Good Ol' AF | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Good Ol' AF

So I was chatting to hubby about my darn period and how horribly annoying it is, and if he feels lucky he doesn't have to deal with this. I described my frustrations to him when he suddenly turned around and asked if my periods are normal.

And you know what? I would actually have no idea. I assumed everyone's was basically like mine.

What I was complaining about was the heaviness of it in the first 2-3 days. I will wear both super tampons and nighttime pads at the same time and change both every 1-1.5 hours if I can, as the tampon will leak through and fill the pad enough that it's at risk of leaking also. (It often does if I take a bit too long). This is an all day and night thing, so sometimes I will set alarms but usually I just wake up naturally every hour or so to go change them during the night. I also sleep with a towel folded in two, under my waist area, for those nights. My periods generally last between 5-7 days, the last few days being lighter.

Yes, yes, I know everyone's periods suck. But is it common for it to be this heavy? I'd never really considered it not to be until hubby asked.

How does it go for you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think there's a very wide range of normal. A woman I worked with got hers for a day and a half (b*tch). I get mine for 5-7 days too, with the first few days being the heaviest. What you describe sounds really heavy though! Is it really painful? Although I'd rather be placing towels down than dealing with the excruciating pain some women experience. I've only ever had very mild pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine is heavy for the first day...but by heavy I mean I empty my cup 3 times a day, instead of once. When I wore tampons I'd have to change a regular tampon by three hours. I wear a panty liner the first day. If I'm not wearing a cup on the first night, I wear a thicker cloth pad, and it's full in the morning. Otherwise, the cup is full.
    Day two - empty cup in morning, and again at night. Overnight I wear the cup, but there's barely anything in it...I can wear nothing at all by night two.
    Day three and four, just random spotting...nothing required overnight. I just wear the menstrual cup and rinse it out at the end of the day.
    Sometimes I get nothing at all day three and day four.
    Sometimes I get a bit of mild cramping on day one, or just before it starts. Nothing that requires any treatment though.
    I never have pain after the first day.
    The worst thing I get is fatigue...debilitating fatigue for a day or two before, and the first day of my period.
    About every four months I'll get pms pretty badly and be cranky for a few days before it starts. I can control this by limiting my sugar intake, though. If I've had a bad month of eating I'm guaranteed to get pms. When I'm eating really clean I am basically symptomless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @fullhouse ... Have you found yours has got shorter since using the cup? Personally mine has gone from being 5-7 days back to 3-4.

As far as heaviness is concerned OP, I think yours is extremely heavy and might need medical intervention? Having to change both a pad and a tampon every 1.5hours is definitely extreme... If suggest getting checked out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Taffabella For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (10-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Complete opposite here I remember when I was younger I used to flood through, so I went on The Pill and that helped considerably.

Now, I get some brown discharge on CD1, some light bleeding on CD2 - and by 'light' I mean I could get away with using 1 regular tampon in a 24 hour period (not that I would EVER do that!) and by CD3 I'm back to brown discharge again.

My, how things change as you get older! (I'm 42, BTW.)

Anywho...Yep OP, I'd be off to the GP to discuss this hon. There might be something he can prescribe to give you a little relief. Heavy is one thing but you should be able to get a decent night's rest as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was younger, it was about this heavy for 3 days and then stop completely, now I get it that heavy for only 2 days but get a few days tapering off. Which is fine. I get so excited when I can graduate to the regular tampons no pad.

You know, I had just assumed all girls struggle this much on the first few days . I guess because you don't ask, it's easy to assume it's the same for everyone.

As for the pain. I'll get cramps. Sometimes bad enough to catch me off guard but I have a pretty good pain tolerance so just push through it.

I rolled off my towel last night, and slept through for 4 hours so there will be a linen change as soon as hubby wakes up. Whoops. I'm thankful he really just doesn't give a hoot about me making a mess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    F

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP that is heavy!

Mine has changed lots. And tbh I have had a total of about 2 in the last 5 years?

Mine has always been extremely painful. Mine has never been regular either (have PCOS too). And I had lots of pain between AF too.

I have fainted a fair few times in the first day or two of AF. It was heavyish (pad change every 2-3 hours).

I think that being heavy and/or excessive pain always need investigation.

As for the 2 I have had - they seemed to be lighter after having DS. But the pain during and between AF is still bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffabella View Post
    @fullhouse ... Have you found yours has got shorter since using the cup? Personally mine has gone from being 5-7 days back to 3-4.

As far as heaviness is concerned OP, I think yours is extremely heavy and might need medical intervention? Having to change both a pad and a tampon every 1.5hours is definitely extreme... If suggest getting checked out.
    Yep, definitely shorter. Used to 5-6 days, now 2-4 days.
    The only time I use tampons is when exercising. For some reason, I just can't get a cup to work for me when I'm exercising ( hard core high interval training for an hour at a time - burpees, squat jumps, sprints, box jumps etc. The cup ends up 'dropping' and becomes far too uncomfortable). Bike riding and weights I'm fine wearing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, that sounds similar to how my Mum's periods went before she found out she had fibroids. It might be worth checking out.

Mine have never been that heavy - I have one 'real' period day, where I'll wear regular tampons and change maybe 4 times, then 2-3 brown spotting days. The flow stops completely overnight, even on the first day. There is such a wide range of 'normal'.