+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Keeping mosquitos away at night

How would you keep the mosquitos away from your child's room this season please.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Apparently mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide when we breathe out. Given its still cold here in Melbourne I haven't had an issue yet, but I did read somewhere about having a fan on to move the carbon dioxide away more quickly.

Mosquitoes are horrid things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I have 2 kids with mosquito allergies. The only thing I've found that worked were mosquito repellent plug ins that I use overnight when they are at their worst. I get them from the supermarket.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ugly as it looks we got an indoor bug zapper from Bunnings. I don't like the thought of poison etc going off all time (yes I'm paranoid 😁)

I use vanilla mozzie too. Also plant the mozzie plants outside. Empty water outside etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following. I am declaring war on mozzies this summer. We live near a river & bushland and it gets bad especially after rain. We do have fly screens on all doors and windows so don't normally have issues indoors but I really want to make use of our outdoor dining area more this season.

We have an electric bug zapper (which I am not convinced keeps mozzies & midgies away, more so moths and bugs), one of those refillable plug-in things, citronella coils and sandalwood sticks (kind of like fat incense sticks).

Has anyone found a good natural repellent? I have found the chemical free ones I have tried to be quite ineffective. And my DS1 attracts mozzies like bees to honey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, make sure uou don't have stale (or any) water in your yard/house where they can lay eggs etc.

Otherwise, plug ins is what I have used.

My mum used to use tea tree or something near our beds when I was young.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I grew up in the tropics and we slept under mosquito nets. They work brilliantly if you want a natural guaranteed solution.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Following. I am declaring war on mozzies this summer. We live near a river & bushland and it gets bad especially after rain. We do have fly screens on all doors and windows so don't normally have issues indoors but I really want to make use of our outdoor dining area more this season.

We have an electric bug zapper (which I am not convinced keeps mozzies & midgies away, more so moths and bugs), one of those refillable plug-in things, citronella coils and sandalwood sticks (kind of like fat incense sticks).

Has anyone found a good natural repellent? I have found the chemical free ones I have tried to be quite ineffective. And my DS1 attracts mozzies like bees to honey.

http://www.biome.com.au/739-para-kit...ito-protection

Tried these (I have not so no idea if any of them work)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    http://www.biome.com.au/739-para-kit...ito-protection

Tried these (I have not so no idea if any of them work)?
    No but I have been wondering if those clip on things work, would be good for pram? I think a lot of the wrist bands and stuff are citronella based, I don't find it effective against our qld midgies though. I need to take a trip to the Eco shop and read up on how all these things apparently work...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    No but I have been wondering if those clip on things work, would be good for pram? I think a lot of the wrist bands and stuff are citronella based, I don't find it effective against our qld midgies though. I need to take a trip to the Eco shop and read up on how all these things apparently work...
    I have tried to find what those wristbands etc use. '9 essential oils' is all I get. Secret recipe.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (08-09-2016)