+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    They get sick all the time in childcare. Especially the first year. So that sounds completely normal.

However, if you're not happy with the care at the childcare, definitely search around or do tours of other centres. Maybe there is one that better suits your needs. We tried one that felt really impersonal and ds hated it. He has been in two other centres, both of which he loved.

I returned to work at about the 6 month mark too and tbh it took me about 6 months to really start feeling like I was back in the swing of things. And try not to compare your LO to other babies. My ds didn't eat more than 1-2 teaspoons worth of food until after 1, and was on the late side to crawl and walk (11 & 16 months).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (09-09-2016)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Oh also...at that age ds loved storytime at the library, we made it a weekly routine on my day off for quite a while. Then we started going to a play group and I get along better with everyone there than I did with my mother's group. I love it because it helps me reconnect with ds after 4 days of work, plus I get to chat with other mums I actually have something in common with!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just want to clarify and say I generally do believe our daycare centre is very good. I was very impressed when I did a tour, I did 2 in fact as I'm thorough lol. another centre I looked at was ok but I wasn't blown away. so I'm definitely not looking to change centres, not yet anyway. it's not even been a month since he started so I think these are just early teething problems.

ds seems to enjoy daycare now he's settled in. I am told he is interacting well with the other babies and is "talking" lots (he talks at home when he's happy and delighted so I see this as a good sign).

I'll continue to address any issues I see as they come up and see where it takes us. if I continue to see the same issues cropping up repeatedly, I'll have to rethink him attending this centre.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-09-2016),witherwings  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You're doing a great job. It's really hard when you go back to work to get into the swing of it and it probably doesn't matter what age they start childcare, they get sick. My DS didn't start to closer to two as I planned a longer mat leave and luckily had family to help for some months. I would drive to work crying for weeks because I'd leave him crying for me, and he got sick. He was only 2 days and he still got sick constantly and so did the whole family. It totally sucks but it's pretty common.

I don't know if it was just coincidence but what did help us in getting less bugs was to bath him the second we got home. Or at the very least wash his hands in warm soapy water and change his clothes. It can be a total pain because then they get messy from dinner but our daycare room leader told me it can help and it really did for us.

The pull between home and work is hard. Make sure you buy yourself a nice bottle of wine for surviving the week!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    we have Friday through Sunday for recovery and he's always good after a couple of days at home! it's the Wednesday and Thursday that seems to get him, the 2 absences he's had from daycare have both been Thursdays.

I don't think it's fair to say "3 days is a lot for a 6 month old" - there are bubs in ds' room that have been there since 11 weeks old and most bubs in his room go 5 days a week. if a parent has to work and doesn't have an alternative for childcare, what are they supposed to do?
    TO be fair she did say that was her opinion. And in asking have I gone bak to work too soon that's a fair opinion. Rose went back to work when her eldest was 10 weeks old so I don't think you're being judged at all.

It's always going to be a loaded question. I am honestly now of the view that for me any earlier than 3 is too early. But that's what works for me and my family. I can't manage time off for recurrent sick leave as if I don't work I don't get paid. So I need the flexibility a nanny affords so I can still work when the kids are sick (nd yep deal with all the guilt that comes from that).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's no right time to return to work. It always sucks. Yes the sickness will happen for at least 6 months. The best advice I got was to start them two months before you return to work so they can start getting sick.

I wonder though if your boy would be more settled with 3 days at care in a row? I know he's tired after 2, but he might be better able to adjust if the 3 days were together.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a sahm for 7 years so can't comment on the return to work side of things...but being a sahm meant everyone in my mother's group went back to work, and it all fizzled out. None of us really kept in contact. I keep in contact with one, but I've been friends with her since I was 3. I really enjoyed the company of my mother's group...but that's life. It changes direction so much. I went to a playgroup and kindergym too...I keep in contact with two of those women...one because we did the same uni degree and now work in the same workplace, one because our children go to school together.
    My point is, the ending of mother's group does suck, but it will happen for everyone. It is a bit sucky you're the first, but it's not nice being the last either ☺
    As for sickness....only one of my kids went to daycare, the oldest, at 3 years of age. We dealt with a fair few nasty comd viruses in the first 6 months. We used to have a board that said what illnesses were in the centre...when I asked it was mostly the babies room, and then the toddlers room. It's unavoidable really. My other kids just did pre-school from 3 years of age, and there was far less sickness. If it becomes too much, you could look at family daycare, or a nanny.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hugs @turquoisecoast I think its always hard when they start daycare, whatever the age and, fwiw, I don't think six months is too young, some start much earlier and for the full week. DD started at 10 mths, did 2 x wk for 3 mths and now does 3 x wk. This winter has been horrendous. I've been told the first winter they have there is the worst and I hope that is true....DH and I have never been so sick either! I'm on day 15 of a sore throat atm! Its bad luck he started in the winter months but hopefully you should start to see an improvement soon.

What a PP said about bathing as soon as you get home, or at the least changing clothes and washing hands and face as they do get pretty grubby! We give DD the Inner Health probiotic and I find it works pretty well...often she will be the one kid without the dripping nose and when I ran out once and didn't have back up she was sick within a couple of days. When she does get sick I find if I can keep her home (or with MIL) on a Friday (she goes Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's) she's normally back up to speed again by the Monday.

We both have to work, like many others, and my family are in the UK. We do have MIL but FIL is in a nursing home on palliative care so we can't rely on her too much, its hard when you have limited help available and we just have to do the best we can. Like many other families I would guess!

Re the bottles, they might be washing them properly and not just rinsing....when DD was on bottles we just sent her with on which they kept there and it was properly washed each time it was used. I am pregnant now and we have to change centres in July as the one DD is at is closing down and the new one I have to send as many bottles as the new bay will be having in a day then wash the at home each night and send them back again. I guess they all have different procedures!

Just keep communicating with them as you want to be happy with where you are sending him and you must've had a good feel about the place

Re the mummy guilt, one month into daycare (so after about 6-8 days) DD ended up being hospitalised at the childrens hospital for a week and undergoing surgery for an abscess. Long story short it was nothing to do with daycare but I felt absolutely awful. And a bit guilty as I'd just gone back to work and had to take three weeks off sick (the wk in hospital and then 2 wks after while her immune system recovered). I felt like the worst mother ever when that happened xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree with pp's - I change DD's clothes, wash hands and face as soon as we get home!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    oh yes, I have to get that daycare smell off. ds loves putting his hands in the running water from the tap anyway so it's a fun game lol