably not because a girl in preschool told him this is fact.. But anyway, he doesn't believe it in any case. He was just telling me a story about what the girl told him.

I had a chat to him about it last night after reading the replies on here. I was very careful and persistent with explaining that it's ok to have different beliefs and that if the girl believes the stories about God then that is perfectly fine. I told him mummy and daddy dont believe that about God but that doesn't mean it isn't true, and that he can believe whatever he wants etc.. I think it sunk in a bit about respecting other people's feelings (rather than beliefs which I think is a concept a bit beyond him). He said something along the lines of "I know that God isn't real but I won't say that to her because that will hurt her feelings". I was pretty proud of my boy
    It sounds like you handled it really well Your little boy sounds really sweet, & I think raising a respectful and understanding individual is so much more important than differences in religious beliefs. I think you've done a great job

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (12-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post

This was a perfect way to word things imo. You are being honest you don't believe but implanting the seed that it's ok she does. I think it also allows him the ability to 'find' religion in the future if it speaks to him, knowing you don't believe it but you would be ok if he did.

I tell my older kids they have to find what speaks to them. Be that a belief in God and Jesus, or reincarnation, pagan beliefs or that there is nothing there at all.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (12-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies I certainly felt guided by all your wise words! It was really daunting when he first started on Friday but by Saturday evening I felt like I knew how to approach it!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (12-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't make it an issue, I'd also not discuss on this topic with him at this age, let things move on their own. Now is not the right time, he's going to learn himself soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jennykins View Post
    I wouldn't make it an issue, I'd also not discuss on this topic with him at this age, let things move on their own. Now is not the right time, he's going to learn himself soon.
    Actually I think this is the age that kids naturally start talking about this stuff. Last week he told me that his friend from childcare (a different one to the aforementioned one) told him we all came from monkeys.

Clearly it's a topic that is important to them and they are curious about. As are many other topics.

I was really happy to talk to him about evolution and I even watched some videos on YouTube with him about how we evolved from primates. I learned a lot myself! And it was an area I was a lot more comfortable discussing

19. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (06-10-2016)