+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Discipline/punishment help!?

I'm so angry right now...

I'm writing this outside because I've had to get away from my DS (2 year old).

He's not a 'naughty' kid, he's always into everything and he's full on but that's fine, it's just him.

But tonight he picked up a glass ornament, walked over to the concrete and smashed it! DP picked him up and put him into his room. When DS came out (almost straight away) I said to him - you broke daddy's bowl. Now daddy is sad. We don't smash things. You need to say sorry to daddy.

This went on for a while, "no sorry, want iPad." Then toys then cars etc. Then he ran outside and picked up another one but I caught him before he could smash it. about another 20 min of crying and trying to do things and me and DP telling him to say sorry.

We have no friggin idea how to discipline him in a situation like this - Help!!??

Day to day stuff we just redirect, tell him no and why and it works (kinda) but this needs something different...
    Last edited by ButterflyMa; 08-09-2016 at 19:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Hmm you can't really discipline a 2 year old other than to say "no glass" and move on. Honestly it's only the beginning so stay calm and go with it. Kids know something is naughty but until their 4 will do it anyway. I don't think your expectations are way too high

Thanks
    Reviews
    It felt like 20 min, was probably about 5

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I would remove the temptation. Put it out of his reach. At 2 years all my nice things were still packed away.

If he is 2, a boisterous boy, and can reach it, and it can break, expect you are taking a gamble. He doesn't know, or understand, what's expensive, fragile or not for touching. It's all just fun and experimentation. No naughtiness involved.

That's why they have plastic cups for toddlers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly at 2 he doesn't quite grasp what was wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's still 2. All be saw was something cool that nade a cool sound and went EVERYWHERE.

They still cannot grasp all the rules. And when they do - their impulse control is still not great so they still do things like this.

Move all breakable things.

Discipline could be 2 minute time out but he will do it again and again and again *sigh*.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know how frustrating it is. They seem like they should understand, but they don't. Two is so so little. You can't have anything nice or breakable within reach. Pick your battles.

My 2yo was beating up all the other kids at care. I had to pick that battle. Now every day at pick up I ask if she hurt her friends. If she did there's no ipad that night. She never even cared about the iPad but since I made it a thing now she does. It has improved her behaviour. But I can only use it for that or it loses its power. If no ones getting hurt I would be cross but move on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I was a bit harsh.. Not my best mummy moment.

Thanks
    Reviews

Double post
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 08-09-2016 at 21:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyMa View Post
    Yeah I was a bit harsh.. Not my best mummy moment.
    We've all been there!
    No judgement xxx

It's easy to post on here and say to do x but in all honesty things happen in the heat of the moment. I'm sure I would of lost my cool too!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (08-09-2016)