+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dip near sternum when breathing in

Will take my little one to the gp, but just looking for thoughts.

My husband noticed my sons chest dipping slightly when he breathes in. He's not struggling to breathe, no fever or cough, just a very slight dip in his chest. I stupidly googled and found some serious conditions, but it doesnt looks as severe as the images shown.

Anyone else had this and it turned out to be nothing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So, I took him to the gp today and she said it could possibly be pectus excavatum but she said that if it is it doesn't look like a serious case. I have a referral for an ultrasound so we can check what his sternum looks like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4 month old has the same thing. Also has shortness of breath and noise when he breaths. Has had it since about 2 months old. Our Pead sent us to the cardiologist as he also had a heart murmur and also the ENT. All clear everywhere. They think perhaps his lungs aren't as developed as his chest and hopefully he'll grow out of it. Would be interested to see how your son's ultrasound goes? Its a wait and see how ours goes until his next checkup at 6 months.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aliluv For This Useful Post:

SookiLala  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was in hospital for a week at 4weeks because they were concerned he had a rapid breathing rate. They thought it was something metabolic; and it never occurred to me it could have been something physical so thank you for your post it's given me a lot to think about.

Hopefully your little one out grows it xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've gone for the ultrasound and there's an obvious dip. As he isn't having any other issues currently we are just going to monitor it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to update in case anyone Googles.

Ultrasound showed his sternum definitely has a dip. He has a high arched palate as well, so he is going to be assessed by a paediatrician to rule out any syndromes (ie. Marfans syndrome). Praying all goes okay